back to article Assange: Australian neglect made me flee to Ecuador embassy

Julian Assange™ has spent his third night in the Ecuadorian embassy in London as he continued to await the outcome of his plea for political asylum from the South American country. In the meantime, the WikiLeaker-in-chief has been grumbling to a radio station that his homeland of Australia had ditched him in his hour of need …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
    Coat

Ditching him in his hour of need?

There might be a few (non-mutually exclusive) reasons for this:

a) Oz do not want to tick off the USA

b) Oz find him tiresome

Whining does not win many people over I am afraid.

Mine is the one with the Barmah hat (not an ozzie myself, though)

1. Chad H.

Re: Ditching him in his hour of need?

Or... Here's the most logical solution.

They didn't ditch him, never have, but Julian has a strange idea about what consular assistance can and cannot be provided.

They can't argue for you in court, or get you out of jail. If you're being mistreated as compared to a local then they can take action.

1. Jaybus

Well, really, the logical explanation is that he is simply trying to avoid extradition to Sweden because he knows he is guilty of breaking Swedish laws..

2. That Steve Guy

or

c) Australia already have an extradition treaty arrangement with Sweden and the UK (which they do) and they know any objections at this stage would be futile.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Julia Gillard - she is a public servant that plays along with the US global nazi regeime - she is not however Australia, nor is she a leader. She is just a chick on the public payroll.

It's also interesting to note that John Winston Howard, as a war mongering bullshit artist extraordinair, in my opinion as from one scam artist to another, he was and in genuinely frightened of George Bush and co., who is a drug fucked sociopath - with nukes.

His shit detectors hit red and he went all suck arse to the Coke Toting Lad Financed by the Rothschild Bank...

As I recall, the two women involved with this, it was a policitally motivated / driven CIA plant, by these two to set him up....

EVERY thing about this case is corrupt and crooked from the word go...

The people who are on the public payroll in Australia, ARE playing kiss arse to the American Nazis, and are gutlessly putting up and shutting up and bullshitting their way out of it, so that Assange goes down, and they go, "Ohhh tsk, tsk, tsk, but we never knew that this was going to happen and we did all we could to protect him..." - All the while fully knowing the American's game plan well in advance - of "We will get him and kill him, and if you fuck with us in the process - we will kill you too."

As a previous commenter noted, "However when considering this case one must remember that Sweden has a fast-track rendition treaty with the US (look up "temporary rendition) and that the US have a closed indictment ready."

I don't know if that IS true, but I believe it would be true......

If you want to know how the fucking American Bank / Military / Corporate complex works, see this text and these videos.

War is a Racket by Smedley Butler

http://www.lexrex.com/enlightened/articles/warisaracket.htm

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article4377.htm (has Audio)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3_EXqJ8f-0

Eisenhower Farewell Address (Full) where he warns of the Military Industrial Complex.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWiIYW_fBfY

Robert Newmans History of Oil

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5267640865741878159

John Pilgers "War on Democracy".

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3739500579629840148

War made Easy

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8383084962209910782

Food Incorporated (it all begins to tie in here)

http://vimeo.com/34457916

Fuel (2008) (have to search for this one)

http://thefuelfilm.com/

Look up on the US Federal Reserve - and the Fractional Lending Scam.

The American Dream Film-Full Length

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGk5ioEXlIM

Masters of the Universe, The Secret Birth of the Federal Reserve

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrwQac7IxkM

And there is MORE of the same and similar information available.

Check out how Monsanto operates - as a for instance.

Percy Schmeiser Vs. Monsanto

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzqLZSCsRLs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jsuhJ2mrf8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zXga2EKev8

When Assange and Co, lit this fire, this is the core of the issues that are being exposed.

It's not the diplomatic emails of where one US senator calls someone from some country a stupid fuck or that got released - it's the exposure of the whole racket - and how people are tying in the loose ends - that they are living in the "global matrix" of a scam - of finacial fraud, fake tax, wars for profit, that we no longer have a democracies, that we are living as unwitting shareholders in a corporation....

Our countries are corporate states...

This kind of all rounds it out...

Mike Daisey: Sleeping With The Enemy - Collaborating with Corporations Sells out the Human Race

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/bigideas/stories/2011/11/01/3352340.htm

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Did someone eat too many wheaties this morning? Go see your mom. She'll know what to do.

2. Local Group
        Thumb Up

@Oh4FS

BINGO

1. Local Group
          Thumb Up

Re: "Did someone eat too many wheaties this morning?"

"I'll have what they're having (points to someone eating bowl of cereal at another table)."

3. Matt Bryant Silver badge
        Stop

RE: Oh4FS

Wow! That has to be a wind-up? Surely no-one could be that silly?

2. Ross K Silver badge
    FAIL

Surely..

...it can't be that difficult to get him into a blacked-out Mercedes, and to make for the nearest airfield with a waiting Learjet???

Much ado about nothing methinks.

1. Ross K Silver badge
      Facepalm

Re: Surely..

I should add that the Learjet would be flying to Ecuador, not Guantanamo Bay...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I don't think his problem is with being extradited from Sweden to the US, that clearly isn't going to happen with all the publicity around this case.

More likely the aircraft he's on will have "technical difficulties" mid flight. That or shortly after arriving in sweden he'll get sick or he'll commit suicide.

But extradition is highly unlkely, unless that's what they want you to think.

1. david wilson

@AC

>>"More likely the aircraft he's on will have "technical difficulties" mid flight. That or shortly after arriving in sweden he'll get sick or he'll commit suicide."

Difficult to know what to say to that, since, as with much conspiracy nuttiness, it seems impossible to tell whether you're a joker taking the piss, or a fool being serious.

2. Matt Bryant Silver badge
          Facepalm

Re: Re: Surely..

"......More likely the aircraft he's on will have "technical difficulties" mid flight....." Why? Don't forget, the thing the WH/NSA/CIA want most is a discredited A$$nut, and at the moment his ego-trip moaning is making him look even more of a prime-time loser. The Obumbler must be rubbing his hands with glee at the thought that A$$nut scarpering off to Ecuador will probably keep the matter from coming to a head until after the US elections.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. amanfromearth

>> I should add that the Learjet would be flying to Ecuador, not Guantanamo Bay...

Nice try CIA.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
      Happy

"...it can't be that difficult to get him into a blacked-out Mercedes, and to make for the nearest airfield with a waiting Learjet???"

I think the police can arrest him as he walks out of the embassy, before he gets into the car. They could park it against the doors of the building, and try to block them, but isn't their embassy inside a block, so the police might be allowed inside the lobby anyway.

Perhaps they could open the sunroof, and he could jump out the window and land straight on the seat?

Anyway he's also got to get out of the car, and into the aeroplane. Plus it would create a diplomatic incident, and piss off the British government. We might send a rude note to their ambassador.

The Daily Telegraph got an ex government legal bod to help them. He said that the only way he could think of would be to make Assange their representative to the UN. That might give him retrospective immunity that worked in the UK, which they can't otherwise do. But the police would probably arrest him, and then it would back to the High Court, Court of Appeals, Supreme Court, European Court of Justice...

[We need a Keystone Kops icon for this]

3. BillG
      Mushroom

Surely it can b e difficult. The Ecuadorian Embassy is in a walk-up flat and there are about a dozen steps to get to the street. Even if he got to a car, it would be stopped, he'd be arrested on additional charges, and Ecuador would be in diplomatic trouble. He's already in trouble for breach of bail - if he tries to flee there would be criminal charges as well.

Assange has no chance of getting into a car and Ecuador knows that. More likely, Ecuadorian President Correa is using Assange as a tool to negotiate for something he wants from Great Britain,, possibly improved trade status, in exchange for happily turning Assange over to London police.

Isn't it strange that Assange chose Ecuador? Correa is someone that passionately suppresses freedom of the press. He's filed personal defamation lawsuits against journalists who disagree with him, has tried to force independent radio and TV stations out of business, and temporarily shut down radio and TV stations that criticized him. In June 9, Correa told his ministers to stop granting interviews with private journalists.

Assange's own show is financed by the Kremlin. Russia isn't exactly y known as a promoter of the free press, either.

Anyone else see a selfish pattern here?

For Assange, freedom of the press is less important than attacking the United States and saving his own conceited ass.

1. Local Group
        Thumb Up

Re: Isn't it strange that Assange chose Ecuador?

"Ecuador has made friendly noises about Assange in the past. In the November 2010, at the height of the media storm over WikiLeaks' disclosures, its government appeared to offer him sanctuary, and on Assange's newly-launched television talk show — which interviewed Correa via videolink earlier this year — the pair swapped jokes and messages of encouragement."

"It was during the interview that Assange received an offer of asylum, according to a woman who was present during the shows and familiar with the offer. She spoke on condition of anonymity because she was not authorized to speak to the media."

If we were were on the run, I suppose we would have picked Lichtenstein, but given Ecuador's previous offer of support, it had to be the country at the top of JA's list.

3. Gordon 10
    Flame

Whiney Man Child

Newsflash Julian - you were in court for extradition to answer questions about an alledged rape.

The only connection with US is in your head you narcissistic fucktard.

1. yossarianuk

Re: Whiney Man Child

Well its not like the USA have ever done the same in the past.....

Oh wait.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Well its not like the USA have ever done the same in the past.....

Oh wait."

Got any real world examples? Or is this all just something you saw in a movie once?

2. Thomas 4

The man is grinding my gears now

My mind is finding it harder and harder to associate "Julian Assange (TM)" with "Wikileaks" and easier to associate him with the term "bail jumping, narcissistic publicity whore".

The US don't need to go to any lengths to kill the credibility of Wikileaks, sadly. Julian Asshole is doing a superlative job himself.

1. Lars Silver badge

Re: The man is grinding my gears now

I am sad to say I agree, then again it would not surprise me if he is, or feels he is, very very alone with hes ego.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: The man is grinding my gears now

With an ego that big he's never going to feel alone..

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

[Quote]

The only connection with US is in your head you narcissistic fucktard.

[/Quote]

Apart from the fact that details of the US sealed endictment against Assange has been publically leaked, he might be a paranoid "narcissistic fucktard" - but that doesn't mean that they aren't out to get him, whether he deserves it or not, he is quite right to be petrified.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Err...

As if a member of the commonwealth is going to prevent another member of the commonwealth from extraditing one of its citizens to face questioning/trial in what is to all realistic intents and purposes an EU country. Not only that but one of the fairest places in the world to have to face any form of justice, with one of the penal systems most respectful to the prisoners it keeps.

5. Thomas 18
    Thumb Down

Bail terms

It's hard to see how bail terms that prohibit requesting political asylum is not a violation of human rights.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Bail terms

Are you for real? The bail terms are there to prevent fleeing from justice. It's not a human rights issue in the slightest.

2. Jeebus

Because if they didn't Assange would be free to pursue justice for these ridiculous charges from a place where they aren't openly manipulating his ticket to Guantanamo Bay.

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

If he'd applied for asylum before he *knew* he was going to be extradited, he would have had time to make the application, return home for his curfew and await their decision - so the bail conditions did not prevent him from applying for aslyum.

He has conducted himself in a very unbecoming manner which will make most people lose whatever faith they might have had in him - especially the people who ponied up his bail.

It looks like he has played himself just enough rope to hang himself.

3. geekclick
      Facepalm

"It's hard to see how bail terms that prohibit requesting political asylum is not a violation of human rights."

Erm they don't, they prevent him from leaving a specific address between specific times. Applying for asylum isn't what has broken the terms, staying out past his curfew is....

1. Local Group
        Big Brother

Re: Other Bail terms

You may not request political asylum in a month without an "R".

We gottcha.

6. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Lack of comprehension from our Jules

"he told Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) that the country where he was born had made an "effective declaration of abandonment" by declining to apply any political pressure to prevent Assange from being extradited to Sweden to face allegations of sexual molestation, rape and coercion."

What part of European Arrest Warrant does he not understand?

It's not extradition. The UK government and courts aren't supposed to get involved. The idea is supposed to be that all EU countries are equal, and we're therefore allowing their police to serve arrest warrants the same way ours can. There's no right for the Home Secretary to stop this, in the same way there isn't supposed to be for that other shitty extradition treaty we signed with the US. Therefore there's no avenue for Australia to use political pressure. Countries tend to get very pissed off, if other governments try to interfere with their judicial processes.

Now Julian has gone to a lot of court hearings. But all the stuff complaining about Swedish procedures and the way they went about their charges is a complete red herring. The UK courts are not supposed to have any jurisdiction over that. The only question that mattered is, does the treaty break something in our unwritten constitution. The Supreme Court ruled that even though Sweden has combined prosecutor/magistrates, whereas our police have to get warrants from independent judges, this was OK, and the treaty stands.

Perhaps if Assange stuck to complaining about stuff that's relevant, he might do better. He applied for residency in Sweden, so it's a bit late to complain about their laws now, and complain they're a banana republic. He should face the charges under the system he was happy to live under 18 months ago.

There's also no point complaining to the UK or Australian governments about it. If he didn't want to go back to Sweden, he should have run away to somewhere outside the EU.

1. Nigel 11

Re: Lack of comprehension from our Jules

Some time ago I suggested that the UK ought to obtain an undertaking from Sweden that Assange will not be deported from Sweden to any third country without first being offfered free passage back to the UK. I was told by another poster that we do not need such an undertaking, because it's already built in to the EU arrest warrant system. (Can anyone confirm?)

Draw your own conclusions.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Thumb Up

Cynically I think Mr Assange is picking countries based on the legal system. It would seem that the possible charges of which he is being accused in the various countries he might reside in, would be 'sex by surprise' in Sweden, "Rape" in the UK, and be innocent in Ecuador.

Not being cynical, this must just be a coincidence and Mr Assange's asylum application will be entirely based on Ecuador's record on 'Freedom of Speech'.

1. Windrose

'sex by surprise'

Known as "non-consentual sex" in Sweden and most other parts of the world, actually, but yes.

It is built into the terms of the system. Basically if Sweden wish to extradite him, the request would have to go through both our system and the Swedish one.

I believe I've seen quotes from both UK and Swedish government spokespeople to this effect.

1. Windrose
          Facepalm

Yes - both Swedish legal experts (one of whom is a judge as well) has made this quite clear. Under the EAW Sweden must ask the UK whether or not Assange can be extradited to the US.

A direct US<->Sweden treaty exist, which complicate stuff. However, that also pose the regular problems for our friends in the 5-gallon hats: first, they must charge Assange with something which IS a crime in Sweden (accepting documents from an informer is not), secondly they must not charge him with something he'll be executed for (espionage is PARTICULARLY complicated), and ...

The complications go on and on and on and on and we've not even touched 'pon the publicity shitstorm that would occur should they decide to break the rules.

1. Is it me?

Don't forget that for the US to extradite anyone from a signatory to the European Convention of Human Rights they have to take the death penalty off the table, and any other cruel and unusual punishment,

Personally I think Wa Julian is a cruel and unusual punishment for the rest of us.

I suspect that it would be more difficult for the US to get him out of Sweden than the UK as well, so do you know what, I think he's more afraid of being charged with a sex offence in Sweden than he is anything else.

7. A J Stiles
    Holmes

It's all a mess

Only one thing is abundantly clear amongst all this mess:

Whoever you are, wherever you go and whatever you do, be careful where you dip your wick.

8. Snowy Silver badge

Funny

In the meantime, the WikiLeaker-in-chief has been grumbling to a radio station that his homeland of Australia had ditched him in his hour of need.

When was the last time he lived in Australia, seems to me he had ditched them quite some time ago.

Before adding: "BUT there is no doubt that Assange has a real fear of being extradited to the US nor that the US gov is out to get WikiLeaks."

If the US wanted him what make him think the UK would say no any different to sweden?

1. Jeebus

Re: Funny

He's a commonwealth citizen, not a British citizen. It's far harder to extradite Assange from the UK than Sweden because of the convoluted nature of the Commonwealth system.

Seems to be something that is willfully ignored by those that for some reason have an issue with him trying to stop himself being executed for doing nothing wrong.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Thumb Down

Other than the fact that the UK has to agree to his extradition from Sweden to the US. In effect were he to return to Sweden it would be doubly difficult for the US to have him extradited.

Jeebus,

Have you got some evidence for that?

I wasn't aware that there was a commonwealth extradition procedure. So far as I understand the law, if you're in Blighty then our courts will respond to an extradition request from a country with which we have an arrangement. If it's the US, then you're supposed to just get sent out there, and all they need do is provide a court warrant asking for you. If it's the EU, then the same. Otherwise it's the normal process, where the requesting party must provide the evidence, and UK courts decide whether there looks to be a case to answer. Plus they rule if that country will shoot or torture you. Then finally the Home Secretary gets to sign off on it, or refuse, which is the point at which political/diplomatic pressure can come to bear.

So far as I understand it, that last stage is the only time Australia could intervene, other than in giving Assange normal consular services, i.e. helping him find a lawyer.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. laird cummings
        FAIL

Jeebus is Funny

"...trying to stop himself being executed for doing nothing wrong."

Assange is a fantasist with a massive ego problem and delusions of potence. He *has* to be enemy #1 of the US, or he's just a pissant little gadfly of limited relevance and even less power. Bin Laden, he is not - though he somehow magically thinks the US is actually threatened by him and his games. Megalomania, I'd say - and apparantly, you actually believe him, which I find rather entertaining.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Jeebus is Funny

I reckon that is actually his major fear of going to Sweden: imagine him getting into interrogation, then being thrown out onto the street without any charges - free to walk, and no movie style black helicopters hovering overhead ready to ship him to Gitmo. It would at show just how an insignificant speck of human remains he actually is (thus, reality would shine through this farce) and would force the deluded to find new things to rant about.

Yeah, I can imagine that that is what he REALLY fears: having to work again for a living..

5. david wilson

@Jeebus

>>"He's a commonwealth citizen, not a British citizen. It's far harder to extradite Assange from the UK than Sweden because of the convoluted nature of the Commonwealth system."

Assuming that that's actually true, why was he being lauded as some kind of genius for his intention to reside in Sweden before this whole thing started?

If it would have been easier for 'them' to 'get' him from Sweden than from the UK, why didn't 'they' just let him stay in Sweden of his own free will and then just surprise him with an extradition request, rather than pissing about and just drawing lots of attention to him?

And if 'they' were planning some great convoluted trap, why the fuck didn't 'they' keep track of him and stop him leaving Sweden in the first place, or just manufacture allegations serious enough and with enough supporting evidence to get him locked up on remand?

Is the CIA/whoever really not capable of even doing that, FFS?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Help Assange, help me

Someone in Hollywood please offer Assange an acting role, anything to satisfy his ego - and make him easier to avoid.

He's such a bore.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hopefully he will be extradited SOON

...so the B.S. can stop and he can face his accusers. Assange is very good at exploitation of the media.

11. Jason Hindle

Not a lot Aus can do

It's an issue under Swedish criminal law (albeit a highly suspicious one, bearing in mind the first Swedish prosecutor to look at the case laughed it off his desk) so in theory he should be extradited to Sweden and be investigated accordingly.

It's all pretty run of the mill (though see my suspicions above).

1. david wilson

@Jason Hindle

>>"It's an issue under Swedish criminal law (albeit a highly suspicious one, bearing in mind the first Swedish prosecutor to look at the case laughed it off his desk) "

Not really.

In fact, the first prosecutor to examine the case issued two charges and an arrest warrant.

The second prosecutor decided to withdraw the initial arrest warrant, taking the view that the allegations didn't justify the most serious charge, but she didn't stop the investigation around the accusations.

After the lawyer for the women making the accusations appealed, a third prosecutor looked at the case and she took a different view to the second one.

None of them seem to have 'laughed the case off their desk', and (despite what some Assange fans I've seen seem to want to believe) there doesn't seem to have been any time when 'the investigation was stopped' or 'all charges were dropped'.

12. Beachrider

Assange the journalist...

Assange is finished as a journalist. He published in a ways that left his source out-to-dry. The guy is serving hard time in a military confinement, while Assange jaunts around thinking of no one but himself.

A top flight journalist protects sources. That person also protects friends.

Assange is not likely to have many sources or friends in the near future.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

Re: Assange the journalist...

and on top of that he must be getting a bit short of celebrity mates with enough cash to stump up his bail.

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
        Happy

Re: Re: Assange the journalist...

"......he must be getting a bit short of celebrity mates....." It looks like he's hoping to gain a few in the Bolivarian Alliance for the Dictators of Our America clique, judging by his choice of Ecuador. I'm actually surprised he didn't jump for Venzuela right off the bat, but then Chavez probably wouldn't enjoy his weekly TV rambles with an ego as big as his own in town.

2. tom dial Silver badge
      Stop

Calling Julian Assange a journalist is an insult to the thousands of men and women who actually are.

3. Is it me?

yup, certainly not worried about those who stood his bail for him, bet they are a bit ticked off, even if they have more money than sense.

13. Mike Brown

One thing this does prove....

....is not to piss off the USA. Look at the mess the man is now in. An Australian applying for asylum, in the UK branch of Ecuador, to avoid going to Sweden where he may get snatched by the USA.

Dont annoy the merkins, they will either get you, or make your life a farce.

1. Jaybus

Re: One thing this does prove....

I think the worry about the US is ridiculous. Being found guilty in Sweden would serve their purposes, so why would they extradite him? He's a minor issue to the US. Their concern is more with finding their own traitors who sold Wikileaks the info, assuming any of it is real in the first place.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

is not to be an idiot by messing about with two volunteers in your own organisation, then flee the country, then jump bail when your appeal against extradition fails, and to top it all claim asylum in a corrupt South American country where anyone can be bought.

Never assume a conspiracy when it is more likely someone has been a dumbass.

1. Local Group
        Thumb Down

Re:"messing about with two volunteers in your own organisation"

Are you referring to those two paid, secret agents who infiltrated Assange's organization to entrap him with their "vaginas for hire"? You're probably more familiar with this manoeuvre when used as a device to blackmail oversexed Techies for their large, undeserved salaries.

Volunteers!!!! Ha Ha Ha.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You should really watch fewer Hollywood movies. Hint: the Avengers was FANTASY..

I would love to see ANY shred of evidence that the US has had an interest, let alone a hand in his Swedish affair. They don't need to - the man is perfectly capable of making a mess himself. A desire to manipulate the media (who are quite willing - anything that sells news) and a cathedral sized ego do not combine well with an apparent lack of insight in what the consequences of his actions are.

With his latest action he has managed not only to create a diplomatic incident which may see him declared Persona Non Grata (not publicly, but invitations will be thin on the ground now), but he has also pissed off the last people gullible enough to help him. No friends, no standing, no character and no future - all the US had to do was leave him alone..

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Or Else What ?

Endless repeats of Neighbours, Cell block H and Skippy ?

Even more Rolf Harris exposure ?

And for the finale compulsory listening of Jason Donovan records while being force fed Fosters lager.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Or Else What ?

"compulsory listening of Jason Donovan records while being force fed Fosters lager"

Cruel, but appropriate..

15. Local Group
    Trollface

England is quite anxious to get Assange off its soil.

A second cup of Plutonium tea for an individual who is a thorn in the side of another government is just going to look suspicious.

Not to mention what it will do to the UK's tea bag exports.

16. Killing Time

Assange the embarassment

I would think most self-respecting Aussies would consider him an embarrassment by now?

How much whining and self-pitying rhetoric can this guy spout before the Aussie embassy physically takes his passport back and bitch slaps him for bringing their country into disrepute.

I suspect the vast majority of his countrymen wish he would just keep quiet about his origins, 'grow a set' and face the music like a man.

17. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

What does Assange expect??

While the offense in Sweden seems rather dubious to me (sounds more like he is guilty of getting caught juggling two rather jealous women), its not like Sweden is some kind of third-world "rent-a-republic" where the law is bought all the time. I think if we examined the record of the Australian government we would find that they usually allow extraditions to Sweden to go through, because they can trust Sweden to not string up every perp they get their hands on.

Also, Assange's leaking of military documents has probably endangered some Aussie forces in Afghanistan, and pissed off some important people in the Australian government.

1. DaveDaveDave
      Facepalm

Re: What does Assange expect??

Er, he expects that people will bow down and kiss his feet because he is the messiah. Hence his defence to the rape claims being that it's not possible to fail to consent to sex with him.

1. Local Group
        Happy

Re: "that people will bow down and kiss his feet because he is the messiah."

I never heard of a messiah exclusively for women. Or do you know some guys who don't fail to consent to sex with him. This could blow a hole in Assange's defense.

Do you have any names or photos?

18. pewpie
    Big Brother

Live by the sword..

Wikileaks claim to promote complete FOI - but they censor leaks as they see fit.

Guy is totally untrustworthy in every capacity - time to pay the piper. He lost my support the day wikileaks started self-censoring.

19. Boris S.

Poor, poor Assange

No one cares about him so he ask for asylum to escape accountability for his actions. Me thinks he's headed to Sweden to face trial.

20. Local Group
    Meh

"You spout pure bullshit, but I will defend to the death your right to spout it."

Sweden is not your father’s Sweden. Far from a haven of conscience, the Stockholm government was condemned by Human Rights Watch in 2006 for its complicity with the CIA going back to the September 11, 2001 period. The United Nations Commission on Torture in May 2005 found Sweden in violation of Article 3 of the torture convention when it turned over two individuals to the CIA who were renditioned to Egypt where they subsequently were tortured. Sweden remains in non-compliance with the UN findings even today."

"The US Military has confirmed the authenticity of newly released video showing US forces indiscriminately firing on Iraqi civilians. On Monday, the website WikiLeaks.org posted footage taken from a US military helicopter in July 2007 as it killed twelve people and wounded two children. The dead included two employees of the Reuters news agency, photographer Namir Noor-Eldeen and driver Saeed Chmagh."

"Here’s the smell of the blood still. All the perfumes of Arabia (and all Assange's egotism and hateful behavior) will not sweeten this little hand. (and make what the US and NATO have done one whit more acceptable.) What's done can not be undone. Look not so pale.—I tell you yet again, Assange is buried; he cannot come out on ’s grave."

En fin, many of you should spend less time commenting about Assange and focus your attention on Kim Kardashian's hooters, about which you are more qualified to speak.

1. Evil Genius
      Black Helicopters

Re: "You spout pure bullshit, but I will defend to the death your right to spout it."

"Tits" seems quite appropriate for both JA and KK.

Lets face it, if the US really, really wanted JA, they'd have him by now. A G5 into Lakenheath, Spec-Ops team to Bungay when he was staying there, quick jab with a syringe and night-night. Wakes up in an ex-Cold War safe house in Virginia. Despite what some think of the CIA etc. they are more than capable of pulling it off and denying any knowledge,

I even saw it in a film once so it must be true.

1. Local Group
        Happy

Re: I even saw it in a film once so it must be true

I saw that film too.

It was called 'The Winslow Boy' (like 'The Assange Boy'), but it was a very similiar story. Great cast: Robert Donat, Sir Cedric Hardwicke, Margaret Leighton.

It was set in England 100 years ago. I guess government was a teeny bit more honorable then.

2. pewpie
      Coat

Re: "You spout pure bullshit, but I will defend to the death your right to spout it."

Just climb down out of your faux-ivory tower for one moment of your meaningless existence and answer me this question.

Would you trust Julian Assange with your admin passwords?

1. Local Group

I have no love for JA. Nor do I care what his breath smells like or whether or not he changes his underwear. If I had any admin passwords I wouldn't trust my dead mother with them.

The only thing important to me about JA, is the veracity of the crap he released documenting the behavior of America. And that behavior is no better than that of Genghis Khan and the Mongols. The Ramones of the 13th century.

Feh.

1. pewpie
          Paris Hilton

Wikileaks released it.. not solely face-man assange.. Yeh wikileaks were real open - the way they redacted and prescribed every page worth reading.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

3. david wilson

>>"Sweden is not your father’s Sweden. Far from a haven of conscience, the Stockholm government was condemned by Human Rights Watch in 2006 for its complicity with the CIA going back to the September 11, 2001 period."

It might not be someone's father's Sweden, but it is the Sweden Assange was seemingly trying to live in.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Assange is no different than anyone else

He must return to Sweden to face his accusers.

1. Local Group
      Meh

Re: Assange is no different than anyone else

"He must return to Sweden to face his accusers."

And why would he do that? Out of some sense of honor? As long as he is welcome in the Ecuadorean embassy and as long as he prefers that confinement to the solitary kind he can expect in the US, I'm pretty sure he ain't going nowhere.

Perhaps Ecuador will get the PM's permission to let Assange go there or to some heretofore unmentioned country.

Assange followed the travail of Bradley Manning. And therefore has no intention of opening the door to the Swedish court room and announcing "Heeeeer's Julian.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Assange is no different than anyone else

...because extradition treaties allow the return of suspected criminals to the country where they alleged committed the crime, so that they can be interrogated and prosecuted if there is sufficient evidence.

22. DaveDaveDave
    Devil

Y'know, if Assange was so worried that the US was trying to get him, perhaps he should have considered not raping two women in Sweden and then fleeing the country. Of course, he's not actually worried about the US at all, but simply about being found guilty of the rapes he foolishly admitted to before realising they were in fact crimes under Swedish law.

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

Sir

These rapes, iirc they involved willing participants (to the act). I think the accusation is that he didn't use a condom, which isn't a crime here as far as I'm aware (Uk), but apparently is in Sweden.

Not supporting JA, but when people bandy about terms like 'raping two women' it needs to be put into context.

1. david wilson

Re: Sir

>>"These rapes, iirc they involved willing participants (to the act). I think the accusation is that he didn't use a condom, which isn't a crime here as far as I'm aware (Uk), but apparently is in Sweden."

What he's accused of seems to be something less than what many people might think of as 'rape', but it's really more than 'not using a condom', it's having sex without a condom or after a condom had broken while knowing the woman hadn't consented to that .

I'd have thought that in the UK, if a woman consented to safe sex and a man penetrated her without using a condom, or continued sex after knowing a condom had broken, he'd be on fairly thin ice when it came to the issue of consent, certainly morally and possibly legally.

2. Matt Bryant Silver badge
        Facepalm

".....it needs to be put into context." Here's some context then - he refused to be tested for STDs after the complaint; skipped Sweden when he was told he was wanted for questioning; refused to return to Sweden when asked to; fought the extradition back to Sweden whilst spouting a load of holier-than-thou male bovine manure; and has now skipped his bail to hide in a foreign embassy with the intention of avoiding going back to Sweden and facing trial. Is that enough context for you, or do I need to use smaller words?

1. Sir Runcible Spoon
          Mushroom

Thanks for the additional info, especially you Matt. Not sure why you would need to use smaller words though, I think your post was quite readable.

Now take your head out of your arse you confrontational wank-stain.

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
            Facepalm

Re: Re: Sir

"....Now take your head out of your arse you confrontational wank-stain." Aw, did you stamp your little foot when you typed that? If anyone has a restricted point of view, your blind faith in St Julian demonstrates that it is you with your head up his a$$. Obviously, the lack of oxygen up there was the only reason you were unable to answer the points I raised in putting it in context, n'est pas?

A$$nut is not stupid, he didn't run off to cry in Correa's lap until after it was clear his legal evasions were running out of steam. He also was smart enough to find some celebrity dupes to foot his bail bill. Ah well, a fool and their money..... I expect that if St Jules gets his asylum we will hear regular anti-Yank announcements in support of his new "socialist" chums, all the while rebuilding his little capitalist paywall moneymachine. Anyone notice how the Followers of St Jules are spending so much more time and effort on defending his rediculous bedroom antics (which would attract the tiniest of punishments), and seem to have forgotten about Manning (who is looking at fifty years)....

23. John Deeb

secret

Assange based his fear on the leaked email from Fred Burton, the vice president of Stratfor : "We have a sealed indictment on Assange. Pls protect."

Even Assange's own lawyers have warned for him an indictment as it's quite possible there has been more contact between Manning and Assange than previously spoken of. Or even without this they might want to trial him anyway even if there's just a suspicion.

All in all it's not "crazy" of "unfounded" to take some precautions if self-determination is what one desires (and Julian is highly self-determinate and in need of control). Although one could speculate on why Assange seems so sure the indictment will follow. Perhaps he did more than just publishing in this case? In any case there are many possible rational self-preserving reasons for Assange to behave as he did. Not that there are journalists these days capable of finding anything out without a whistle-blower handing it to them on a silver platter.

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Let justice prevail

Send Assange to Sweden to face his accusers.

25. Bleo

Asylum

Kelly Fiveash is of the opinion that Assange's request for asylum is "Bizarre", but then, El Reg, like me, is becoming curmudgeonly in it's old age. I am of the opinion that it's an entirely appropriate move from a man who has tried to engage with dishonest forces and who now knows how few his options are.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like