back to article Diablo III out on 15 May, pledges Blizzard

Blizzard will release Diablo III on 15 May. Honest. No, really, it will. No more delays this time. The World of Warcraft developer said the game, which was originally due to go on sale at the end of 2011 and then early this year, will be given away for free to WoW subscribers who've coughed up in advance for a year's access. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Alex C
    Meh

Click on enemy until dead

Might be an interesting game but if I *must* play a single player game on-line at all times I'm not desperately interested. That sort of controlling streak doesn't bode well for the rest of the game.

They've picked up some bad habits in the last few years so I think I'll wait and see what others think, and pay a lot of attention to the moaning, before committing money to them.

1. Richard Wharram

Re: Click on enemy until dead

Um - did you play Diablo or Diablo II at all?

Who ever played single-player offline? Even if you spend all your time playing on your own you still play on Battle.net for better items and the ability to swap items between chars. Single-player my arse.

1. Audrey S. Thackeray

Never played the second one at all but I never played Diablo on-line.

And I played it a lot.

2. Alex C

I played the second one quite a lot, but didn't go on battle.net generally any more than I could avoid it. I reckoned my PCs could take what they got. I was never into PVP or endlessly killing the same monster just to level.

My internet connection's a lot better these days but I can't be arsed with an always on requirement. I don't care what other people think about the game I play, I'd never get the time to scale the heights of kudos that other types enjoy, so the whole locking me into battle.net to make sure I haven't somehow tweaked my character is irrelevant to me.

I don't mind an occasionally on requirement - i.e. if you want to swap between chars or patches it's up to you to choose when you do that. I don't mind that they have certain characters that require always on to ensure the purity of the character for those looking for bragging rights. But it is an unnecessary restriction for a large cadre of players. I had enough trouble with Fallout 3 or Las Vegas where their servers kept dying and kicking me out.

2. Audrey S. Thackeray

I'll buy it for a tenner

As long as the reviews are good and it can be played off line.

3. Jediben
    WTF?

£45 RRP?

Heh, who are they kidding?

4. Shane8
    Meh

mmm

Looks good game but £45...really ?! i was expecting £20-30 at the very most....not that i care too much as blizzard have me in their grips on WoW for another year!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: mmm

Grumbling over £45 when you've forked out a hundred for WoW for a year?

And if you've been playing WoW since the start, you don't have much change out of a grand for it.

2. geekguy
      Trollface

Re: mmm

I preordered in 2009 from play and got it for 24.99 which is being honoured, feeling a bit smug.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Blizzard used to be good

Before Activision took over. Now it sucks. I am not buying until PvP is on, the game is patched and the reviews are good. A 8.5 and I am not buying.

1. Kevin 6

Re: Blizzard used to be good

agree since activision got them they have really gone downhill.

Wow's content patches have dropped drastically in quality since. Hell the last "big" content patch added so much content it took me under 1 day to do almost all of it...

Also look at starcraft 2 they gave us one set of missions, where SC1 had all 3 races missions. SC2's Stalinistic control on what maps can be used in multiplayer drove me, and my friends away from playing it seeing I don't feel I should have to get blizzards permission on what I want to throw together to play on with my friends. I for one won't be spending any more money on SC2 when they release the "expansions"(aka what should have been in the original damn box).

Also that must be online for single player has royally pissed me off on several occasions like when my DSL router blew out on a thursday, and it took 5 days for its replacement to get here due to the weekend...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Blizzard used to be good

Ok, I'll bite. The original Starcraft had 30 missions in it. Ten with each race if I remember correctly. Starcraft 2 has 29 different missions (with 26 playable on a given walkthrough). Four of the missions involve the Protoss, but the rest are Terran. The 2 games essentially have the same number of missions.

Because the early missions on a given race are really tutorial missions, the missions don't really get good until 4 or 5 missions into a given race. With the Protoss missions in Wings of Liberty, Blizzard were very clever in ramping up the complexity much earlier by doing things like giving you pre-built bases so you can just concentrate on unit control. Overall, I would say about 25 missions on Wings of Liberty are interesting and replayable; compared to about 15-18 missions on the original Starcraft. This means that in all the years I've had Starcraft I've played through the single player missions 2 or 3 times. With Starcraft 2 I've played through the entire mission set at least 10 times, twice on Brutal, and once (on Normal) with no upgrades being used at all.

I, for one, find the fact that blizzard released one race at a time a huge uptick. And I've been looking forward to Heart of the Swarm for an ago. I'll be switching to Diablo 3 on release day though.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If it's not on steam I can't be bothered

7. PaulR79
    Thumb Down

Price...

Boxed retail copy £45, download copy £45... what?

1. ratfox

Re: Price...

Maintaining download servers is as expensive as a box with a bunch of CDs, ie 1-2 £... You are paying for the game, not the packaging.

1. Richard Wharram

Re: Price...

And that chain of distribution; physical shops or delivery drivers. All internets go through them too don't they?

8. Tom Maddox Silver badge
    Trollface

Making of . . .

I can only assume that the "Making Of" video is non-stop footage of a bunch of geeks sitting in front of their computers coding away. That should make for some fun viewing at parties: watch your guests suddenly remember important dental or proctology appointments!

9. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge
    Devil

Blizzard?

Those f#%^ers keep spamming me on a single-use email address that they could not possibly have got through any legitimate means. Let them burn in the lowest levels of hell.

10. Curtis

Yeah, uhhhhh

FYI, I signed up for a 12 month commitment to WoW some time ago and got D3, a shiny mount, and a beta key for 4.0 (Mists of Kung-Fu Panda). When I read that the date was firm, I checked my Battlenet account and can download the D3 client at any time. So it's not "Paid in Advance" it's simply "12 Month Commitment". Check your facts.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"I'll buy it for a tenner"

You'll be disappointed then... well maybe until it's a good few years old.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Mine has been on pre-order with Amazon for about £22 for a while although the price is currently showing at around £30 - the early worm and all that.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"and it can be played off line."

You'll be disappointed then... back to your cave.

14. Avatar of They
    Thumb Down

Delayed since when?

Come on, delayed since 2011? I have had it on order at play since 2008.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like