back to article Dell to cut UK workforce

Dell has threatened staff in the UK with redundancy, Channel Register can reveal. The cost-cutting measure was revealed yesterday by bosses at one-time direct-selling purist Dell, who sought to play down the size of the headcount reduction. "Dell has shared with the teams that with regret we need to make some very limited …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

my first

XPS was built in Ireland, now they come from China.

Companies that outsource or move production to other countries that result in job losses should be penalised by a tax on their products or services.

1. Wanda Lust

Re: my first

If those companies were directly taxed they'd just take off altogether. Less direct disincentives would be more appropriate like the public sector positively discriminating companies products based on contribution to UK plc.

Let's face it, who sets corp tax policy? It's a compromise between big biz & the gov.

2. trafalgar
    Headmaster

If you want low taxes you want the public sector paying as little as possible for IT. How many horror stories are there of public sector over paying for things?

Building PCs and laptops is low-end work, rather UK Plc should be focused on high-end skilled work and the tax payer should be more demanding of kids and teachers and schools. After inputting £50k+ on each kid in the UK's education system, I expect all kids to have top grades. Kids need to leave primary school with 3 things, minimum. 1 being fully literate, 2 fully numerate, 3 ability to self-learn. If they don't have these by age 12, they will most likely be reliant on the tax payer for the rest of their lives.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Everyone is different

"Kids need to leave primary school with 3 things, minimum. 1 being fully literate, 2 fully numerate, 3 ability to self-learn. If they don't have these by age 12, they will most likely be reliant on the tax payer for the rest of their lives."

My gardener, the guy who services my car and the person who sells me goods at the checkout in Waitrose may not agree about 1) and 2). The last government wanted 80% of the population to go to University - there is a flaw in this logic - not everyone has the inclination to be numerate or literate.

1. trafalgar
        Holmes

Re: Everyone is different

Yes, that's why they should leave school at 14 and start working.

Anyway I mean literate and numerate enough not to end up on benefits and able to support themselves.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like