back to article Oracle RMAN straps on rocket, hands admins launch button

Oracle Recovery Manager (RMAN) has been integrated with Data Domain Boost by EMC, which claims it ramps up backup performance by up to 50 per cent and cuts LAN bandwidth requirements by up to 99 per cent. Oracle database admins (DBAs) can now use their familiar RMAN tool to directly manage Data Domain backup systems and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"or think bemusedly how incredibly inefficient the previous process was?"

I assume it checksums each block & asks the backup server if the checksum is for a new block & only transfers the data if it is. Not exactly witchcraft. It also won't really help for OLTP incremental backups.

1. Drummer Boy

Re: "or think bemusedly how incredibly inefficient the previous process was?"

If it's anything like the Avamar client (same stable) it will also then do a deduplicate check on the block, and not transfer if a block is a copy of one already residing on the target server.

This is where is saves the bandwidth, not the other bit.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I love using DDs for data dumps but having to pass through NetBackup client to get stuff onto the DD or mount up NFS shares ( the devil's invention! ), this sounds like exactly what we've been after for the last 12 months for dumping RMAN dumps direct to our DD boxes.

No doubt they will screw you over for the licensing somewhere along the line, you don't anything for nothing in this game!

1. LeguanArne
      Go

If you already have Boost licensed on the DDs (for Netbackup), then you are good to go!

Only download the new binaries from my.datadomain.com and get them installed.

No more passing by Netbackup, no more NFS mounts =)

3. unredeemed

All you need is BOOST licensed to get this to work. Of course BOOST can cost a bit on the larger DD boxes. Then you download a plugin on the my.datadomain.com site.

But BOOST is/was already in other pieces of EMC's stack with Networker and integration with Symantec. It can accelerate SQL, Exchange backups directly to DD without touching the media server. Pretty slick.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

but you might need that 99% of the network if you want to _restore_ your database :s

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like