back to article Blushing HTC too coy to admit sales figures

Just days after releasing disappointing Q1 estimates that could point to a difficult year ahead, Taiwanese Android handset make HTC has decided not to reveal future sales figures for its smartphones. Digitimes reported that the ailing firm will keep it buttoned in future quarterly financial statements as of this month. The …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Gimp

If they can be estimated...

why not just release them?

Samsung don't either but Apple do.

I would have thought super secret Apple would be one hiding their sales!

2. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

ailing?

That's a bit extreme...

They may have lost their way of late, pushing those rubbish Windows Phone things, but they will be back, you can be sure of that. Their Android handsets are still very good.

1. dotslash
      Alert

really?

Sense is annoying, to many animations etc get in the way of functionality. Quality control is no where to be seen, and their repair processes and support is atrocious. Good riddance to a sucky firm if you ask me.

1. Anonymous Coward 101

Their after sales support is (apparently) a joke, and not good enough at the price range they are in. I own a two year old legend and have never had trouble with it but would never consider buying another HTC after reading about problems. Basically, your phone stops working, you will get the runaround and little help.

1. MuppetHater

It is safe to remove "apparently" from this post. I have vast experience dealing with those people and I can confirm it is like dealing with a clown factory.

1. Philip Lewis
            Happy

Clown Factory

How colourful! I like it :D

2. Phil 44

HTC Repair Service

I would have to disagree with you here. My wife and I both own HTC Desires. Mine has been flawless but my wife's started overheating and rebooting when it was pushed hard with GPS and Google Maps running. I called HTC, I got an RMA straight away, and they only actually had the phone for one day so we were without her phone for 3 days in total with postage times. I was very impressed and the experience will make me think more than twice about which phone to get come upgrade time (it's in May this year so thinking either HTC "something" or Samsung Galaxy S3).

2. phr0g
        Meh

Sense

I suppose manufacturers own overlays/launchers are a personal taste thing, but Sense is easily the best I have seen. I still have my Desire HD, and really miss Sense (and the superb widgets) since flashing the Virtuous Quattro Ice Cream sandwich rom.

I do prefer ICS though.

2. Shannon Jacobs
      Unhappy

Your mileage may vary--and HTC's has been poor for me

My Android experience is still somewhat limited, but after somewhat more than a year with an HTC phone, I will say that I have mostly been disappointed and I am definitely not planning to consider HTC next time. However, it might be a nationalist thing. I have the impression that HTC is not sincere about the local market (Japan), or maybe it's the other way round. Whatever the reason, it seems that most of the local wireless providers have stopped offering any HTC phones. In two cases, when I was speaking to salesmen from a company that still had (at least at that time) some model of HTC phone, then both recommended against it. I therefore strongly suspect that my track record of unresolved but annoying problems is kind of typical for HTC.

Not surprised to hear they might be trying the losers' strategy of Microsoft. What is it called this month?

3. Rameses Niblick the Third (KKWWMT)

Stand out products

The problem for me as far as HTC are concerned is that none of their new phones are enough of an upgrade for me to want to replace my Desire HD. I love this phone, but since my contract is up soon, I am keeping an eye out for potential upgrades, and nothing HTC have released has really made me want it. Whilst the Sensation range is generally better, not one of them is better enough for me to go through the hassle.

I am hoping that the rumoured HTC Edge will change this, because if the specs floating around the internet are correct, it will be awesome.

1. PaulR79

I'm stuck in the same situation really. I have the DHD and have since it was released in November 2010 but aside from the Sensation XE none of their products really make me go "I WANT THAT PHONE!" in any way. I'm due for a contract renewal in March and while the XE is a nice phone it feels like a 'good enough' upgrade for a new release but not a big release.

When I look at what's out right now the only two that appeal to me are the Galaxy Nexus and the Galaxy Note. HTC cameras are gradually improving but at the same rate as their phones are adding new features, ie slowly but often. It makes a potential user look at how often new phones are released and wonder why they can't slow the release schedule down and push out a few big new phones each year instead of a dozen or so mediocre phones.

4. NoneSuch Silver badge
    Facepalm

If they are being sued, adding a court order to produce those figures would be relatively easy. No real advantage there save more legal fees for the lawyers. They can get air con and sat nav on their new Jags cuz of that.

5. MuppetHater

I am not surprised that HTC are suffering

If anybody else has experience dealing with their customer service people they will NEVER purchase a HTC device again. I was without my phone from December 13th until February 1st. The device was sent to them 4 times and twice it came back still broken and the last time it came back to me it was in much worse condition than when I sent it originally (Kept powering off). They ended up replacing it with a 'reconditioned' model. I have bought HTC devices since the O2 XDA but my Desire HD is my very last device. I will give thme no more of my hard earned cash. Samsung for me from now on.

6. Sartori

HTC

My experience with HTC varies massively to most of the posts here. Either only people who have problems with them can be bothered posting or I and several friends have been very very lucky.

My HTC Desire is coming up to 2 years old, still working great and never had a problem with it. The battery is just as good as new, wish I could say the same for Dell laptops for example. Great for changing ROM's on as well, running ICS very nicely at the moment. Friend of mine had the same as me, no problems and changed over to the Sensation which has been running well too. The only person I know who had an issue, their daughters Wildfire S went faulty, HTC had it fixed and returned in a few days - this was within the last few weeks, I know they had problems late last year reported on Watchdog, seems to be that it has improved or again, he was very lucky.

First phone I have ever owned by them, but I'd consider another one when my contract is up in a few months. As someone else has said though, there doesn't seem to have been a big leap forward with the current models. HTC Edge does look promising, but so does the Xperia S among others.

7. the-it-slayer
    FAIL

Am I surprised?

No. Based on the few mates phones I've played with to try and fix their problems. Biggest issue was the Wildfire. Who tested that phone and allowed the Froyo update?! It's as slow as my Sagem myX-5 I owned several years ago. Bugs galore (particularly the messaging app randomising the order) and just taking a long time to process stuff. I even removed the widgets (see no point in them personally) to try and speed things up. No good there. Can't even root the phone and get a magically Cyanogen build on there that I promised to do.

If the phone orientated apps (phone, messaging) can't run fast around the OS, what's the point? I bet a lot of units have been returned from dodgy phones with awful implementations of the Android software.

HTC seem to neglect their low-range phones and effortise in their high-end range. Personally, I hope they phase out the Android range to a small amount of models and do what they did best - Windows phones!

8. asdf
    FAIL

as an aside

Love my thunderbolt but its pretty obvious why their sales are in the dump. Being late to the ICS party is not the way to get your customer base fired up to spend now.

9. gav_taylor
    Linux

their poor sales are because the developer community boycotted HTC over their bootloader lockdown, most of us bought SGSII's instead and haven't needed to upgrade yet

10. Nick De Plume
    Meh

Problem is..

HTC devices tend to have great build quality, both perceived and real. Sense could do with a bit of lightening up (and some configurability, i.e. ability to disable some unused functions), but it's also good. HTC has the best dialer I've used, for instance.

But lately they seem to be stuck in a rut of too many devices, and too little flagship "wow-worthy" spec'ced devices. It needs a flashy (maxxed RAM, best CPU+GPU combo, SAMOLED plus ultra mega HD screen, hefty battery) device, followed by sensible, good screen and GOOD BATTERY LIFE mainstream devices. After the Desire and Desire HD (and their many variants) HTC kind of just coasted on past success. Hence the slump.

HTC once had the spotlight, then lost it to Samsung, namely to SGS2 (and maybe the Note and the latest Nexus). Which is a device I wished HTC built, specs are brilliant but the shiny plastic body, while sturdy and light feels cheap, the design too generic.

BTW, the developer community never boycotted HTC. But did threaten to do so, so HTC backed down and turned out the unlocker pronto. Don't forget, the infamous xda-developers site was built to hack HTC devices in their many forms.

11. Nick De Plume
    Megaphone

HTC lost its focus

HTC used to make the boldest, most "underdog-desirable" kit. Sure, a lot of them had their niggling faults, but stuff like the original venerable Diamond was Windows Mobile's going away with style.

Nowadays they have a certain design "language", and the build quality is among the best. Their Android Sense thing, like it or hate it, is the most advanced, thought out and coherent overlay out there.

But none of the new stuff is exciting, or "shiny" enough anymore. Consumers are fickle. The "Sensation" is anything but sensational, for instance. Respectable yes, sensational, no. Sure it's good and all that, but the battery (a frequent Achilles' Heel of HTC handsets), the recent lack of real geek-cred-worthiness makes it shadowed by the all-plastic SGS2.

The Beats Audio publicity stunt for instance was, in my opinion, was not too well thought out. Before you "pimp it up", you gotta take care of the battery, the performance, the camera.

I would have expected the Note being developed by HTC. Not Samsung.

Too many misses makes for competitiveness. HTC grew too big too fast, and I hope it hasn't lost it's edge.

I expect them to regroup. Either that, or Asus and Samsung will eat its pie.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like