back to article EU politicos put the boot into sickly ACTA

Three European Parliament committees have rejected the barely breathing Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement (ACTA). Those opinions have now been sent to the International Trade committee, which is expected to to give its verdict on the 21 June. MEPs on the civil liberties committee urged that ACTA in its current form should …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Good old UK

You have to love the way our leaders just sign away without any regard for what they are signing. Or is it to do with the "Special US Relationship" (TM) ?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Good old UK

It doesn't need to be booted out, it needs to be set on fire and all those responsible should be added to the pyre.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Good old UK

You guys should leave the EU. You would like that. You would be able to foster that special relationship even more then :-)

3. Graham Wilson
      Flame

Re: Good old UK -- And don't forget the silly puppy at the bottom of the planet.

Australian diplomats and pollies must be lonely, seems they'll sign anything for attention. Others say it must be the freebie drinks syndrome, so it's sign first then head for the ethanol party.

Treaties are one aspect of government that these fuckers keep to themselves, and for some peculiar reason the great unwashed haven't figured out that treaties actually affect them.

If they knew to what extent they'd be rioting in the streets and demanding that at all treaties go to a referendum first.

Funny isn't it how the section on treaties in the constitutions of many countries seems to leave out any notion of consulting citizens first?

2. g e
    FAIL

Special relationship...

As oft-mentioned in Spartacus..

Involving bending over, natch

Failure Kingdom

1. Mexflyboy
      Coat

Re: Special relationship...

I don't mind the bending over, but I wish the US would at least buy the UK dinner and a movie first!

3. irish donkey
    WTF?

What a waste of money

What is the point in spending money buying bloody politicians if the great unwashed are just going to go a thumb their nose at us.

This is not the way it's supposed to be.

Shame on the UK Government, Europe once more defending your citizens for you.

4. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Eguro
      Thumb Up

Re: sad

I don't mean to argue about it with you, I just wanted to say that I admire your great knowledge of the world!

Having seen first hand that you have to belong to the cultures, in all the European countries!

I'm amazed. And once again, I'm not arguing with you, just voicing my admiration.

2. asdf
      FAIL

Re: sad

Ok point taken. Did work in about a dozen countries but only really lived for a more than a few years in one and to avoid naming names (cough big country in central Europe) it is not fair to extrapolate (but would argue big time about that one country).

5. Graham Marsden
    Big Brother

"we must not accept...

"...nor can we allow the erosion of basic fundamental rights in Europe, and around the world, for expediency's sake"

Unless you're the British Government...

1. This Side Up
      Flame

Re: "we must not accept...

The British Government doesn't give a toss about individuals from 5 minutes after the general election. It only listens to its friends in big business and the City. Somuch for the Big Society!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Childcatcher

de brief?

Wouldn't it be nice if in the UK we could go back to those politicians who voted for this and ask them in the light of its rejection by the EU, why they didn't listen to their voters, what was really driving them towards this in such an underhand and opaque way..... and more importantly why they expect those same people to vote for them next time.

I don't doubt they would lie as they always do, but a little squirming would be good.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not to worry

More treaties will pass to punish pirates. It just takes time to educate the technically illiterate politicians.

This topic is closed for new posts.