back to article Google+ deposits Places in toilet after hungry Zagat buy

Google+ users still aren't sharing anywhere near as much as Google might like them to, so, perhaps to help the reluctant Web2.0 networkers along, the company has added a new local tool that has effectively killed off the Places product. Mountain View has replaced all of those pages with new Google+ Local pages. The search …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Trying too hard with +/- thing. Let us know when you call it quit. I bet all of their employees are forced to use + otw you're out the door.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Very good it is too.

The only thing missing is the HTML5 location API to work out where you currently are.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

yeah, the stench of failure

is stong from the corpses of Googles social media projects. They will never catch Facebook, and ultimately, that will kill them (well, they will be left with an operating system for phones that makes them no money). Ho hum.

1. JimmyPage Silver badge
      Alert

Do't be so sure of that ...

The great ponzi scheme that is Facebook has ground to a halt. Facebook penetration has reached the 80% of all the people who would ever use it. So in order to bulk up their worth, they need to expend effort on (a) reaching that last 20% (and here I am remined of the project managers motto that the first 20% of a project takes 80% of effort, and the remaining 80% also takes 80% of the effort), or (b) increasing the net value of the existing users.

It's a tough gig. Whilst commercial concerns are quite happy to have a FB presence, and encourage people to "like" them, it's questionable whether they would be willing to *pay* for that.

FB is a little like a piece of copper. Loads of electrons wondering around at random - however for it to thrive it needs to be able to extract a voltage from them.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: yeah, the stench of failure

Sorry but you are so wrong.

I have very rich social circles in G+ and the quality of conversation is so much better.

Of course G+ isn't just a Facebook competitor, it's a Twitter one too, and FAR more useful than Twitter ever could be.

Try using your favorite #tag during popular events and you get RICH content feeds, not stupid text-only shite.

I frequently attend the awesome #fridayrockshow

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"I have very rich social circles in G+ and the quality of conversation is so much better."

Surely the quality of conversation is dependent on the people participating, not the location of that conversation?

Or are you suggesting that the exact same group of people reserve their most cerebral musings for Google+ and use Facebook for trivia?

2. OkKTY8KK5U

I'm seriously not trying to troll you here, and I realize this is going to sound kind of mean, but: are you attempting to extrapolate a pattern from a single data point?

Your anecdote arguably proves that it's possible to have a rewarding experience on Google+, not that necessarily that it'll be a common one. Nor does it prove that those of us who, whether we like it or not, have a critical mass of interactivity on Facebook can successfully persuade them to jump ship. Whether or not that ship is sinking. It's cool that you're having a good time there, but this sounds very much like a "it works for me!" response to a bug report. Maybe I misunderstood you, though.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Google+ is not facebook

I wish people would stop comparing Google+ to facebook. Who compares Twitter to facebook? Or LinkedIn?. I use each social network for different things. Facebook is for friends (although normally the slightly less technical ones, or ones that I'd previously have used friendsreunited to link with), LinkedIn for work/networking, twitter for bite sized chunks of everything right now, and Google+ for keeping up with my interests (and my more technically savvy real friends).

Lets face it, most of the Google+ haters are just Farmville addicts :D

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like