back to article Mobile chiefs warned: Ditch unlimited tariffs... or else

Analysts have warned Asia Pacific mobile operators that they risk alienating customers and incurring the wrath of regulators if they don’t ditch unlimited data tariffs and focus more on quality of service. The forthcoming Mobile Broadband Industry Survey 2011-12 from analyst house Ovum found that operators are getting the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Customers DEMAND limited service.

I myself am getting 15 GB of mobile, /mobile/, Internet I/O per month, for a bit less than £20. It's outrageous. It's the only broad(ish)-band that I use, even at home. In fact, almost exclusively at home, and even though Virgin keeps offering to take a hell of a lot more money off me for cable, TV, and telephone. Yes, I shouldn't be allowed. I should be stamped out. (Actually, I do think I'm doing rather well, there.)

2. dogged
    Thumb Up

In Singapore, the answer is PAYG

It costs 18 dollars (less than a tenner) for a PAYG SIM, you get S$20 credit, you can buy 5GB for S$7 which is available over seven days. And, and this is important, you buy data with your call credit. Not with extra payments. And you can very easily negotiate/haggle with top-up vendors over the face cost of added credit. It's great.

If you happen to be passing through, I recommend it. Never had a problem.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Matthew 4
    FAIL

"more intelligent pricing designed to encourage off-peak usage."

Really? The whole point of mobile data is that you use it during the day when you're out and about.

If you were to defer mobile data usage until "off peak" times then you would most likely be home, using your wired connection.

5. jungle_jim
    Thumb Up

well

im in Singapore for a year....

i have a sim only one month rolling contract for S$40 i get 12GB of bandwidth with the excessive use fee capped at S$35..... there are some texts and calls in there, but who gives a shit when you have that much bandwidth. (i tether or wireless hotspot to my PC too)

i get through it too. skype video call involving breasts do not get tiresome.

1. PsychoHippy
      Thumb Up

Re: well

Upvoted simply for the breast comment :)

6. Graham Wilson
    Flame

Uh?

Where do these unlimited data tariffs exist? Wish I could find some.

Certainly not in my neck of the woods. Here in Australia, for mobile services, both LIMITED tariffs are outrageously high AND the service is woeful. Especially Telstra.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like