back to article Britain has 10 million twits, tweets Twitter

There are ten million active Twitter accounts in Blighty, the microblogging wunderkind announced on, er, Twitter this morning. And 80 per cent of UK twits access the site on their mobiles. The UK is believed to be the world's fourth most active nation of tweeters, after the US, Brazil and Japan, going on a 2011 analysis by …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ten Million

10 Million twits in England... I believe it, nothing against the UK.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

10,000 000

People who think their insignificant lives are of interest to the rest of us.

1. ItsNotMe
        Thumb Up

Re: 10,000 000

+1

To go along with the 900,000,000 numb-nuts using Farcebook. Probably many of the same on both.

1. VinceH
          Joke

Re: 10,000 000

" +1 "

So that's ten million and one, then. :p

2. Ian Ferguson

Also remember:

Facebook - one account per person

Google+ - one account per person

Twitter - Often multiple accounts per person.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Also remember:

So long as it keeps them off the web, fine by me. It's as if someone coralled all the twots who want to yammer away about XFactorprentice-Enders-Not-Talent-Marry-Avoid and locked them in a big battery henhouse. More please, and let a blissful zen calm descend on the rest of us.

2. Jim in Hayward
      Childcatcher

Wrong!

Facebook commonly has 5 or more accounts per user. Regards of their efforts to make it 1 account per person.

3. Wize

Re: Also remember:

Different twitter accounts for different things, like companies, campaigns, fanclubs, spoof sites, etc.

Facebook, you can run them all from one account.

3. Paul Shirley

how many are opt-in commercial use?

My twitter account is strictly receive only, mostly gaming release and sales alerts. Wonder if mine counts as active? If twitter over SMS weren't free on my mobile I'd probably not bother though.

1. ACx

Re: how many are opt-in commercial use?

Isn't twitter pretty much an opt in infomercial channel, which we customise to our interests?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You really need your bollocks-detectors on full when dealing with Twitter, some really great feeds like some of the the comedians, writers and bands I like but most of it is just mindless crap. The hard bit is finding time to sift the chaff from the wheat.

5. Ian McNee
    Holmes

Twats...

...that is all.

6. Gary F
    Unhappy

1/6th of the UK are twits

Yes, I'll believe that. Imagine if they focused their abundant spare time into doing something constructive, maybe something to help the economy or charities.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: 1/6th of the UK are twits

And I'll respond to you as I do to everybody who expresses that same sentiment:

OK, so why are YOU wasting YOUR time here, rather than "help[ing] the economy or charities"?

7. Graham Marsden
    Meh

So...

... what?

8. thesykes

How many of those accounts are actually active, and how many are like mine, opened in order to subscribe to a feed to try and win a prize, never to be used again?

After signing up I was of the same opinion of Twitter as I was before... what's the point of it?

1. measmyself
      FAIL

Trying reading the article again.

1. thesykes

yep, read it again...

you do mean the bit where they say active accounts, right?

Well, according to Twitter, my account will be active, as I haven't closed it down. I don't use it though, so, by my definition, it isn't active.

9. Senior Ugli
    Pint

the good thing with twitter is you can filter out the bullshit. Well compared to facebook anyway.

Trending topics are almost 100% by idiotic american kids, with stuff about bieber or them retards 1 direction. But I dont have to look at any of that unless I click on it.

Theres actually a really good tech and web scene on twitter where you can follow and get news directly from the people who matter.

Its a shame its mainly know for letting people who have nothing in there lives pathetically drop 140 characters to there favourite nobody, but theres not much thats going to change that.

1. Evil Auditor Silver badge

Filter out bullshit on Facebook

easy: don't use it.

10. Martin H Watson

I don’t use Twitter

I don’t use Twitter as I find it impossible to summarise my complex sophisticated thoughts into meaningful sentences of less than 140 charac

1. Wize

Re: I don’t use Twitter

There are plug in apps for twitter, that let you go past the 140 limit. If you don't have the same plug in, all you (cont) http://tl.gd/crap

11. nijam Silver badge

So, this is the zombie apocalypse we've been looking forward to?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like