back to article TopWrite

There’s no end of messaging apps available for the iPhone and iPad, not to mention the built-in email and SMS/IM apps included in iOS itself. But that over-abundance of apps can actually be something of a problem: you can often find yourself fiddling with multiple apps and services when all you want to do is fire off a quick …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ian Ferguson

Is it compatible with Apple's iMessage system? The benefit of the current standard Messages app is that if the recipient also has an iOS device, it's sent over the data network, not as an SMS.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Perhaps.

Can you please explain why this is a good thing?

Even on the cheapest packages from vectone mobile and giffgaff, a huge number of SMS text messages are included in a bundle. If you're on pay-as-you-go, it's unlikely you'll have free data without having free SMS in the first instance.

Data also uses more battery power than a single SMS message. I generally find those who promote iMessage for sending text alone do not have a rational approach to the whole idea!

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: Perhaps.

Because iMessage works across national borders and (maybe) to people with non-3G iPads and iPod touch.

2. ChrisB 2

Fairly simple -

Cross-border for no recipient charge (if data and roaming switched off the message doesn't go anyway)

Delivered/Read status

Some packages include 500 texts not unlimited

3. Anonymous Coward
        Stop

Ah, I have an iPad. It' s not a phone so I have a data-only SIM. It really is rational.

2. jmsilk

Hi there - as Topwrite is just a front end to your Messages, Mail, Twitter and Facebook apps it'll use iMessage whenever your iPhone would. Thanks!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like