back to article Samsung warms up smartphone operated oven

And it's over to Samsung for the latest in kitchen kit for lazy-arse cooks: a smartphone-controlled, app-operated oven. The Zipel MC368GAAW5A combi oven sports bactericidal ceramic plates that cook your grub with good old-fashioned heat rather than than vitamin-zapping microwaves - though if you like your food cooked nuclear …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. hexx

angry birds?

2. Dotter
    Devil

Smartphone Oven

I'm waiting for a smartphone that overheats enough to cook food...

1. Homer 1
      Headmaster

Re: Smartphone Oven

I'm waiting for any "smart" kitchen equipment that's smart enough to order the food from the shop, sign for delivery, put everything away in the cupboards, freezer and fridge, unpack the stuff it needs for a meal, prepare the raw ingredients, place it all in suitable cooking containers, put the containers into the oven, cook everything perfectly, put it onto plates, serve it at the table, tell me it's ready, wait for me to finish eating, clear the table, clean up afterwards and switch off the lights.

Oh wait, I already have one of those: it's called the "takeaway".

Really, the bit where you just shove it in the reactor core, push a button and nuke it for three minutes, is the least taxing, so going to the expense of buying an oven that does little more than let you push its buttons remotely with a smartphone, is frankly a bit silly.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Forget the housewife

The 160 recipes will probably be some variation of kimchi.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Not good enough

A Wifi controlled Fridge + Oven would make so much more sense.

Leave food chilling in the morning, have it nicely oven cooked by dinner time.

Why can't someone come up with this.

1. Tom Wood

Ovens for as long as I've been alive

(since the mid 1980s) have featured timer clocks. Set the temperature, the cooking time, and the time you want it done, and your lovely dinner will be awaiting when you get back.

That is, assuming you don't forget to put the food in the oven, as my mother doesn't like you reminding her she did once (or twice, or...).

Not died for the lack of a "chilling" part to this arrangement yet (unless it's a baking hot day or the oven isn't cold when you start, your food is unlikely to go off in the several hours before it gets cooked...)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Ovens for as long as I've been alive

Have you tried baking fish e.g salmon? I guarantee it won't be tasting that great after sitting 8+ hours at room temperature.

Poultry can also be a great environment... There's good reason any food hygiene book will tell you not to leave food unrefrigerated for over 2 hours. Four hours is pushing it, 8 and you're seriously into food poisoning territory.

But good luck with your arrangement. I however will wait for my oven/fridge. Take care serving any not so hardy guests though.

5. FartingHippo
    Stop

"vitamin-zapping microwaves"

NY Times article debunks that bullshit

6. Tapeador

the link

is all written in facking foreign!

7. David Eddleman
    Thumb Up

Brilliant, actually

As someone who does a fair bit of cooking, this would be a great idea. I typically don't need recipes read to me by my phone (usually just turn on Netflix and watch something while I'm cooking). Being able to start/stop the oven from random parts of the house, as I need to, would be good. Of course, one of the key things about going in person to start/stop the oven is looking at what's inside. WIthout a camera...well...

8. Bill Neal
    Pint

Almost there

Now, if only they could make some sort of digiorno-pizza-dispensing magazine... I'll drink to that!

9. deive
    Coat

Like the iPhone on the image...

10. A 31
    Coat

better app

I have a similar app that books a restaurant, which has an oven, staff and food at the ready. much more powerful :D

11. Cupboard
    Mushroom

I think it would be much more useful if someone invented (or told me about) something that stopped pans boiling over.

My oven, released in 1969, can do everything this can. You've got to think ahead and pre-fill it anyway, why not think ahead and set the retro clock while you're at it?

12. annodomini2
    Flame

fire special

How long before this is on the news with a house on fire?

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

what's that awful smell?

Sorry wrong number!

Your oven rang. Dinner is on the ceiling

What the hell's wrong with my food? It's a DDoD

Anonymous has initiated a distributed denial of dinner against your cooker's IP address.

What the hell's wrong with my food?

Ah, shouldda put the date I wanted it cooked in DDMMYY format.

Ah, shoudda put in 120 minutes at 369C, not 360 minutes at 120C

Just add a script to send a voice mail to the indian for a chicken dansak and pilau rice delivered.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Can I root the oven too?

15. Esskay
    Facepalm

I consider myself a lover of tech stuff

But this is at the point where it becomes *less* convenient to use the stuff.

If I'm preparing a meal, I'm already going to be *in the kitchen* - surely it's easier to walk the 1-2 metres over to the oven and press a couple of buttons? Rather than try to find where I left the phone (probably not in the kitchen, but given that there are recipes on the app I'll give them the benefit of the doubt there), then I'll have to wash all the crap off my hands that they're inevitably covered in by this point, navigate through menus to the correct function, and hope that everything works properly (can you tell I'm a Fandroid?). It just seems like a massive kerfuffle.

I'd rather just mash my fingers against the front of the oven, twist some knobs, cover the whole thing in flour and not really give a shit.

1. Craig Graham 1

Re: I consider myself a lover of tech stuff

Surely it has manual control as well- it's adding to a conventional oven, shouldn't be taking away.

I've been wanting something like this for years but not been able to afford money or time to implement. My oven takes a while to pre-heat; it'd be nice when heading home with supermarket pizza to have the oven hot and ready when I arrive. You can't use a timer for this because you don't know in advance when you're getting back or even if you're going to go to the shop to buy a pizza.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like