back to article Nikon recalls camera batteries

Nikon has issued a recall for the EN-EL15 Lithium Ion battery, an accessory for its D800, D800E, and D7000 digital-SLR cameras, and the Nikon 1 V1 advanced camera. In a service advisory statement present on Nikon’s US, European and Australian websites, the company says the battery “may contain a sub-standard component” which “ …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Meh

Leap day onwards ...

According to the Nikon support site, applies only to cameras and batteries sold after 29th February 2012. Should be OK with my D7000 and spare battery from August last year then!

1. Jamie Kitson

Re: Leap day onwards ...

Yeah, I got the email despite having registered probably a year ago. I guess I could have recently bought a spare.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Please, *Affected*...

3. iworm
    Thumb Down

Quote....?

You say, with quote marks: “overheats and deforms the camera body”

Where in the 3 advisories to which you link is that quote, and where does it say that the *camera* body is affected? Let's be generous and say that you misunderstood this statement: "The battery pack can experience a short circuit causing it to overheat and possibly causing the outside casing to become deformed..."

It is pretty clear that it refers to the casing of the battery, not the camera. But as I say, you misunderstood, which is fine. But why offer it as a quote...? That's pretty poor reporting.

1. Colin Miller

Re: Quote....?

If the battery deforms whilst it is inside the camera, the battery's swellings could cause the camera's battery slot to deform as well...

1. iworm

Re: Quote....?

Absolutely agree - it's a potentially quite serious issue!! But the fault could cause any number of serious consequences ("could burn the house down")!!!!

My gripe was with the reporter presenting something explicitly as a quote when, as far as I can see, it was entirely made up (as in not a quote at all) Pedantic - maybe. But reporters should report...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The Nikon fanbois are out in force I see. Don't take it so personally.

1. Giles Jones Gold badge

I'm waiting for them to say it's a "feature" that Canon don't have :)

Who can forget the Nikon fanboys going on about not needing full frame sensors like Canon had, then going on about it being the best thing since sliced bread once they did get them.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

WTB native speaker

Effected batteries? They have a load of cheesy reverb?

6. Nigel 11
    Mushroom

An improvement?

The icon suggests what used to happen when Lithium batteries overheated. Are they more stable these days?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Boffin

Re: An improvement?

Depends on the chemestry and construction. LiPol batteries will go bang if you look at them strange. Likewise Lithium-Cobalt, which has mostly been abandoned for that very reason.

I have some 40Ah LiFePO4 cells which I use on a bicycle mobile/portable amateur radio station and they've had the occasional bit of abuse, including one time I had my solar charger cranked up a bit high and momentarily cooked them on 14.8V instead of the recommended maximum of 14.6V (4 cells at 3.65V/cell) ... Oops.

If they were LiCo, they'd have probably gone kaboom, but these cells of mine seemed to take this in their stride. That said, if you really did abuse them, they'd probably let you know about it, I don't intend to put this to the test however. :-)

By the sounds of things, someone didn't do careful checking of the circuit design back at Nikon, and they've just picked up the error. They don't want an exploding battery fiasco like Dell did a few years back.

7. Fred Flintstone Gold badge
    Stop

Wow, how juvenile..

It didn't take more than 5 comments for the word fanboys (whatever spelling) to appear. Is it really necessary to label any opinion or statement that way instead of rationally engaging in discussion?

8. Robert E A Harvey

rationally engaging in discussion?

Ah. Right. OK then.

Is that /every/ day?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like