back to article Virgin Media boards the 4G train

Virgin Media is planning trials of 4G telephony in several UK cities, dropping fibre-connected LTE Small Cells into urban areas, to see how easily decent coverage could be established. This follows a single-cell trial the company did in Oxford Street in December, but involves more areas and a lot more cells. Virgin Media isn't …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. takuhii

SOOOOOOO.... Virgin Media piggyback Everything Everywhere, but want to put their OWN 4G tech in for Virgin Media/Mobile customers????

That doesn't make a lot of sense to me! If I was "Everything Everywhere" I'd be a little bit pissed off!!

1. Tom Cooke

Business model

Hmm, this is where all those words come in like "frenemy" and "compartnitor" (think I might have made that one up just, actually ;-)

2. Stuart Castle Silver badge

No

That's one of the possibilities the Article suggested. It's also good business sense. While it's not particularly friendly, it's quite an effective tactic to remind your suppliers that you can easily move to a different supplier should the need arise.

The other option is that Virgin Media business (or whatever they call themselves) already provide comms to a lot of cell sites (around 75% was the figure I have seen bandied about). IIRC they also own a fair few mobile sites and rent bandwidth to the operators, so it's in their interest to experiment , as in all likelihood, they will be running a 4G network for someone if this is the case.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like