back to article Toshiba America says no to new netbooks

Another sure sign the netbook's day is done: Toshiba's US wing has confirmed it will no longer offer new versions of the laptop-lite machines. Wondering where the heck the Intel Atom N2600-based Toshiba NB510 had got to, US netbook site Liliputing asked the company when the Cedar Trail machine might be expected to arrive …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Haku

So long as I can source 2nd hand netbooks in the forthcoming years I'll be happy, batteries are not a problem as the Chinese keep producing laptop batteries for laptops that aren't made anymore and if push comes to shove I could replace the cells in a pack myself, I do not have any desire for a smartphone or tablet, I like my portable computing devices to have real keyboards.

1. Volker Hett

so an ultrabook wouldn't be too wrong, would it?

1. Haku

Short answer: too big, too expensive.

1. Richard 120

how about a tablet with a usb keyboard/cover addon?

no problem with dodgy hinges being integral to the product, the hinge goes on the case it'll be cheaper and easier to replace, effectively a modular netbook with added benefit of touchscreen.

1. Haku

The tablet would need to run Windows as there are some programs I use on my Asus Eee's that just do not exist on other OSs and there are no equivilants that do the same job.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Ultrabooks=Made by people who think they know what the consumer wants.

Net books=What the consumer wants discontinued by those that make them.

It's all to do with profit margins.

2. James 51

When ultrabooks are the same price as netbooks I'll consider buying one.

1. Hoagiebot
      Thumb Up

Re: When Ultrabooks are the same price as netbooks...

Man, you really hit the nail on the head right there, James 51-- I couldn't agree with you more! While I don't think that I would ever want to replace a full-sized laptop or a desktop machine with a netbook for any kind of serious development work or content creation, my little Acer Aspire One netbook is great for taking notes and following along with programming examples at programming seminars, IT conferences, and computer user group meetings. It's just so small, light, and convenient to take with me, and its keyboard keys are big enough for my sausage-fingers to easily type with. And even better, netbooks are cheap, and they really do provide good performance "bang for the buck" considering how inexpensive that they are. Just as you stated, if the more powerful Ultrabooks were being sold at less expensive netbook prices (say, $250), I would definitely replace my netbook with one, but until that day comes my beloved netbook is just fine!

3. Uncle Slacky Silver badge

Old netbooks never die...

...at least, the SSD-based ones don't seem to, and fulfil their original, intended purposes admirably, so there's hardly any replacement market for them.

Sent from my Asus EEE 701 4G (4.5 years old)

4. Dotter

Good riddance

A lot of the Toshiba netbooks were tacky even for netbooks, anyway.

5. JaitcH
    FAIL

I say no to TODH and TOSHiba

TOSHiba's on-line warranty support is TOSH.

I religiously registered the ownership of a TOSHiba laptop, bought an extended warranty.

Travel to Toronto and the thing quits. Call their automated telephone system, push an amazing amount of buttons and squat. Doesn't recognize my registration.

TOSHiba is rental car distance outside Toronto - no time.

End up having to call the Far East to get help, along with a big telco bill.

To hell with TOSH, of any kind.

6. druck Silver badge
    Thumb Down

10" old model netbook £249

10" current model netbook £306

10" new model ultrabook £800+ ?

All with the same crappy low res screens and underperforming chipset.

7. DrXym

Doesn't make much sense

Toshiba is proposing dropping netbooks, which cost £200 or thereabouts and selling ultrabooks which cost £800 or thereabouts. And they think people who were previously going to buy a netbook will splash 4x as much out on an ultrabook? More likely they'll just buy a netbook from another manufacturer.

8. keithpeter Silver badge
    Linux

Samsung NC10 rust still spinning...

I have a Samsung NC10 bought second hand of e*ay for not much and working fine with a decent keyboard (the EeePC bends when I type, hate that). It came with WindowsXP so I cleaned the hard drive properly and then installed Xubuntu (currently 12.04) and the result runs very nicely. Mine has the long life battery which makes it sort of wedge shaped and a bit heavier but I get 8 hours so so.

When the rust stops spinning, it will be a 2nd hand lenovo xNumber laptop probably. I really liked this form factor. I suppose they can't make enough profit, but it does mean that the students a hauling the huge heavy 15.4 inch domestic laptops around (the £299 jobbies with bendy keyboards)

9. h3

I don't see why I cannot get a Netbook with 1280x800 (If it must be widescreen) matte

2GB ram the half decent new dual core atom (The one with out of order execution).

(I want something to replace my ageing IBM Thinkpad X31 Pentium-m 1.7ghz / 2GB ram / Matte / 1024x768 / trackpoint)

I run Linux on it with Xig X on its Radeon mobility 7500 and it works really great. It is really portable and seems to be indestructible. (Everytime I think it is finally dead (I have taken the p*ss completely with it over its lifetime) five mins later the green battery light comes on and it is back fine . (I sometimes don't use it for a few months at a time).

Maybe I will just get a slightly newer similar Thinkpad but I dunno when they stopped being made properly. (The model I have I can imagine with care taken of it would last even longer than mine has). By any normal laws of physics it shouldn't still be working.

I don't want Windows Starter either I want Linux on an SSD (Or some way of getting back the Windows tax).

Might even use Netbsd instead of Linux I like how clean it is. (If I can get working 3d support)..

10. h3

Ultrabooks - Panasonic Tough Ultrabook be the only one worth getting.

I think the only company capable of making a robust enough Ultrabook will be Panasonic and it will be very expensive.

I would take a well built ultraportable over a flimsy ultrabook always. (If it was for personal use and I was paying anyway.)

If it was a work machine I would probably take the best Thinkpad Ultrabook to see what the fuss was about. (I have never worked anywhere that let me have a Panasonic Toughbook laptop)

11. Robert E A Harvey
    FAIL

letterbox screens?

The only reason I have for even thinking about replacing ny dell netbook is the irritatingly low 600 vertical pixels. If I blow getting on for 900 quid on an ultrabook I will get... 768? What is the point?

12. RonWheeler

Tosh made netbooks?

Tosh made netbooks?

I see the appeal of ultrabooks but they're too expensive. Intel are trying to make a Mac-like prestige brand and largely failing. Passably thin regular laptops are half the price. Idiot posers now go for tablets.

When my MSI Wind finally dies I'll be getting another netbook device with keyboard and matt screen. The transformer type Android devices might have a shout but currently all seem to go for useless glossy screens and Android needs to impress as a stable 'desktop' OS (doubtful).

13. BrendHart
    Holmes

Now they just need to cut Ultrabook prices by 66%

I love the 12.1 inch (1366*768) screen, dual core Atom and 2gig of RAM and Ion graphics chipset. It was nice and cheap too. I really wish more manufacturers had gone this route and evolved the concept. Cheap netbook++ is the way to go.

1. 4.1.3_U1

Re: Now they just need to cut Ultrabook prices by 66%

Just waiting for my wife's new HP Pavilion DM1 to arrive - 11.6", 1366x768 screen, a bit bigger than a netbook but no more expensive.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like