back to article AMD puts network, chip guru in charge of Opterons

AMD's new CEO Rory Read has been shaking things up in the past couple of months while at the same time settling things down – particularly on the Opteron server chip front. To help accomplish both, he's made a major management move, hiring Suresh Gopalakrishnan to be vice president and general manager of AMD's server business …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Nate Amsden

Gopalakrishnan

quite a mouthful!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Gopalakrishnan

How should I know? Try asking his partner.

2. P. Lee

take a leaf from ARM

Process migration across cores and low power cores for when the system isn't doing much.

How about some power-saving graphics cards which go to sleep (and put their fans to sleep) when the screen is off/sleeping?

I know, way off topic, but personally, I'd rather have lots of cpus/blades with excellent power management than all that expensive virtualisation software need to manage things now that they have been virtualised.

1. James Turner

Re: take a leaf from ARM

Isn't the process migration something the OS should be doing? AMD and Intel already shut down many bits of their CPUs (including whole cores) when they're not in use.

AMD are already doing that with their latest generation graphics cards, they're calling it 'ZeroCore'.

The problem with lots of small servers is the overhead. Even your dinky little ARM servers are going to be using some power all the time. Whereas in a virtual environment you'll have fewer servers so the base load of them sitting idle will be less. You can even shut down servers completely if the load isn't sufficient for them all to be running.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Must be an Irish dude?

...or NOT! <LOL>

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like