back to article HP readies public cloud for May launch

After three CEOs and several years, it looks like server juggernaut HP is finally getting ready to launch its public cloud. The company has been tight-lipped about its plans, but Zorawar Biri Singh, senior vice president and general manager of its Cloud Services unit, was in a talkative mood when approached by The New York …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Makes sence for a hardware vendor to do this

Given HP sell the type of hardware you need to setup a entire datacentre and with the current fashion of `cloud`. Then it makes perfect sence on many levels for them to be doing this. Even if they fail, they would of gained inhouse skillsets that can be leveraged setting up other peoples coulds as well as all that hardware they can sell them as well.

As it stands I'm not too sure how they can realy fail in this venture, but knowing HP, if there is a way then they will sure as heck find it or spit out a error code saying 8008 :).

2. Nate Amsden

mixed feelings

PXG makes a good point and I agree though the flip side is how much they may burn their customers in the process(those building clouds based on HP gear). Double edged sword. Sort of reminds me when MS went out and screwed their music partners with the Zune (I think? with the new music formats). Not that the MS music market was a very big one at the time, same goes for the cloud market today, not a lot of players in the space since it is very capital intensive to get the right stuff up and going.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

HP forgetting who their customers are... again

HP sells into the IT managers and directors. They are straight attacking them with this public cloud. It may be inevitable (i.e. create your own or someone will take your HW customers with their public cloud), but it isn't going to be well received by IT.

4. Stephen Channell
    Go

Time to open source .NET to help Azure

Given the very close history between HP and Microsoft, if HP does not offer an Azure flavour to their cloud offering, then Azure starts to look like OS/2 Warp (big investment, technically good, just not what anybody wants). This could be Micrsoft’s Cullinnet moment when it all stars to fall apart..

..but if MS is smart they’ll open source .NET and give Azure a real chance of being the “Cloud Level Runtime” (CLR), and flank Oracle at the same time.

5. Twit
    Flame

Direct competition with customers

Many service providers and cloud service companies will be building their infrastructures on HP products. I wonder how long they will want to buy from a company who is now a direct competitor?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like