This topic was created by PikeyDawg .

1. PikeyDawg
    Pint

New version of XBMC released!

Woohoo - best MC EVAR!!!!ELEVEN

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: New version of XBMC released!

Not to be provocative, but what's so good about this?

1. Tim Parker

Well it is a jolly good media centre, at a rather spiffing price - although i'll warrant it'd be hard-pressed to live up to Mr.Dawg's review.

1. PikeyDawg
          Happy

Re: Tim - "although i'll warrant it'd be hard-pressed to live up to Mr.Dawg's review"

Fair enough - I was being a bit of a fanboi there :)

Re: DrewC

In fairness, it might not be the easiest (Plex maybe?) MC around, and doesn't have a PVR built in (yet) like WMC, but it is the most extensible (people have integrated it with everything from Netflix to Game Emulators), most content-compatible (it plays pretty much everything you can throw at it out of the box), and cross-platform compatible (supported on Linux, Windows, OSX, and iOS - and has a free remote control app for Android) MC around.

With enough effort - nothing is free after all - you can get an experience that almost rivals the Kaleidescape systems - which used to sell for more than $30k. Not bad for free + hardware - and just to put it in context, I have it running on one single core Atom + Ion nettop that I bought for $180 - pushing 1080p.

Specific to the new release (Eden - v11.0) they've added real - not experimental - support for iOS (Apple TVs and iPads in particular), GPU hardware acceleration under Linux for AMD (this used to be limited to Nvidia), and MySQL for the configuration back-end (allowing you to stop a movie in one room and pick up where you left off in another)... among MANY other changes and improvements.

Looks like there will also be a version for the Raspberry Pi at some point in the future - they've already demonstrated it running 1080p video.

1. Spudbynight
            Happy

Funnily I found it easier to work with than Plex.

I was using Plex on Windows and I kept running into issues.

I think Mac people find Plex more straightforward (more mature on that platform?)

2. jorgesalarcon

Thanks for sharing the news on the release here at http://www.theregister.co.uk

3. stonecatch

That's great news, I've been using XBMC and have no problems with it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon