back to article Internet's first 'Hall of Fame' REVEALED

The Internet Society has announced its inaugural Internet Hall of Fame featuring web stars who've helped literally make the internet. Publication of the list, which will become an annual event, has seen the likes of TCP/IP daddy Vint Cerf inducted alongside Van Jacobson who helped make TCP/IP scale and prevent the web’s …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Jeebus

Great list, can't help but feel they're inducting too many for just a single year though. Going to run out of genuine entries sharpish if they keep on that road.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It's okay they'll just populate later years with those self publicists from silicon roundabout.

2. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

EH?

Why is Tim Berners Lee (along the likes of Linus) in pioneers instead of innovators?

1. ravenviz Silver badge
      Headmaster

Re: EH?

I would say that a Pioneer is an innovator by default, later innovators would further develop that which had already been pioneered. Probably.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Why is he there at all? Seeing the shambolic way the WWW turned out I would have expected scientists to devise a more logical and structured organisation. And especially one that wasn't dependent on rapacious advertising organisations to get anything done.

"But it's all FREEEE!"

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Without HTML you wouldn't even be able to post your wrong headed comment

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I guess ...

...you are young enough to believe that computers didn't communicate before the WWW.

2. MacroRodent
        Boffin

The power of Shambolic

> Seeing the shambolic way the WWW turned out I would have expected scientists to devise a more logical and structured organisation.

The very lack of rigid structure made WWW a success. Done "right," it would either never have left the labs, or we would have several small proprietary networks, costing $$$ to use. In the 1980's hypertext was a hot topic, the next big thing, but it was always envisioned to be controlled centrally with links traced properly both ways, and of course with proper access control and accounting so that the vendors and authors would get paid. Sir Tim dispensed with all that, creating something that could grow organically in a decentralized fashion. The result was a jungle, but an interesting and fertile one.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

What, no mention of

Bill Gates?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What, no mention of

> What, no mention of Bill Gates?

He lost out to Al Gore in the swimsuit round.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Happy

Re: What, no mention of

He swept up in the knobbly knees competition by brute forcing it though ;)

4. Simple Si
    Coat

Does the list include...

...Goatse and the stars of Two Girls, One Cup?

1. phear46

Re: Does the list include...

... Internet famous for all the wrong reasons...

Its kinda sad that it would be easyer to count those that hadn't seen these two than to count those that had.

Says a lot about our sick curiosity as humans.

5. Dazed & Confused
    Trollface

I have ridden the mighty moon worm!

Thank goodness Al's finally been recognised for creating the internet.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I have ridden the mighty moon worm!

+1 Internets to you sir for the Futurama reference.

6. james 68

giggling like a schoolgirl on nitrous

lol Al Gore?? lolololol

series of tubes! rofl

7. George 8
    FAIL

hmmmm

Where would we have been without the browser?

Where is Marc Andreessen surely the daddy! Or James H. Clarke or even Eric J. Bina?

8. Charles E

Internet's First "Hall Of Shame" REVEALED

This is NOT the collection of web stars who've helped literally make the internet. Such a venerable institution has existed since the early 1990s, and apparently has now vanished from the web. It is worthy of preservation, but the only copy I could find is on the Internet Wayback Machine. So I submit to you, the "Kook Of The Month" gallery:

http://web.archive.org/web/20060719233552/http://www.lart.com/auk/whiners.html

Internet nut cases like Archimedes Plutonium, Doctress Neutopia, Terri Tickle, and RIchard Bullis did more to shape the modern Internet than Vint Cerf, Tim Berners-Lee, or Linus Torvalds ever did.

1. W.O.Frobozz
      Meh

Re: Internet's First "Hall Of Shame" REVEALED

Let me be the first to say "USENET != Internet" (I haven't done that in years!). But you are correct nonetheless. There's an entire universe on USENET that should be recognized. Heh, Doctress Neutopia...now that's a name I haven't heard in a long, long time. And let's not forget poor professor Alexander Abian (RIP) on his futile quest to prove that "TIME HAS MASS!!!1!!"

But truly...the bastards Cantor & Siegel should get the nod for starting the torrential plague we know as "spam." And the so-called "Knights of Freedom," the pro-spam idiots that followed C&S, are the spiritual fathers of the botnet creators.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

RMS?

Sorry, but without RMS, Linus wouldn't be on that list.

Like him or not, he IS a pioneer.

10. Gio Ciampa
    FAIL

Linus - "As creator of the Linux operating system"

Er... shouldn't that be the kernel?

11. Pirate Dave Silver badge
    Pirate

hmmm

The biggest omission I see is Richard Stevens. How many of us owe our knowledge of how TCP/IP works to him and his books? I would think he did at least as much for the Internet as did the hunter of the Manbearpig.

12. Tom 38
    Pirate

There is one man whose idea is now responsible for over 50% of the traffic on the internet, but his name is unappealing to the kind of industry types who sponsor and run these sorts of events.

Wonder when Bram Cohen will get inducted - I'm guessing never.

13. nigel 15
    WTF?

Tub Girl

Tub Girl and Goatse Man are surely worthy of an entry on any list of this type.

14. po
    Paris Hilton

What about...

Paris Hilton and Ron Jeremy? I mean, throw the people who made the web economically viable a bone...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Pint

Re: What about...

Throwing a bone to either is unnecessary, shurely?

15. Sir Runcible Spoon

Sir

I reckon Bruce Schneier isn't on there because most organisations (uk.gov included) have apparently ignored his advice for many years :)

16. W.O.Frobozz
    Pint

No Kibo?

If James "Kibo" Perry isn't on the list, then the list is a farce. Sheesh, "The Internet Society"...don't become another "Rock and Roll Hall of Fame."

1. Faceless Man

Re: No Kibo?

I can only assume the ISOC is still angry at him over the whole HappyNet thing.

17. Lush At The Bar
    Joke

Knighted by Queen Elizabeth?

I was unaware the Internet was around as early as 1559?

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Robert Metcalfe for Ethernet

Most of us wouldn't have got onto the Internet without Ethernet.

http://inventors.about.com/library/weekly/aa111598.htm

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

Re: Robert Metcalfe for Ethernet

I feel strangely obliged to fill in names of each level of the stack, but since some commentard will point out that my understanding of layer 5 is shakier, I respectfully submit instead:

Radia Perlman for making Ethernet work in real networks.

W. Richard Stevens, the Yoda to 90% of us here

Messrs. Joy, McKusick and the others for a reliable TCP/IP stack on a real OS. (Remember when cdrom.com was the biggest site on the internet...on someone's crappy old P133?)

19. Wile E. Veteran
    Thumb Down

Obviously put together by PR people

Otherwise, thew would not have included Al Gore and would have included Dennis Richie and Richard Stallman.

Like him or hate him, the majority of what people think of as "Linux" is really from the GNU project which Stallman started.

Arguably, the early internet was mostly Unix systems (not look-alikes such as Linux) and there would be no Unix (hence no Linux) without dmr.

20. Wombling_Free
    Paris Hilton

Boring list - mostly men, mostly academia.

What about Jennifer Ringley?

Who? You may ask... remember JenniCAM? 1996? She really was a pioneer for what is now commonplace on the Internet, whether you think such a thing is 'dirty' or not.

How about Gene Ray, aka Otis E. Ray aka TIMECUBE.COM - peddling woo-woo-crackpot-hokum since 1997, and to this day hasn't worked out his blather is not only hilarious but unreadable. Quote" Belly-Button Is Signature" - I can't make it 30pt text though.

How about Paris Hilton? As a major topic on the Internet, surely she deserves... exposure!

21. Yag
    Unhappy

Blah...

Suckerberg will probably be added to the list next year...

1. deadlockvictim

Re: Blah...

And with good reason: for tens of millions of poor unfortunates, he has created what they understand the Internet to be.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like