back to article Tunbridge Wells' car park bonking offered new NFC logo

The NFC Forum is hoping a more laid-back approach to licensing will encourage use of its N-Mark logo, but those deploying NFC are still playing fast and loose with branding. Since admitting it had failed to protect the term "NFC" and the long form "Near Field Communications", which are both now generic terms, the NFC Forum has …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Bob Vistakin
    FAIL

Apple users must be more confused than Prince Harry on Fathers Day

Up until their phones have it, the message to their users is "you don't need that". Once its been added, usually a year or two after Android like widgets, voice recognition and pull down notifications, its suddenly a terrific "innovation" Apple invented all on its own. Just watch they hype around NFC when they finally get it, compared to now. Meanwhile, iPhone users must stand in line in these car parks fumbling around for change whilst Android users waltz past because, after all, its all about the user experience.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Apple users must be more confused than Prince Harry on Fathers Day

Nice trolling, the story doesn't even mention apple at all and you managed to slag them off. I can only imagine it getting it out your system offers a kind of relief.

2. Wheaty73
      FAIL

Funny, there's no NFC in my Android phone. Nor in most peoples, I imagine. There is in my CC though which is great - don't need it in my phone as well!

3. chr0m4t1c

OK, firstly why would anyone "need" NFC in their phone at the moment? Most handsets don't have it and neither do most places. The only NFC terminal I know of in my local area only works with Barclaycard at the moment - hardly a must have piece of technology.

Secondly, I don't remember anyone ever claiming that Apple invented voice recognition, widgets or pull-down notifications.

I *do*, however, remember having voice recognition on a Nokia phone over 10 years ago (it was complete rubbish, but it was there) and I remember having widgets on a WM5 phone thanks to a mobile shell something like five or six years ago.

I also remember Orange Wildfire, which was a rather good voice recognition system that you could use with any phone as you got access to it through calling voicemail. That started in 1999 and was killed by Orange in 2005 - before Android development even started.

If you're going to crow about innovation in Android you better check if they *are* Android innovations first or you're no better than any fanboi.

2. Version 1.0 Silver badge
    Joke

News to me

I thought NFC stood for No F*cking Chance ... but maybe I'm old school.

On the other hand - I *love* Standards ... we need more of them... and them maybe one of them will catch on ... yes, I have an NFC phone ... but of course, it's NFC that it works anywhere!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like