back to article Cheques not checking out just yet

Electronic payments surging, but cheques not about to bounce Electronic payments are replacing the humble cheque, but not so fast that the descendants of the promisory note are irrelevant or should be hustled towards a hastened retirement. That’s the conclusion of the Australian Payments Clearing Association’s (APCA’s) new …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Arfur Smiff

Loosed for words

for me, unless I want to drive 10KM's to get an internet connection.

Rural are that will never ever get broadband. The end.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Couldn't decide which wording to use for the subhead, eh?

The first sentence of that article looks like it was actually meant to be a strapline. Typo? (Well, or 'edito' I suppose would be more precise.)

3. Andy Livingstone

Processing Costs

In this country there is a far greater likelihood that Royal Mail charges will bring about the death of cheques faster than anything else.

4. Harry

Its OK to accept cheques, but ...

Why are there still businesses belonging firmly the 19th century that insist on cheque as the *only* possible method of remote payment?

Cheques are absolutely the most user-hostile payment method and should only be used by those over 75 that cannot get their head round other methods. And they should certainly not be involuntarily forced on people that are perfectly capable of using more convenient payment methods.

If you can accept cheques, then you can accept bank transfer and standing orders -- and can probably do it faster and cheaper than cheques.

Its high time that it became a legal requirement for businesses of all sizes to be able to accept bank transfer.

This topic is closed for new posts.