back to article Dotcom bail survives appeal, extradition hearing in August

Accused Megaupload copyright conspiracy leader Kim Dotcom (formerly Schmitz) has been released on bail following hearings yesterday in which the FBI tried to keep him behind bars. Leg-roped to an electronic monitor, Dotcom will be subject to strict bail conditions, with the court considering him a continuing “flight risk”. The …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Turtle

Flight!

"Leg-roped to an electronic monitor, Dotcom will be subject to strict bail conditions, with the court considering him a continuing “flight risk”.

Well I would have thought that, if the court considered him a flight risk, then bail would not be granted.

(Although to interpret this a bit more literally, then the only way this hambeast is going to achieve "flight" is if he is tethered to a CH-47 Chinook.)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Baffoolment

Why is it that people who commit heinous crimes have name suppression and all details hidden, but this guy has all his details including his expenses published?

Has he even been charged with committing a crime in New Zealand?

1. Spudbynight

Re: Baffoolment

I don't know whether he is guilty or innocent of any crime.

I am shocked though at the lack of due process.

2. Tom 13
      FAIL

Re: Baffoolment

Absolutely. That's why absolutely no one knows about Joran Van der Sloot, Drew Peterson, Gabe Watson, or half a dozen names I've already forgotten.

3. Steve Carr 1
    Childcatcher

NZ judges have spine, even if the government doesn't

Bend over and spread 'em, says Uncle Sam. Will do, says Johnkey.....

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And New Zealand dollars are worth 50% more than this time 5 years ago!

Given that the UK pound isn't worth jack shit anymore...

5. kain preacher

I'm trying to figure out , does the US want him is just the NZ is trying to get rid of him ?

"the NZ government entered a crown appeal on behalf of the US government"

I thought it would have to be an official Representative of the US to make such an appeal. Like some from US embassy .

1. Paul Ryan
      Thumb Down

As far as anyone here can tell...

... the US wants him and the NZ government is doing its best to bend over backwards. As soon as Mr. Dotcom got through this appeal, the prosecutor reveals that the US government is now looking at charging his pregnant wife.

Then there was the 'accidental' release of the information about the firearms in the safe room, without mentioning that they were locked in a gun safe and belonged to someone else... the assaults on people present for the initial arrests... the police refusing to even allow Mrs Dotcom to call an ambulance after being forced to stand outside under guard...

This isn't about justice, it's about making an example of someone who annoyed the big money media in the US and then making his life a living hell while he waits months for an extradition hearing, and frankly I'm ashamed that both the government here and the police are busy going along with it.

1. Bjorg

Re: As far as anyone here can tell...

Living hell? I'll trade places with him. Lounging around a mansion in New Zealand with $30,000 is a called a vacation where I'm from. And a nice one, at that. For the amount of fraud and other illegal activity this guy has comitted in his life time and got away with it scot-free, I'd say he's probably just going to get another slap on the wrist. He's living the good life, on other people's money, and has been all his life, and you're ashamed that the government put him in this situation (you know, the one I call a vacation)? You must be filthy rich and earned your money in a similar manner to possibly be upset about this. I'm ashamed to share the same species as you.

1. Paul Ryan

Re: Re: As far as anyone here can tell...

I wish you were right about how much money I have. I made no comment whatsoever about whether the charges are justified, just about how the course of supposed justice has been perverted to harass him. If there are charges to be answered, then they can give him the same rights as any of us would expect if charged, not make a huge public circus aimed to hurt and humiliate before there's even a trial. There's time enough to do that when and if he's found guilty in a court of law, rather than in a trial by media before he's even extradited.

To be honest I don't think much of Mr. Dotcom, but I find the blatant timing and behaviour of the NZ Government and police in this matter, looking to be basically bought and paid for by gold old Uncle Sam, to be no better than his behaviour if he is indeed guilty of the charges that have been made.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not too difficult to remove electronic device and flee

With what he's facing I would not be surprised if they cut the electronic tether off and he runs. At least they have some of his known accts. frozen.

7. Xenobyte

He needs to run!

Well, in more ways than one, but...

Seriously, the best that could happen would be if he ran and turned up somewhere completely out of reach of the US authorities, from where he could wage a full-on war against the US and the media industry, mocking them and - of course - setting up a new MegaUpload, using the same name and everything. Perhaps - if he has hidden away enough money - he could buy Sealand (like The Pirate Bay considered) or something similar and set up his own nation and work from there?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: He needs to run!

They can run but they can't hide. Sooner or later they will end up in prison or dead from unsuspected causes.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I could get by on $10K per month

I'll suffer like Mr. Dotcom on $10K per month. Just send me the money.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Shame to NZ police ...

... for the conditions of the assault and for the media manipulation

We'll see whether the justice system is anymore independant.

Just at a time when Dotcom was to announce a music distribution model that by-passed big labels... Go figure...

And no, I don't have a high opinion of the guy (nor a low one for that matter), but I have high expectations of what cops and judges should do. Kicking in unlocked doors and obeying foreign powers is not on the list.

10. David from San Diego

Police State

My government is not content to have absolute power over Americans while they are in America. My government wants absolute power over any person anywhere. It is disgraceful that a lawful resident of NEW ZEALAND can have all of his ASSETS seized at the request of the U.S. Government, before he is convicted of any crime in any court.

I guess they figure that, if he had money, he could hire lawyers to represent him in New Zealand and U.S. courts.

In the mean time, the United States has been invaded and occupied by the country of Mexico, and my govermnent is doing NOTHING to defend against the invasion.

This topic is closed for new posts.