back to article El Reg Forums FAQ

First of all Read the house rules. Forums FAQ Badges In November 2012, The Register introduced gold, silver and bronze badges for commenters, along with forum privileges for each badge. The qualifying thresholds for badges are: Bronze More than one year members and more than 100 posts in the last 12 months. Silver …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Rufus McDufus

Up/down voting

The thing that irritates me is getting taken to a new page when up/downvoting a post, not just having the vote recorded immediately.

1. Uncle Slacky Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Re: Up/down voting

Also - and I'm not sure if this is down to my browser (though it seems to be browser-independent) or if it affects anyone else - the need to log in almost every day even though I've ticked the box to remember me on the site.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Bug? Log-in tick box not remembering

We get intermittent complaints about this.

I will ask team to check this out at suitable breakpoint in their work schedule.

Commentards, anyone else with this issue? If so: browser /OS?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Bug? Log-in tick box not remembering

It has never worked for me, on my work machine (xp, firefox), my machine(s) (arch/firefox, win 7 / firefox) or my phone (android / dolphin).

2. Haku

I get asked for the password all the time on several XP machines running FF, doesn't really bother me as I've set FF to remember that password.

Also it doesn't help that you need to separately login to each sub-site of El Reg, the channel & hardware sites spring to mind.

3. Armando 123

It doesn't work when I'm in privacy mode, regardless the browser. HTH.

4. ed2020

I too experience this problem with WinXP/IE8 and Opera Mini and Safari on my iPad/iPhone (iOS 5.0.1).

1. Darryl

Me too... Win 7 Firefox 11 &/or IE8/9 (8 at work, 9 at home), also Android 2.3.6 browser, although it seems to happen less often on my phone.

5. TeeCee Gold badge

Not being remembered isn't a big deal for me.

Being asked for the password during a session in which I am already logged in is a genuine WTF? moment.

Obvious one here is when trawling back through own posts, hit "next" or "previous" and get prompted to login. That one comes across as particularly daft, as that action and the very page it's on wouldn't be available were I not logged in...?!!? There seems to be no rhyme or reason to this.

Tend to read at work, so that'll be XP / IE8.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Up/down voting

Understood - but did you read our roadmap in the FAQ?

2. Velv
    Trollface

Wot, no iPad app?

(joking troll)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

iPad app

You may troll - but I think you are on to something.

1. 4.1.3_U1

Re: iPad app

Please no fscking app!

2. TeeCee Gold badge

Re: iPad app

s/on to/smoking/

Er, surely a vanilla HTML5 version of the site with the "app" side limited to icon + URL link shortcut, served in the preferred flavour of the various platforms is the way to go here?

1) You only have to do it once for everything.

2) No need to update the "app" every time you want to do something new.

3) Those who have something[1] which you don't ship a shortcut for can just roll their own without losing any functionality.

[1] And with this audience there's probably a good few of those somethings too.

3. Rob Carriere

Threading

If you're considering multi-level threading, one concern is usually that the increasing indentation causes layout problems. One possible solution would be what the programming editor Kate does with its folding bar: Have a this-is-a-response bar run on the left hand side of the posts, like in the old setup, but change the color of the bar as the nesting level increases and decreases. This can easily give you ten or so levels of nesting (i.e. ten colors) without needing more horizontal space than the width of the bar. My experience with this system in Kate is very positive. (Although that's obviously not a forum.)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Threading

Nice idea, Rob.

4. Bob Vistakin
    Holmes

Metro friendly?

Can you get it to detect Metro and complete the words it cuts off half way through? Shouldn't be a problem - devs are very used to coding lovely little workarounds for ie for the last 15 years.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Metro friendly?

One would hope the default experience would be OK if we did nothing ...

We are working on a Windows Phone app - and we will get our testing heads on for Win 8 launch.

5. Parax

Have we missed anything?

Quick edit feature?

Being able to correct a typo would be nice..

(maybe time limit editing to 5 minutes to prevent message changing.)

1. Aaron Em

Re: Have we missed anything?

Downvoted for asking someone else to spend effort, money, and time to save you from the consequences of your excessive haste.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Re: Have we missed anything?

That is very unkind, sir.

1. Parax

Oh Drew, apparently the "Send corrections" link at the foot of every story was a waste of effort money and time, an expert has spoken.

How about a user block feature, so we can eliminate comments from arrogant cocks.

2. Aaron Em

Unkindness in response to selfishness doesn't seem too far out of line to me, especially not around here. (And is it any wonder that someone who's been a contract sysadmin for eight years is kind of a bastard?)

1. Parax

It's funny how you think it's selfish.. After all, it's not for me that I would correct a typo, it is for you, and the other readers.

I am happy to admit I am not infallible, but I am not arrogant enough to think I am.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not strictly the forum itself.

But it could be easier to get to on the mobile site than it currently is.

7. mhoulden
    Boffin

Looks like the comment count at the bottom of articles could still do with fixing as well.

Just to test if linking works for me, I think this XKCD covers most discussions here.

1. Aaron Em

I suspect that

the comment count on article pages doesn't update in real time because article pages are cached as static copies and regenerated every so often -- guessing, of course, as I'm just a redneck hairball hacker with air-cooled teeth and have no association with the Reg other than being a persistent pain in the comment moderators' collective backside, but that kind of caching is very commonly done with pages that are expensive to generate and which don't change very often.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: I suspect that

Correct guess. Updated every hour. We should update more frequently.

8. ratfox
    Headmaster

Written in Perl? You masochists!

That aside, there is a slight inconsistency between pages "Posts by ratfox" and ""My Posts".

In the first one, each post comes with a link of type "Posted in Blizzard ponders World of Warcraft for iPad", which leads straight to this post in that forum.

In the second one, each post comes with a link of type "In forum Blizzard ponders World of Warcraft for iPad", which only leads to the top of the forum, which is less useful – you have to search for your own post. It is possible to click instead on the permalink Posted Tuesday 20th March 2012 15:37 GMT, and then click again on the link to this post in that forum, but it is a slight annoyance. And it is inconsistent.

1. Aaron Em

Written in Perl? You little dancers!

No accounting for taste, I suppose -- you're probably into Ruby or something. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

I've noticed the same inconsistency with regard to linking back to the forum from the 'My Posts' page. Doesn't fret me particularly -- if I'm spending time on the Reg at all, I'm skiving, so what's another fifteen seconds or so? -- but it seems a fair enough cop.

1. Swarthy
        Go

Re: Written in Perl? You little dancers!

if you click on the curvy arrow on your post, it will take you to your post, no searching needed.

I found it because I missed the "read this post in context" link after the last face-lift.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Read Post in Context or Curvy Arrow?

Only some of my posts seem to have curvy arrows, and they seem to be the ones that were replies to posts rather than posts.

I am still missing the important functionality of of reading those posts in context.

I might have missed something?

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: Read Post in Context or Curvy Arrow?

Curvy arrows were for replies. To say they have not been a success is an understatement. We will restore the grey bars we used to have for replies - be two or three weeks though. Trivial change but don't want to distract tech for current tasks.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

but... but...

See post in context --- when it isn't a reply?

2. TeeCee Gold badge
              Happy

Re: Read Post in Context or Curvy Arrow?

"We will restore the grey bars we used to have for replies - be two or three weeks though."

I'm putting the champagne on ice......

9. Aaron Em

Oh, hey, there's a thing

If I'm replying to a folded comment, the 'Reply to post' page probably doesn't need to start the comment out folded by default -- after all, I've just shown I'm interested in that comment, haven't I?

10. Dave 126 Silver badge

White text for 'Spoilers'

i.e one must highlight a piece of text in order to read it.

e.g:

"And as every body knows, Luke's father was <span style="color: #fff">the butler. He did it in the library with his lead pipe. </span> "

This was not my idea, a fellow c'tard had posted it in a previous discussion.

11. Lee Dowling Silver badge

Personally, I have serious concerns.

You're going to reinvent the wheel to produce a modern-day forum with HTML, maybe messaging, etc. It's just seems like the first step on the path to disaster to me. The simplicity of the forums are what save you from the spam - nobody is going to bother to try plain-text links because they won't help the google ranking and can be modded to oblivion quite easily. But now opening up features that others have "just because"? It seems like that's the time that you'll have to reinvent the defences that all forum software have been building themselves for the last ten years, but doing it on your own, via your own code. I don't want yet-another site where I have to be careful what I click if I'm one of the first commenters (and the 100-post limit will be worked around, I'm sure - we'll see lots of "Yeah, me too" posts now, for those fake users that spammers want to hold in reserve for where their current one gets caught spamming).

It just seems like an invite to a hacking / overloading the site when something goes wrong with that code - no matter how well you think you wrote it, or how much you tested it before. I'd have preferred things to just stay as they were with BUGFIXES, like the "not logged in" issue (where hardware.theregister.co.uk doesn't think I have a cookie but www.theregister.co.uk does but other sub-sites don't, etc. and I spend my life chasing logins and cookie timeout to post), like it being far too tricky to get to the list of your posts, or to see a post in context (play "guess which un-descriptive link to the article does the job and how many sub-levels you'll have to go through to get there), or even just simple stuff like actually using some decent, modern HTML to make the vote buttons work in-place.

Am I the only on who's now going to hold their breath before entering the comments section for at least the new few weeks to see when the spam (even just "helpful" spam to reader's own blog articles or whatever) starts? I give it a few weeks until the first kind of Javascript injection trick or whatever makes it through the filters (or even just bait-and-switch - make the link point to an article you want until it passes moderation, then change to something spammy).

12. Dave 126 Silver badge

My idea

was to have three columns:

[ Relevant to topic, honest question, good joke ] - [Relevance not yet established, groan-making joke, interesting aside] - [ Troll, irrelevant, spam, abuse ]

The commentard would choose which column to put their comment in. A comment may be voted to the right. There would be no penalty for a bit of trolling in the troll column, since it wouldn't be upsetting the more serious column.

However, I would consider this system to be (if I were a pointy haired boss) to be 'blue sky'.

13. BristolBachelor Gold badge
    Thumb Up

Not on roadmap

"•Log-in via third parties - e.g. Facebook, Twitter, Disqus, Linked-in"

And keep it that way too, thanks Drew.

I've already left a few other sites because of their insistance that I sell my entire personal life to be able to post, plus their article comments are now full of stupid comments by people who have no idea at all about the subject they are posting about (normally physics / space tech). I'd be a shame to have to stop reading El Reg.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

HTTPS?

The login form seems not to use HTTPS, so password is sent in the clear?

Could be wrong, or could be some browser plugin is messing with security.

15. gribbler

The one thing that I really dislike about the forums

When I upvote a post (which I don't bother to do very often) I get the message:

Upvote post

We’re glad you liked this post!

Your vote will be recorded in a few moments.

It's the middle sentence that bothers me. As a long-term register reader, I refuse to believe for a second that any of the staff give a monkeys one way or another whether I like some commentards witty remarks. It's got that sheen of false politeness that just makes me squirm and an overly enthusiastic exclamation mark at the end... makes me shudder. Surely more accurate copy would be:

Upvote post

Now you feel like you've contributed, bravo.

Your vote will be recorded in a few moments.

... or something equally cynical?

1. 4.1.3_U1

Re: The one thing that I really dislike about the forums

Just HAD to downvote you there - 'cos I can.

Blimey, of course I don't care.

2. TeeCee Gold badge

Re: The one thing that I really dislike about the forums

On the subject of up/downvotes, how about a "retract" function? Maybe implemented as a "same commentard, up + down =0" thing?

It's way to damned easy to hit one while aiming for something else around here (I think that one of Drew's above just gained a spurious "down", courtesy of my feeble attempt to hit the "reply" button).

16. dssf

Dealing with abusers

"Why HTML and not BBCode?

HTML is the open standard of the web. Deal with it, bitches."

LOL! I love that.

My gripe is there appears to be no way to deal with malicious, drive-by, emotionally-loaded down-voters. It is annoying to be down-voted on one's personal experience story by someone who is in no position to verify or invalidate one's story account.

-- Heavy users of the down-thumb should be shown on a dashboard.

-- Down-thumbing should require justification, to ensure it's not a "gang" of like-minded people ganging up on someone with an unpopular opinion

-- A heavily down-thumbed opinion or comment should be given a "rescue" chance by an automated highlighting of the account to solicit counter-balancing. Once it descends into rancor, the virulent of the comments and authors could or should be highlighted, then locked or locked out for a few days with a count-down timer on the locked-out person and the thread.

-- Abusers of the down-thumb should have their abusive history shown on their profile panel so that when people visit a profile they see not only the usual list of comments, but the person's behavior toward other users.

I've made similar suggestions to at least one other forum, but was resoundingly ganged up on and not even the site admins expressed disapproval of the ganging up.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Downvoters send bad vibes

The Guardian I think only allows upvotes. [And of course there is no Facebook "Dislike".] Does that make for a more courteous forum?

Personally I would prefer to remove downvotes than show voting history.

1. TeeCee Gold badge

Re: Downvoters send bad vibes

The Graun are ardent Eurofanbois and I guess that they have just implemented the logical extension to EuroDemocracy:

"You get a vote. We will keep asking the same question until you vote the right way."

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How do you know your post amount anyway ?

When I click on someone else's profile I get to see how much responses he wrote. But if you look at your own "My posts" page you get to see how much you've been up & down voted. I have no idea how much comments I wrote, more than 10 that's for sure :-)

Oh the irony.. One of my firsts posts (quite a few years back) was to complain about the new layout and stating that I probably wouldn't involve myself with all this :-)

Anyway, it would be nice if we were to know - up front - if we could actually perform certain tasks.

1. ratfox

Re: How do you know your post amount anyway ?

Just click on your own name next to any of your post.

This topic is closed for new posts.