back to article Dell Windows 8 tablet, hybrid details leak

Dell's tablet plans for 2012 have slipped out, revealing a chunky Windows 8 slate and a tablet-laptop hybrid also set to run with Microsoft's tile-centric OS. A leaked company product slide shows the upcoming Dell Latitude 10 to be a dual-core tablet with a 10.1in, 1366 x 768 pixel display, Neowin reports. Dell Latitude 10 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pretty crap resolution for a laptop or tablet these days.

1. Horridbloke
      Windows

License nonsense?

Do Intel still limit by licencing what hardware can be attached to an atom processor? I think I remember limits on memory, hard drive capacity and physical screen size in the past. Is there an upper limit on screen pixel counts?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Is this the one they misplaced two years ago and found again when they moved offices?

It's certain to be successful, cough cough cough....

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

fail

So LG can make a 5in phone screen that can do true HD, yet Dell can only manage 1366x768 on a 10in screen?

Anything over 8in should be cabable of true HD these days. It should be top priority for all in the industry to be getting all screens 8in and over up to a decent resolution at an acceptable price.

3. jason 7

Looks a parts bin special...

..if ever I saw one.

All those bits left over from when they tried to make Windows 7 tablets.

Fine if you liked lugging around a hot chopping board for a tablet.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Latitude ST?

Ive got 60 of the Dell Latitude ST Slates. Running Windows 7. They are horrible with win7, wireless drops in and out, they are really slow. The stylus is clunky. Hopefully windows 8 will be better on them (the Consumer Preview keeps crashing with the win7 drivers) but this new offering doesnt seem to offer much more in terms of hardware spec.

1. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Re: Latitude ST?

My Latitude ST can play TV-recorded videos since I turned Aero off. But it frequently freezes with the swirly wheel for a minute or so, any tips? Also, is the Nero software worth installing?

The "new" machine looks very much like what I'm tapping out this on.

5. Steve Todd
    FAIL

So they've created

an expensive, fat ASUS Transformer clone, with worse battery life, the disadvantages of WinRT without the ARM CPU that it's targeted at (and not enough oomph to run full fat Win8) and a crap screen. What on earth are they thinking?

1. dogged

Re: So they've created

It should run full-fat Win8 without issue. The Acer Iconia W500 runs it in 1GB of RAM, after all. And a worse chip.

1. Arctic fox

@dogged. RE "The Acer Iconia W500 runs it "

Yep, it does. Ours lives on the kitchen table currently. I will not say that it is an amazing experience given that the hardware is poor but it runs significantly better with 8 on board than it did with 7.

6. JDX Gold badge

Boring

We already know you can cram a regular PC into thick, heavy slate. It's been happening for years and is precisely the form factor that totally failed to take off.

I want to see proper W8 tablets competing against iPad and Android.

7. Shagbag

Fugly.

1. hplasm
      Happy

Look carefully-

Part tablet, part laptop, part tea-trolley. Where are the castors though?

8. Milo Minderbinder
    Devil

Did I spy

rounded corners?

Or are they allowed now (hav'nt followed the Apple/Samsung sideshow for some time now).

1. Milo Minderbinder
      FAIL

Re: Did I spy

Oops - should be haven't, of course!

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

it will be a bargain

at around £800 - £900 mark. I'm sure people will line up at the door of the flagship Dell stores weeks before the official launch.

10. George 24

Low specs!!!

Why bother with an atom processor? If one wants to have a low power tablet, get an ARM... If you want to run x86/64 then get a i5/i7 or a AMD APU. 2GB RAM, including graphics?? What is wrong with 4GB? Better resolution is also needed. Could also have larger SSD.

The duo format is not the way to go, the tablet has to be removable, ASUS transformer style.

Dell does not seem to have learned anything from the failures that Latitude ST and Inspiron Duo are.....

11. jim 45

buzzword needed

Something this heavy and thick needs its own category - 'tablet' is taken. Jeez I just had a scary thought - is there a cooling fan? What is this but a laptop in 2 pieces?

1. jason 7
      Trollface

Re: buzzword needed

Windows Slab?

Windows Skillet?

Really I'd love MS to come up with a good tablet based around Windows but jeez they are making it so painful.

Especially when the competition are making Android tablets for £150 or less that will cater for much of what a tablet is used for such as browsing and email with a little Angry Birds and video on the side.

How complex and expensive does such a device have to be? Not very, as each month goes by.

By Xmas MS will be up against 10" £99 IPS dual core tablets.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The competition isn't making tablets for £150. They are making them for around £500 but are failing to sell any real volume, so the are selling at a considerable loss in a bid for market share, which unlike in the 80's and 90's doesn't count for shit if it's coming at a financial loss.

1. Chet Mannly

"The competition isn't making tablets for £150."

So you've never heard of the Kindle Fire then?

1. Arctic fox
            Thumb Down

RE: "So you've never heard of the Kindle Fire then?"

The Fire is only relevant in this context if you can explain how Asus, Samsung, Acer etc can make any money selling Android or Windows tablets at cost.

2. jim 45

"Headstone".

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hi my name is Michael Dell. Would anyone like a fried egg?

13. Mikel
    FAIL

Vaporware

Here, let's review the tablets they were beating the drum for over two years ago. Where are they now? http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/gadget/3210030/the-10-most-talked-about-tablet-pcs-at-ces-2010/?pn=1

14. Charlie Clark Silver badge

What's the exta depth for?

I assume it (the pad) comes with a fan just in case the cores actually have to do some work? 710g is just about acceptable.

The "meccano" one is too heavy for an Air clone: 1.1 kg max. And, as others have said, Asus' approach to mixing an matching tablets and notebooks seems better: the keyboard not only comes with keys, duh, but an extra battery pack.

1. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Re: What's the exta depth for?

I don't think there's a fan in my Latitude ST. It doesn't usually get very hot.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like