back to article Keep out of the Olympics' way, earn a haircut from TfL app

In the race to get London's road and tube network ready for the Olympics, Transport for London has endorsed a new app called re:route: a map app with reward vouchers. The idea is that Re:Route (on iTunes here) plans your journeys in the capital and then rewards you for taking low-carbon, calorie-burning and overburdened-public …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mad Jack
    WTF?

Re:Route sucks?

Quote: "Re:Route sucks"

OK fine, I won't download it

1. Lee Dowling Silver badge

Re: Re:Route sucks?

An out-of-context quote but certainly not a misleading one.

An app with "route" in the title, for planning routes, that can't plan routes. And the bit it does show is pointless. And that's assuming it works when you take that route. And, I assume, the coupon-led bit requires you to "check in" along the route to show you've taken that route at a slow speed (otherwise they're just giving away coupons), so it not working is pretty critical to the function of the app.

A coupon-giving route-planning app to avoid carbon release that may not give coupons, can't plan routes and actually advises worse ways of travelling.

The Government IT slogan should be: "You couldn't make it up."

2. JulianB

Re: Re:Route sucks?

I read it that way too: "Re:Route sucks in [terms of] travel recommendations..."

2. Code Monkey
    Thumb Down

"it's just not a route-planning app" - just another load of tat with the word "Olympics" on it, then.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm sure most people who come to the UK for the Olympics will spend the term of their visit stuck just outside Redhill due to cable theft

4. Greg J Preece
    FAIL

Erm, forgive my squirrelly ignorance, but surely a route is more than just the beginning and end points? Aren't those what you start with, and the route is the bit inbetween?

I just love how TfL's primary response to the Olympics screwing over the capital seems to be "just walk." They wrap it up in the usual help-us-out/save-the-planet/this-is-doing-you-a-favour bullshit, but at the end of the day all this massive ad campaign says to me is: "we really fucked up with transport for this massive event half of you don't want, so we're asking all the people that paid for our network to not use it."

5. Wize

So...

...this app doesn't check your location. It just gives you routes, that you may or may not use, and vouchers.

What's stopping people just getting the vouchers who didn't even go anywhere?

6. Chika
    Alert

I'm so glad!

Yes, I am really glad that I don't need to go anywhere near London for these weeks. I don't need any patronising platitudes in exchange for my not using London roads, and I'd be pretty offended if I did. I have little interest in these games and, if recent history is anything to go by, we will regret our offer to host them in so many ways.

7. eJ2095

lol time for me fake gps app

easy way to get coupons!

8. Mike Hartley 1

Bike routing apps are available

http://routes.bikehub.co.uk/ has bike routing apps for Android and Apple which are pretty good.

9. Christoph

Haircut vouchers?

Just how many haircuts do they expect one person to need? Or do they expect you to spend all day in a spa?

If they offered something that might possibly classify as useful it might be worth looking at it.

But presumably the people who developed it think haircuts and spa days really are what Londoners are all desperate for. At least the Londoners who think it's a good idea to take a bike onto a tube.

1. Sir Cosmo Bonsor

Re: Haircut vouchers?

> "The rewards include coupons for haircuts and spa days"

10. fixit_f
    FAIL

Seriously, you utter utter twats

If all these Olympic tourists are going to be paying TFL top whack for daily travel cards (£8.40 a day if used during peak hours) they'll be raking it in for a network they haven't significantly upgraded for the event. A zone 1 + 2 travelcard is £1168 a year and if they're seriously asking people to work from home/cycle everywhere for 3 weeks then that represents then taking about £67 from the pockets of anyone who buys an annual tube ticket.

I think that if you can show reasonable proof that you've been working from home for the duration, they should be offering to refund that amount. A haircut voucher ain't gonna cut it :-)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Seriously, you utter utter twats

As an IT contractor in London, whenever I cycle to work I get to:

i) claim 20p / mile

ii) burn 700-800 calories each way

iii) prevent £3.10 (each way) from making its way to TfL's grubby mitts (to match the grubby commute)

iv) have a smug feeling that lasts hours, once the memories of the near-death experiences fade

1. Wize

Re: Seriously, you utter utter twats

Bit tricky getting a couple of spare servers and a UPS on the back of that one.

11. Emj

Complete bollocks.

[I did have a whole load of sarcastic crap to post, but really it can be summed up with the above]

12. Stevie

Bah!

Has anyone calculated the carbon and methane emissions of an out-of-condition commuter riding a bike for the first time in a decade across Our Great Metropolis?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Bah!

I once read one of the readers' letters in that fine weekday publication, Metro (<cough>Daily Mail proxy</cough>. It was an anti-cyclist rant and they were attempting to compare (unfavourably) the extra carbon dioxide exhaled by a cyclist to that of a car.

The mind boggles at either

i) the quality of science teaching at their school, or

ii) the number of science lessons they would have to miss in order to have formulate such an ill-informed argument.

1. Stevie

Well, it *has* been about 38 years since I was sitting in front of a burette with my manometer readings and a flask of lime water in front of me, but I think I could probably work it out back-of-fag-packet style if I was being entirely serious.

I seem to remember a Biology teacher almost asphyxiating a mouse in a demonstration of how carbon dioxide was a definite product of respiration. Silly bugger forgot to turn on the water that powered the air pump that supplied the conical flask the mouse was trapped in with air and the mouse passed out while she was blabbing on about controls and the need for pure chemicals. Once the situation was pointed out she squeaked and turned the tap on full blast. The lime-water in the detector went milky in about 1/10 of a second as the mouse's chest heaved to draw in volumes of life-giving air now blasting it with hurricane force. A great triumph.

Said mouse survived to further the cause of science again, but it tried to bite anyone attempting to put it in a conical flask from that day forth, which only goes to show a deep understanding of scientific principle is not automatically a product of being exposed to the science itself.

Sometimes, showing science to others just ends with you getting bitten.

2. jonathanb Silver badge

The carbon comes from 100% renewable sources and the methane emited would be no more than normal.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I know that & you know that, but most of Joe Public has no idea just how much energy there is packed into petrol, nor how horribly inefficient cars are.

However, they *are* good at complaining at the cost of petrol.

13. Andy Livingstone

London Olympics

I hear the Americans are searching their Rand McNally maps for the best way to drive to the Games.

1. Stevie

Re: London Olympics

A lie. No American would be caught dead without his or her trusty GPS. Map-reading is now a lost art akin to freehand Cove Plastering and Woodcut pamphleteering.

2. jonathanb Silver badge

Re: London Olympics

Drive up to Alaska. Go across the Berring Strait, in winter anyway, or perhaps a ferry is allowed. Drive across Russia and Central Europe to Calais. Wait 4 hours at the immigration queue for the Channel Tunnel. Go across the channel and spend some more time on the M25 car park [parking lot]. Somehow get into London while avoiding the zil lanes.

14. Jamie Kitson

Just as you don't cycle in the Olympic lanes!

http://road.cc/content/news/37440-cyclists-face-%C2%A3200-fine-riding-olympic-vip-lanes-you-can-use-gutter-instead

15. Rob Moir

1. ReRoute appears to suck

2. To hell with the olympics. The sooner this nonsense is over and done with, the better.

16. Charlie Clark Silver badge
    FAIL

No wonder they have problems with the routing

The Recyclebank website has geolocated me to America! I guess it's only the other side of the atlantic so and easy mistake to make.

17. Robert Ramsay
    Happy

I would like to donate my haircut coupons to Boris Johnson.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So as it currently stands

They have offered a application for Apple users only that will route them out of the way of the main route you would normaly take.

So as far as I see this they will be forcing Apple users to congregate at unpopular stations, dark alleys etc, sure this will work out realy well for muggers etc.

The other aspect is that after they have moved all these people out of hot-spot area's they will then get them to queue up for a haircut with all the other people who thought they were unique and special with there vouchers, causing new hot-spots.

Pisses me off, the only legacy over 99% of London users will get to experience and did they upgrade it, no there idea of capacity planning the public transport is over the years since being awarded the Olympics was to raise the price, reintroduce the old design bus they replaced with a disaster and to ask people who regularly pay for this shit to carry on paying and either please dont use the service your paying for or we will route you the long way.

Seriously just reintroduce Trams into central London, pave over few more roads and the trams will easily cut down on idiot driver as they do in Holland and we will have transport options that only get delayed by accident reports.

Can we replace Bojo with an application, probably be more productive but wasn;t a option on the voting ballot last week alas, maybe next time somebody will get a application standing for Major, we have 4 years to create our monster of choice - is The Register up for the challange?

19. John Munyard

Suck

So that's an Olympic Gold for suck then.

It's nice to know we still dominate the world in certain fields.

20. deadlockvictim

Olympic Spirit

Surely the Olympic spirit would be to shoot up on erythropoetin regularly und undetectably over a period of years and then just run from A to B as directed to you by stewards?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like