back to article Arizona bill makes it illegal to 'annoy or offend' online

The Arizona legislature has passed a bill that makes it illegal to annoy anyone over the internet. You think we're joking? The Reg – solid and stolid defender of all that is right and true – does not joke about matters of such import. Check it out: It is unlawful for any person, with intent to terrify, intimidate, threaten, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. R 11

Re: What about...

What about the 1st amendment? That would probably be the bit of the bill that excludes constitutionally protect rights.

Here's part of the Bill:

(b) Does not include constitutionally protected activity or other activity authorized by law, the other person, the other person's authorized representative or if the other person is a minor, the minor's parent or guardian.

In other words, the bill itself appears to exclude 1st amendment rights from being covered. But hey, why let that get in the way of a good scare story?

1. nexsphil

Makes perfect sense. Say any of a large list of things and we'll lock you up. Free speech notwithstanding, of course. The US is turning into a very unpleasant little turd.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"The US is turning into a very unpleasant little turd." Turing into? I was under the impression that it has been for some time. Anon so I'm not locked up for insulting the one person who still believes in America.

1. Michael 34

I suspect at least a billion people "believe in America". Maybe several billion but I may be exaggerating its influence.

2. JEDIDIAH
        Linux

So the law is null and void then?

The 1st Amendment is about all manner of things. This includes things that are likely to offend or be considred obscene even if it isn't the intent of the speaker to be a troll.

Surely you understood the Mel Brooks reference in the summary. Or perhaps that was wishful thinking.

3. Shannon Jacobs
        Big Brother

You don't understand how these neo-GOP politicians think. Well, mostly NOT think.

If you can't legislate morality, then you have to adjudicate it.

Isn't Arizona the state where the chief justice of the state supreme court is facing a complaint for choking a female justice during an argument about a political ruling? Whoops, I see it was Wisconsin. Can't even keep my nutbags straight, eh?

4. Silverburn
        Joke

@ R 11

I was deeply offended by your unpatriotic comments. Since you dared to question the constitution, the only logical conclusion I can come to is that you are a terrorist.

See you in court!

5. Scott Wheeler
        Stop

> What about the 1st amendment?

Remember that: a) current US courts hold that while the protections of the US constitution do not apply to non-citizens, or outside its borders, their laws do apply outside the borders (e.g. a ban on on-line gambling for US citizens resulted in people running such operations external to the borders being prosecuted); b) the US has shown itself willing to use the current assymmetric extradition treaties to haul people within its borders for prosecution.

2. ArmanX
      Mushroom

Remember, this applies to all electronic communication!

Annoyed your spouse called and asked you to buy milk? Lock them up!

Offended at something you saw on TV? Now you have a legal right to sue!

Upset by someone calling you a bad name? Bam! Jail time for them!

No longer do we have to turn people away at the border for threatening to get drunk and dig up celebrities, or blow up airports because of bad weather - we can actually throw them in jail for using the Internet at all!

And now, if you'll excuse me, please stop the world, as I believe I accidentally boarded the ride to insanity.

3. Notas Badoff
      Facepalm

Since published on the Internet, and this bill has offended and annoyed and threatened and intimidated me, and apparently was intended to, it is a self-referential piece of work and the said legislature can surrender themselves pronto (and with a free tatoo inspection)

4. Anonymous Coward
    5. asdf
      FAIL

Fear not the idiot Republicans will get beat down by the courts again and once again my tax money will be used to score political points.

1. Winkypop Silver badge
        Devil

Re: idiot Republicans

Don't forget the GOP is now over run by rabid xstian fundies.

"The bible, the bible, we get our morals from the bible."

I truly hope not, that thing is as immoral as it comes.

6. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Read the ANDs and ORs

"It is unlawful for any person, with intent to terrify, intimidate, threaten, harass, annoy or offend, to use any electronic or digital device and use any obscene, lewd or profane language or suggest any lewd or lascivious act, or threaten to inflict physical harm to the person or property of any person."

It's an anti-stalker and anti-scumbag law, and, golly, maybe Register readers and writers -will- have to think twice about what they say. The offence is to use (1) an electronic or digital device AND (2a) dirty talk OR (2b) a real verbal threat of physical or property injury AND (3) the deliberate intention to "terrify, intimidate, threaten, harass, annoy or offend". Some of which words also may mean something different in a law bill, such as if "annoy" turns out to mean "to cost somebody money without their consent", but I am just guessing.

Misspelling annoys me, but to be an offence you would have to -deliberately- misspell words for that deliberate purpose. And they would have to be dirty or scary words like "bottum" or "nale bomb".

1. Francis Boyle Silver badge

Re: Read the ANDs and ORs

So basically it's a law to ban ODFO.

2. Chad H.

Well

Since the TV is an electronic device, and badly thought out policies and bills annoy me... How about some legal judo and start going after those in favour of the bill?

3. MonkeyBot

Where does Orlowski live?

I hope it's not anywhere in the jurisdiction of this Arizona law or he could be in trouble.

1. Jeebus

Re: Where does Orlowski live?

Orlowski would love for this bill to be applied so he can kill off all his critics.

2. Chad H.

I think in the UK.. So they'll be extraditing him next week. The government wont even pretend to put up a fight.

1. Don Jefe
        Meh

They won't have to extradite him because this entire thread will be deleted as soon as he reads it.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Even more worrying...

if some moron in Arizona is annoyed by an article on El Reg, the whole staff of El Reg can then be extradited to the freedom-loving USA and sentenced to life (or death)

Remember that bit in the Simpsons Movie where Springfield is sealed under a dome? Maybe it's about time to do the same thing for the whole USA (it would solve their problem with illegal immigrants and trrsts trying to sneak in)

1. hendersj

Re: Even more worrying...

Not the whole of the USA - just Arizona would be fine.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Online Gamers?

Ever played Modern Warfare online? The death threats fly. Lock em all up I say.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dear PF Changs - I find your excessive use of flash on your website annoying. Plus the online menu is annoying me as it reminds me of the crap food I had the last time I went to one of your chain restaurants... etc. etc. Well this could be fun.

7. asdf
    FAIL

Arizona snowbirds ruin the politics

Arizona is really a beautiful state and in my day to day dealings I tend to come across a lot less rednecks than other places I have lived. Still because our elections are held in winter when all the old rich people come to enjoy the mild climate our politicians are beyond wack. Our governor is a prescription drug junky transvestite that make W Bush look like a good speaker. My Sheriff would rather investigate Obama's birth certificate than prosecute 400 sex crimes he dropped the ball on. Basically Arizona is a corrupt Republican machine similar to the Dem machines in Chicago or Jersey.

1. asdf
      FAIL

Re: Arizona snowbirds ruin the politics

Examples of former great Arizona politicians. Remember extremism in the defense of one's ideology is no vice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_Goldwater

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evan_Mecham

2. This post has been deleted by its author

8. Scott 1
    Trollface

"Rough-and-ready westerners or dainty shrinking violets?"

As a former Arizonian, I would like to point out that this law was probably the brainchild of some pansy Californian immigrants, likely from San Francisco. You know the type. They usually have a common first name, but omit a redundant consonant -- typically the letter "c" from a "ck" combination.

;-P

P.S. Have I annoyed you enough? I'm glad I don't still live in Arizona, then.

P.P.S. It's a good thing I moved, because I'm sure at least half of what I post online would land me in jail under this new law, and I'm relatively nice compared to most :)

1. LateNightLarry
      Paris Hilton

Re: "Rough-and-ready westerners or dainty shrinking violets?"

Doubt they're from San Francisco... more likely from the Free State of Berkeley...

Paris, cuz I haven't seen her in a while... Hey, El Reg... still need a glass of wine icon.

9. HeyMickey
    Trollface

Misleading article is misleading

Notice the use of the work 'and' in the following sentence:

"It is unlawful for any person, with intent to terrify, intimidate, threaten, harass, annoy or offend, to use any electronic or digital device AND use any obscene, lewd or profane language or suggest any lewd or lascivious act, or threaten to inflict physical harm to the person or property of any person."

i.e You can still intend to annoy and offend so long as you don't resort to profanity or threats of physical violence. Pretty sensible IMHO, and hopefuly will result in a higher intellectual standard of trolling...

1. HeyMickey
      FAIL

Doh!

s/work/word

2. frank ly

Re: Misleading article is misleading

That was a good analysis. But...

"... lewd or lascivious act ..."

This needs to be defined and written down so the people know what they can and can't do. A law that isn't written down is a tyrant's tool.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Levente Szileszky
      WTF?

Well,

you, for one, will not be an example of "higher intellectual standard of trolling" (sic!), that's for sure - since when "so long as you don't resort to profanity" is considered "pretty sensible" per YHO?

Posturing rednecks are posturing rednecks, (simple-minded) logic always gives them away...

5. Michael 34

Exactly right; but a problem exists with your theory in that you presume upon the intellect of the person that you are insulting to comprehend that he or she has indeed been insulted.

10. John A Blackley

So if I read El Reg's position aright

Nobody should try anything to bring to book the vile, vicious, empty-headed, nothing-to-say trolls who spend their miserable lives doing naught but threatening, bullying and cursing those of us with a higher than fourth-grade education?

1. E Haines

Re: So if I read El Reg's position aright

Correct. What you do is ignore them.

2. LateNightLarry
      Coat

Re: So if I read El Reg's position aright

Nobody should try anything to bring to book the vile, vicious, empty-headed, nothing-to-say trolls who spend their miserable lives doing naught but threatening, bullying and cursing those of us with a higher than Kindergarten education?

There, fixed that for ya... Got my coat... it's the one with McGuffy's Reader in the pocker.

11. James O'Brien
    Joke

god damnit

Screw you rik what with your apple loving articles. I am going to hunt you down and smash every bit of crapple gear that you have then I am going to let you dog/cat/fish out and then pee on your lawn....

Did this qualify as threatening? Bring is sheriff Joe.

1. LateNightLarry
      Joke

Re: god damnit

By the time the Department of Justice gets through with Sheriff Joe, you'll have to break him out of solitary in Supermax.

12. PassiveSmoking
    Trollface

Scrotum.

There, I've now broken the law in Arizona.

Or, if you want to be REALLY offensive... GRAHAM NORTON!

13. JeevesMkII
    Childcatcher

Next year...

It'll be legal to shoot someone who annoys you online, leading the rapid extinction of mankind.

1. ChrisM

Re: Next year...

Nah, internet people are still waiting for the functionality to stab someone in the face over the internet....

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"internet people are still waiting for the functionality to stab someone in the face over the internet"

Already done - http://www.newnavy.us/

2. SoaG

Waiting for face-stab functionality?

Clearly you've never faced a competent spy when playing TF2.

2. Keep Refrigerated
      Trollface

I wouldn't be surprised if it could simply be grand-fathered in under existing "stand your ground" law.

14. Paul RND*1000

Taking offense on the Internet

Given that it is very easy to say something on the Internet that will cause offense to someone, somewhere, the only way to not fall foul of this is to not post anything ever.

Since it's obviously unconstitutional, I wouldn't expect it to survive for long.

1. Pete 2 Silver badge

Loophole

One way to beat this law is to post complete rubbish and then plead insanity. If you can mangle the spelling and grammar as well, that adds reasonable doubt over what you actually said, or meant. Some might argue that a large proportion of internet users have been doing this for years.

1. VinceH
        Facepalm

Re: Loophole

" If you can mangle the spelling and grammar as well, that adds reasonable doubt over what you actually said, or meant. Some might argue that a large proportion of internet users have been doing this for years."

And there was me thinking the vast majority of internet users were just thick. The reality is that they're all clever bastards who saw this coming, and it was me being thick all along.

1. bobbles31

Re: Loophole

If you can't see the dummy in the room, it's you.

15. Gwaptiva
    Facepalm

Hey Arizona!

I know this song that will get on yer nerves, get on yer nerves, get on yer nerves, I know this song that'll get on yer nerves....

1. Bill B
      Mushroom

Re: Hey Arizona!

You BASTARD!!!!

It's going to take DAYS for me to get that tune out me head now.

16. Andus McCoatover
    Windows

Fuc*k everyone in the redneck state of Arizona!

Now, can I get extradited First Class? Please?

1. Gannon (J.) Dick
      Pint

Re: Fuc*k everyone in the redneck state of Arizona!

You really have to capitalize "State of Arizona". Forgetting as we must that Arizona obtained "States' Rights" fifty years after the Civil War, and that Congress bought half the place from some dodgy Mexicans who insisted it was Apache-Free, and green in spots.

It's Business Class for you, Bubba.

1. LateNightLarry
        Paris Hilton

Re: Fuc*k everyone in the redneck state of Arizona!

Nah, put him in the hold... the aircraft equivalent of steerage...

But give him Paris for company... or would that be cruel and unusual punishment?

17. This post has been deleted by its author

18. frank ly

What happens to you if ....

.... you use an Android phone in Arizona, to post an Instagram photo?

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Legalizes shooting of Gabrielle Gifford?

So if I'm unhappy about something a Democratic congressperson says, I can shoot them? Or is that covered by the 'stand my ground' law?

Talk about getting away with murder!

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm not the slightest bit surprised by anything America does anymore, however bigoted, ignorant or just plain crazy it is.

America has been the laughing stock of the planet for over a decade and that isn't going to change any time soon.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Sadly, we fought a civil war with 600,000 dead to keep these idiots in the union.

While I think Abraham Lincoln was Our greatest President, it s becoming clear that he was wrong.

1. asdf
        FAIL

two points sped

#1 - a large number of people aren't Republican retards. In fact I have never voted for Party of Evil in my life and never will

#2 - Arizona became a state only 100 years ago. Nearly 45+ years after the civil war ended.

1. asdf

Re: two points sped

that is a large number of fellow Arizonians aren't tea party bible thumping retards.

1. skeptical i
            Devil

This bill was sponsored or co-sponsored by six Republicans and three Democrats ...

so 'twould appear that this specific bill can not be laid entirely at the feet of the usual bunch of cranks. Equal opportunity crazy, ayup.

2. LateNightLarry
        Holmes

Arizona wasn't even a state until February 14, 1912. It was part of New Mexico territory until 1861, when part of the NM territory seceded from New Mexico as the Confederate Territory of Arizona, and was recognized as such by Jefferson Davis February 14, 1862, so Arizona comes by its redneck status legitimately...

1. Gannon (J.) Dick
          Thumb Up

Interesting

Texas redneck status was hard won, although you wouldn't know it from the batshit crazy line of Governors we've had. Sam Houston was thrown out of that office for giving Jefferson Davis the mighty middle finger and it has been "Springtime for Rednecks" ever since.

2. Vector
      Facepalm

Yeah, I know...

"America has been the laughing stock of the planet for over a decade and that isn't going to change any time soon."

I used to think that Italian politics were loopy; now, it's the same and worse right in my own backyard.

Seriously, does no one remember that old chestnut about stick and stones, or am I just showing my age?

1. VinceH

Re: Yeah, I know...

" Seriously, does no one remember that old chestnut about stick and stones, or am I just showing my age?"

Do you mean the one that goes, "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words can cut much deeper," by any chance? :p

21. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

ITS ABOUT TIME

I GET TIRED OF MORONS WHO JUST POST CRAP TO ANNOY PEOPLE

1. Arclight
      Holmes

Re: ITS ABOUT TIME

I post crap, and I am annoyed by your comment that infers I am a moron.

/calls police

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Works for me

Why should the Net be any different than harassing someone in person? People falsely believe they can hide behind a PC monitor and abuse others. Now they will get a reality check.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Works for me

you're the kind of socialist that would prefer nameless power drunk losers monitoring everyone instead of defending your own right to exist. you're like the upper middle class in the US that think that because of their imaginary wealth that the system works for them or the brown shirt at the [insert three letter agency] that thinks he/she is part of some vast beaurocracy of righteousness and helicopters will be deployed in their defense. the reason so many of these laws are passed is because noone gives a %*#@ about your stupid rules and they are too busy working. you keep supporting tyranny and start locking enough people up and you are going to wake the dead. the reality check will come right before the light and that peaceful feeling. anon=bigger fish to fry.

2. Arclight

Re: Works for me

To a point I agree, just because your posting on the internet doesn't give you carte blanche to post whatever vile abuse you like, but........'annoy'? I get annoyed by the bloody flash ads on every other site, I get annoyed by the constant "Please help feed my animal request in *insert name of random facebook app" posts that come up on facebook. Annoy is a very loose term.

23. Christoph
    Headmaster

And books?

"any electronic or digital device" includes word processors, so this law will cover books as well.

Anyone contemplating writing any book that is not utterly bland had better move out of Arizona.

And don't even think of writing a text-book that mentions evolution or climate change.

1. ian 22
      Big Brother

Re: And books?

Stendhal 's "Charterhouse of Parma" is completely annoying. Can I sue him in Arizona?

Danger w^WYanks!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: And books?

You clearly haven't tried Le Rouge et Le Noir ...zzzzzzzz

Anyway if the Mormons can do posthumous conversions, I don't see why Arizona's finest can't start posthumous extraditions. A whole new field for ambitious DAs and struggling airlines.

24. billse10

@passivesmoking

really offensive - graham norton? really? no, really offensive: piers moron.

Maybe this is proof Mr Bumble was right about law resembling a donkey.

And Dick the Butcher had a good plan. (apologies to the out-law team)

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So the Arizona legislature are a bunch of cunts. Who cares?

1. ElReg!comments!Pierre
      Stop

Who cares?

Well, presumably this law applies to anything that is accessible from within Arizona, as is the US party line these days... so your comments might place you on the wrong end of an extradition demand. Or does it only work with federal laws?

2. asdf
      FAIL

amen

Yes they are and luckily our Constitution has rules to prevent muppets from crapping in the communal pool for all. This will never be a law anywhere.

26. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How can I ensure that my forum posts/emails/etc don't go through an Arizonan server - I don't want to go to jail?

1. Arclight

Thats just it

You can't. Post anything, anywhere and someone in Arizona can be offended and before you now it there's a knock on the door and your collar felt.

With a law like this the US will have to hire an entire 747 for the amount extraditions they'll be handling from the UK

27. Mike Moyle

Seems pretty clear to me...

If you threaten or abuse someone IN PERSON in Arizona -- where they have "Stand Your Ground" and essentially-universal "Concealed Carry" laws -- they can legally shoot you. They can't shoot you over the interwebz for doing the same thing, and that is simply unacceptable!

...I begin to think that we can add Southern Californians, Arizonans, Texans, and Floridians to the list of "mad dogs and Englishmen" who spend too much time in the midday sun.

28. Tankboy
    Facepalm

I wonder...

What old Sheriff Joke will do if this travesty actually becomes law? He tends to annoy and offend (and threaten) people on a daily basis.

29. asdf
    Stop

don't blame Arizona

Arizona is a beautiful state that unfortunately is ran by retards. There are lot of rational people in the state but there are just enough that suffer from the mass psychosis of conservatism to ruin everything. Fear not though much as our grandfathers did with fascism wacko conservatism will die with the Baby Boomers.

30. asdf
    FAIL

snow globe

When did I fall asleep? Because it seems Arizona has left the union and became a grand experiment for some ultra right wing conservative think tank. Just when I thought the Party of Anti Intellectualism and the Creationism couldn't embarrass my state any more.

31. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Arizona is controlled by Mormons.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. TeeCee Gold badge
      Headmaster

Oops. You have a spurious "m" in there.

32. pierce
    Big Brother

except....

except the state Senate rewrote the bill after it was passed by the house, which means its NOT on the govenors desk, and instead is back in the House committee, where they are sitting on it because of the stink it raised as written... so these news reports are based on half the story.

me, everyone who professes believe in a magical god annoys the $#@t out of me, can we lock them all up?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: except....

Sounds good too me. Prison or Asylum? Better buy some rubber sheets as they're all fucking bed-wetters!

33. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Obviously El Reg's correspondent didn't actually bother checking the story out before posting it. According to an article in the Phoenix New Times, the bill was never transferred to the governor for signing, contrary to the numerous media reports saying it had been. It was amended before it passed the Senate, meaning it was returned to the House where it's apparently been stopped.

1. asdf
      FAIL

finally they read it I guess

Don't pretend this was some statement bill and wasn't going anywhere though. It probably would have been on the governors desk if not for the stink. Remember this is the legislature that put that bill on her desk that Arizona was going to decide if presidential candidates were true Americans or not.

34. Spanners Silver badge
    Boffin

The bill is negatively recursive

10 The bill says it is illegal to do certain things.

20 The bill does those things itself.

30 It makes itself illegal

40 This cancels it.

50 This makes it legal to do those things again

60 This reinstates the bill

70 goto 10

35. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bullying is a hot topic for Arizona schools, which I am under the impression this bill is an attempt to help with.

But I, like most other commentards that remark on other countries domestic legal issues, could be incorrect.

1. cocknee
    2. asdf
      Thumb Down

don't think so

The vast majority Republican, state legislation wouldn't be passing a bill preventing bullying as in general,bullying is one the Republican party's most effective tactics.

1. LateNightLarry
        Devil

Re: don't think so

And when they're not trying to bully women, children, miniorities, gays, and anyone else who doesn't believe in them, they're lying through their tooth...

36. zen1
    Mushroom

Politicians..

When will it filter through their myopic pinheads that you can't legislate: good sense, common sense, taste, humor or manners. My question is how do they plan to enforce this because at least 3/4's of the internet is offensive to someone. Fucking morons.

37. Stephen Hurd
    Megaphone

Alarm Clocks

Digital devices specifically designed to harass and annoy!

Bullhorn because it is likely covered as well.

38. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dear Jan (and you, too, Sherriff Joe)

Make my day!

Sign it,and I'll be happy to "annoy and offend"!

39. Ron Christian
    FAIL

Old news

The bill was amended in the senate and sent back to the house, where it died. I think it started out as a do-nothing feel-good legislation (it passed unanimously) and then, probably due to the furor, they took another look at what they'd passed and realized they had technically outlawed free speech. And so, being politicians concerned about their re-election possibilities, they decided to let the bill die silently and hope that everyone forgets about it.

1. asdf
      Facepalm

Re: Old news

Might work what with the new the state Attorney General is being investigated by the FBI and all.

40. Steven Roper
    Stop

I notice

some people on here are blaming the "conservative" right for this law. I personally would put this one at the feet of the politically-correct "liberal" left, since they're the ones that preach "tolerance" and "acceptance" while being more intolerant and unaccepting of those whose opinions differ from the official PC worldview, than any historical fascists ever were.

Consider how dangerous (even potentially career-destroying) it has become to publicly say anything that is politically incorrect these days. The irony is that while so many people profess to despise political correctness, large numbers of those same people will blow their fuses in fury and demand resignations the moment somebody says something that is actually un-PC.

Not "annoy or offend"? Only PC proponents - and that's the lefties - would demand legislation banning "offending" people.

1. kain preacher

Re: I notice

AZ liberal ?? This is a state that says you can not ban an employee from bring a gun to work.

2. asdf
      FAIL

Re: I notice

> say anything that is politically incorrect these days.

You mean like when Bush and Cheney were firing economic people for daring to complain about deficits being dangerous or firing scientists for not changing their science reports?

>Not "annoy or offend"? Only PC proponents - and that's the lefties - would demand legislation banning "offending" people.

Did you notice 6 Republicans sponsored this bill? As for banning offending people no the right loves banning offending information instead. Its not lefties that get on school boards and try to ban science that offends their religion.

41. Will F-E

What, no personal abuse?!?

No obscenity or personal abuse? Gee, I hope this doesn't catch on in South Carolina. It'll make it pretty nigh impossible to engage in any meaningful discussion about English football. Or Manchester City at least...

42. Belgarion
    FAIL

"You can't legislate away people's right to be assholes!" - Simon Phoenix

43. cortland

The act could make illegal TV and radio campaigns to scare smokers off the air -- and a lot of political adverts illegal too. Horror movies would be banned from televisions and streaming video, too. Rap... the list gets longer.

44. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

FUCK YOU ARIZIONA !

Fuck you Arizonans (or whatever you muppets call yourself) for electing these cretins.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Stop

Re: FUCK YOU ARIZIONA !

ERRATA: Must be "FUCK YOU FROM BEHIND ARIZONA !"

2. asdf
      Thumb Up

Re: FUCK YOU ARIZIONA !

As mentioned earlier the problem is mostly Mormons and old people. Phoenix imho is one of the best metro areas in the US and for the most part you learn to tune out Republican muppets.

45. toadwarrior

arizona, lol

Arizona is an awful state anyway. It's full of senile pants pooping old people, shit eating rednecks and collar popping douche bags.

This will only help alienate Arizona from the rest of the good world and I welcome it. Insterad of a wall across the mexican border put one around arizona.

1. asdf
      FAIL

Re: arizona, lol

What do you have a two hour layover in Phoenix international and now you are an expert on the state? Its one the naturally most beautiful states in the country. We not only have about the coolest meteor crater on earth but we have this little thing called the Grand Canyon you may have heard of. Yes the cities outside of Phoenix metro area for most part sucks and yes our leaders are right wing retards but their is a reason so many sports stars and rich people live here. Remember how you shoveled snow and scrapped your windows nearly every morning this winter? Yeah I haven't done either in years.

46. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Once again..

The Americans show us ALL the way forward..

18 months and we will have this crock 'o shite legislated in the UK...

Please, China, build another massive fucking wall....Right across the Atlantic...

1. Arclight

Re: Once again..

Don't need to. With the current extradition system, their laws are our laws anyway.

47. Arclight

Can open, worms everywhere.

"to use any electronic or digital device and use any obscene, lewd or profane language or suggest any lewd or lascivious act,"

So thats any number of stand up comedians (lewd profane language) who release dvd's,nhorny text message, anyone using a swinger site, or in some cases dating site. The Sun newspaper website. Personally I'm annoyed by Simon Cowell.

My Nan used to be offended by the word "sod" or "bloody". If they're going to word it as loosely as 'annoy' you may as well shut the internet down now.

48. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
    Joke

Ted Nugent? Rush Limbaugh?

This bill (now amended and dying or dead) could have been used to sue Ted Nugent, who openly threatened the President and Hilary Clinton (and assorted others) with a gun in one of his rants. Rush Limbaugh (in the way he described a certain student who testified before congress) could be seen as insulting and harassing using obscene language (i.e. business as usual). He too could be sued. Did the Republicans involved realize this? If so, they might be commended for trying to deal with extremist views from people who claim to be on their side. If not, they might have made the amendments and killed it because they collectively went "oops."

As others have said, you cannot legislate for good manners. Besides, notions of what is acceptable change. We can now say "swut", "jujuflop" and turlingdrome" and know we are healthy, well-adjusted and completely un*****-up personalities. So long as we do not say "Belgium"

49. itzman
    Angel

I wonder....

...who will be the first to take a class action against - say = All Gore, on the basis that AGW has been threatening intimidating and scaring the pants off people on the internet for years ;-)

50. Crisp

How do I report someone that's offended me to the Arizona authorities?

I take it that this law covers the *whole* internet?

51. Miek

This article has annoyed me, when can I get Arizona arrested?

52. Hayden Clark Silver badge
    FAIL

Does the insultee have to be an actual human?

Or does this also apply to the "Natural Person"s that are large corporations? That will neatly dispose of all of the review pages and the (big company)sucks.com sites!

53. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

Good Morning Arizona

Looks like a lot of commentards are going to be on the pointy end of an extradition order.

54. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

FFS

You do not have the right to not be offended. End of.

55. Dave Bell

This one is tricky.

It is a change to an existing body of law, extending limits on telephone calls to all electronic communication. So at least the lawyers and the courts know what has been classed as "annoying". It may very well not match how we use the word.

One possible example: telephone sales. If the some telephone sales calls have been classified as annoying, under the earlier law, we might have an anti-spam law here.

I don't think this is as crazy as it sounds.

1. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

Re: This one is tricky.

The US already has an anti-spam law, the catchily backronymed 'CAN-SPAM' act IIRC.

56. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Some fools headed to jail

This will piss off some online bullys.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like