back to article Asus teases MWC 'retina display' revelation

It's official: Asus has begun posting its Android 4 Ice Cream Sandwich update for its Eee Pad Transformer tablet. The pad, aka the TF101, will get updated first in Taiwan, Asus said, but pledged to roll out the new Google operating system "in other regions soon". The update takes the TF101's system software to release 9.2.1. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Peter 48
    Stop

why?

All very nice and one-up-man-ey but Personally I find the res on the Transformer Prime 700 series is already more than enough for such a small display (1920x1200). Heck, I don't even find the 1280x800 res on my transformer 101 in anyway lacking, so Why bother adding more at the expense of processing power?

1. Luke McCarthy

Re: why?

At some point you get diminishing returns. Once you can render smooth text without anti-aliasing there's really no need for any increase in DPI. What I'm really looking forward to is desktop monitors with the DPI of current smartphones (probably looking at 4K resolutions here).

2. DrXym

Re: why?

Quite, the obsession with resolution is totally overblown. I'm writing this on a 20" monitor with 1600x1200 resolution. It's more than adequate for the purpose intended. Cramming 2x the resolution into half the area is overkill.

Maybe it will have limited uses but mostly it seems like a justification to keep the tablet price jacked up to justify the hires display and the GPU needed to power it.

2. dogged

sub editing can be fun

"Will Asus - as many fans will hope - be able to get its ultrahigh-res offering out before Apple does with the 2048 x 1536 iPad 3 early next month. More importantly, with doing so prevent Apple suing everyone who goes over 1280x600?"

Fixed that one for you.

1. bhtooefr

Re: sub editing can be fun

Acorn and Microsoft actually both have prior art on the technique that Apple uses to get higher resolution without changing the physical size of screen elements.

Acorn all the way back to the BBC Micro (for most of it) and RISC OS (for the higher resolution assets), Microsoft in Windows Mobile 5 or so (and they even called it the same thing as Apple, HiDPI).

2. Peter 48

Re: sub editing can be fun

I think you mean 1280x800 not 600

1. dogged

Re: Re: sub editing can be fun

does it matter?

3. Martin 47

By the look of my latest firmware update it seems that they have rolled it out to the UK, which is nice :-D

1. Bit Brain
      Thumb Up

Yes, I've been playing with it (ooo-err!) for a couple of hours now. It's definitely an improvement over Honeycomb. The stock browser is much better and scrolls nicely without the annoying tiling that the HC browser does. The typing lag in the browser seems to be gone as well. Overall, it's a great update.

1. David Paul Morgan
        Go

ics arrived overnight

Very pleasant surprise. Tf101 seems much smoother in looks and speed. I think I need to reinstall Swype, but that's about it - had to reinstall G+ too. Subjectively, my Transformer still turns more heads than the Cupertino product. Asus seem to be quietly excelling!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like