back to article PayPal whips out barcode app for high-street glad rags

PayPal's barcode-driven payment app has crossed the pond and now works in all manner of UK high-street stores … as long as they're selling women's frocks. Oasis, Coast, Warehouse and Karen Millen are chains that have taken the PayPal shilling - so (deep breath) wander into any of those, pick a new outfit, open PayPal's iOS or …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Pete the not so great
    Go

Put in a PIN

so you can avoid putting in a PIN, cool

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Laser scanners on reflective screens

I'm intrigued to see if that really works. We use decent laser barcode scanners where i work.

They usually come with a configuration manual full of configuration bar codes . We have to print them out as the scanners will not read them off of our screens for some reason.

1. nigel 15

Re: Laser scanners on reflective screens

try enlarging the image on the screen. i don't think it's a reflective issue it's just that the bar width have to be reasonably accurate and if a line needs to be 0.8px wide it can't be read. mobile screens are much higher dpi.

1. Boring Bob

Re: Laser scanners on reflective screens

Could it be because 1D laser barcode scanners work on reading the reflection of the laser beam so need a support that is based on reflection (e.g. paper) and not on emission (e.g. telephone screen)? However scanners that are based on a camera (some 1D and all 2D barcode scanners) will work with both reflective and emission based supports.

3. Lusty

Barklaycard now have a sticker to turn any phone (or other object for that matter) into an NFC payment system. You could stick it to a glove and pretend to be a Jedi :)

1. rwbthatisme
      Coat

these are not the goods you are shopping for

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The purse is strong with this one...

5. Richard Cartledge
    Unhappy

Switch-offable money. Just what the new world order ordered.

6. Rob

I'm assuming...

... the paypal app requires an internet connection, which in some shops, especially if it's a till in a basement, might prove problematic.

1. joeW

Re: I'm assuming...

I can see how the till/POS system would need an Internet connection, but why would the app on the phone?

7. Bob Vistakin
    FAIL

Sigh. "All the popular phones" = no WP7

This is getting tedious, but it needs pointing out nevertheless. Ok microsoft apologists, over to you. Remember, if you're plum out of arguments you can always have a go at me personally.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Sigh. "All the popular phones" = no WP7

Re: Sigh. "All the popular phones" = no WP7

"Sigh. "All the popular phones" = no WP7

This is getting tedious, but it needs pointing out nevertheless. Ok microsoft apologists, over to you. Remember, if you're plum out of arguments you can always have a go at me personally."

What is tedious is when persons whom have never even tried winphone make unsubstantiated comments. To those I say you’re making yourselves look stupid. I have more respect for considered consumers, those who weigh the pros and cons and don't just jump on the bandwagon.

HAHAHAHA, like there's many considered consumers out there anymore!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So...you still have to queue at the tills? Am I missing something? What's the advantage over paying via debit/credit card?

Maybe if a shop assistant was hovering around the jeans and was able to process the sale without having to queue at the tills. This would be in the shops' interest too as I've often put items back after having second thoughts, a few minutes of wandering around later.

1. cs94njw
      Thumb Up

Marginally faster I guess. But a good point.

2. Ole Juul

Cheaper

Am I missing something? What's the advantage over paying via debit/credit card?

I don't know about debit cards but around here a merchant account for Visa can charge up to 15% transaction fee. Larger or older vendors usually pay considerably less, but Paypal is still the best deal around.

1. nick47

Re: Cheaper

15%? Where are you? I'm in Argentina and I thought that 10% was as bad as it got.

3. HipposRule

Depends if it's just for PayPal

If the sales assistant could 'hover' and was only doing Paypal ok, however Wireless and PCI are a complete and utter minefield and I can't see a retailer deploying an device 'just' for Paypal (I am assuming paypal is out of scope here).

1. Lusty

Re: Depends if it's just for PayPal

"If the sales assistant could 'hover' and was only doing Paypal ok, however Wireless and PCI are a complete and utter minefield and I can't see a retailer deploying an device 'just' for Paypal (I am assuming paypal is out of scope here)."

Take a look at an Apple store. You'll be surprised what can be achieved if someone can be arsed to put some effort in.

1. HipposRule

Re: Depends if it's just for PayPal

Probably Bluetooth then though I've no idea why that should be any different to wireless.

9. This post has been deleted by its author

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

...women are from Venus.

"It can't be coincidence that PayPal is launching its new barcode service exclusively across frock shops, where customers might not have the showiest hardware..."

I'm sorry? I work by the HQs of Monsoon Accessorize and Cath Kidston, oddly enough populated 90%+ by twenty-something ladies. The vast majority of them have phone-cum-makeup-mirror iPhone4's (yes, white ones).

If you're unlucky enough to get dragged around ladies clothes shops (c'mon, help me out here guys) you'd notice the same in their customer base. A huge proportion of them are young ladies with smartphones (usually iPhones)...

But like you say, is it _that_ hard to find space in the latest 420-litre Louis handbag (or yes, a pocket) for a few 1mm thick slabs of plastic? And do we get a cut of the saving? nah.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like