back to article Oracle will roll out cloudy services next week – Ellison

Oracle is planning to launch a new suite of cloud software products and services in the first week of June, billionaire chief exec Larry Ellison said. "We’re announcing the general availability of the Oracle Cloud: Platform as a Service, Database Service, Java Service and a bunch of applications," Ellison said during an …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. John Riddoch
    Thumb Down

Overused term...

The word "cloud" has been co-opted by so many disparate applications & uses that it ceases to have much meaning. Virtual web hosting, the likes of which I used 10 years ago would now be called "cloud web hosting" or something, your VMWare farm in your DC is now your "private cloud".

It's not so much cloud computing I dislike, it's the rampant drive to put the "cloud" label on anything and everything because it's hip & trendy. Then of course you get IT managers desperate to get on the bandwagon because it gives them something to talk about on the golf course, never mind if the strategy makes sense (to be clear - sometimes it makes perfect sense, other times it doesn't).

In this, at least, I can agree with Larry...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ah yes, "cloud"

Which, as Scott McNealy recently noted, is just a short way of saying "The network is the computer". Took Larry a while to get it...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Ah yes, "cloud"

That's pretty much nonsense...if anything young Lazzer came in right at the start...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_Computer

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: right at the start?!!

That wikipedia entry you point to quotes Ellison's Network Computer as dating fom 1996. Sun was using "The Network is the Computer" from 1984.

right at the start my ass...

1. TheCreditCruncher

Re: right at the start?!!

fair enough...wasn't at the start....but was early on.

The cloud fanbois are only just understanding its value.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Ah yes, "cloud"

The "cloud" hype is an area where Larry actually is right. "Cloud" is a marketing innovation, not a technical innovation. Everyone has their own definition too... generally using more of whatever the vendor is selling = cloud.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Joyent partnering?

I wonder if they'll be partnering with Joyent who has already built a cloud solution around OpenSolaris. I'd rather see something like that than another product. I don't see it happening, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Larry and the "cloud"

Larry is right is saying that the "cloud has already achieved dominance in the industry because we have redefined cloud to include everything we already do." Private "cloud" equals dynamic virtualization, provisioning automation, chargeback.... basically features which have been around since the 1970s mainframes. "Cloud" is only a revelation if you have had your head up Microsoft.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like