back to article Poynt

Reg Hardware Car Week With the price of petrol hitting yet another all-time high, I decided to try and find an app that could save us all some money when we fill up our tanks. Also available on BlackBerry and Android, Poynt started out as an app for locating nearby businesses, such as restaurants and cinemas. But the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mark McNeill
    Stop

So if there's a difference of 10p a litre, and you're buying, say, 50 litres, you're saving a fiver. How far out of your way would you go for a fiver?

Oblig XKCD: http://xkcd.com/951/

1. TrickyRicky
      Go

On a tankful, my car would get the last gallon for free if there was a 10/litre difference. That's good for about 53 miles. It might mean that I'd fill up near work rather than near home...

1. Steve Foster

It's called Planning...

Any time I expect to be driving a significant distance in one go, I tend to look up prices at either end of my route and sometimes along it as well. Then if I find a substantial difference, I can plan to fill up where it's cheapest.

2. Neil Barnes Silver badge

It should not only point out the various prices

But then, with due regard to the amount remaining in your tank and the time/fuel it would take to get there, it should tell you which is the most economical option. I'm sure modern cars export things like fuel level and current consumption, no?

More seriously - in the real world do not most people perform the same journey day in day out, and know which of their local filling stations offers the best deal already? This is the app you need when the yellow light is on and you have no idea where the nearest station is...

2. DuncanL
    Unhappy

For any Droid users taking a look; there are no petrol prices in the current Android version.

3. Steve Foster

App v web site

So how does this compare against petrolprices.com?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

GasBuddy

I use GasBuddy on my Android - but I don't know if that has data for other than the US.

What I find advantageous is using it on a long trip - I can look down the highway a few hundred miles and decide where to fill up, avoiding the "crap - the prices are going up, I should have filled up 100 miles ago".

And I agree: you do that sort of thing *when you are stopped* - not rolling (unless you are a passenger).

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I t'ought it was only in Oirland

Where dey wanted to buy petrol by de poynt.

6. Steve E-G
    Facepalm

Prices Out of Date

Looking on the website where the data comes from for my area (rural Cornwall) most of the prices are out-of-date or not there at all so would be useless for me, suspect it may be better in more urban areas where there are more volunteers willing to update the data.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Also for Nokia phones...

http://store.nokia.com/content/107561

8. GettinSadda
    FAIL

Wow - how useless

Just tried it, the local prices of my nearest stations are:

* 98.9p/L (as of 17-3-2009)

* 138.9p/L (as of 24-5-2011)

* 138.9p/L (as of 9-7-2011)

* Unknown

* Unknown

* 135.9 p/L (as of 16-10-2011)

* 134.9 p/L (as of 23-1-2012)

{{ by this point they are further away than I could be bothered to drive for fuel }}

The most up-to-date price shown is 19th February 2012 - wow, only 18 days out of date!

9. Tim Walker

Also available for Nokia devices

Owners of Symbian-powered Nokia handsets can pick up Poynt from the Nokia Store - I mainly use it on my N8, for finding out what's on at the local cinemas.

Doesn't seem to have the filling-station-finder option yet, and in all honesty, I'm not holding my breath for it to turn up on the Symbian version, but I'm open to be proven wrong...

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Permissions - CAUTION

Your Personal Information:

Add or Modify Calender events and send emails to guests without owners' knowledge, read calender events plus confidential information, read contact data, write contact data.

Er.. No thank you!

Network Communication:

Receive data from the internet, view network status

So it'll open a port to accept incoming popup spam too?

just gets worse.

Your Accounts:

Discover known accounts.

gah....

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like