back to article New Euro IP law promises artists torpedoes to sink pirates

A revised EU anti-piracy laws will provide content creators with "solid legal certainty" when developing new ways for consumers to legitimately access their works, an EU Commissioner working on the legislation has said. Michel Barnier said that plans to revise the EU's Intellectual Property Rights Enforcement Directive (IPRE …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. The BigYin

They will simply promote...

...DRM, walled gardens and other crap.

This will curtail fair use (want to lend a song to a friend? You can't, you evil pirate!)

Thus people will crack the various measures and many will turn to piracy to avoid the restrictions.

Audio tape did not kill music.

Video tape did not kill movies.

The Internet will not kill anything either. Expect old business models churning out prefrab crap.

Stop passing these stupid laws.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"want to lend a song to a friend? You can't, you evil pirate!"

how can you be lending something to a friend if you still continue to have your copy? You might wish to learn the difference between lending and giving away a duplicate.

1. The BigYin

Bingo

And 'whoosh'.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Who mentioned duplicating anything?

He said lend.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Sean Baggaley 1
          FAIL

"Who mentioned duplicating anything?"

So you always delete your own copy of a digital work after copying it onto your friend's USB flash drive, do you?.

Of course you would, you paragon of virtue, you!

Forgive me if I find that rather difficult to believe. Especially after what happened in Tottenham and Croydon last year.

1. The BigYin

@Sean Baggaley 1

Exactly. With a physical book (say) I can just hand it over. Simple.

With a digital copy, "lending" it would be copying. In some cases that is frowned upon and thus it is DRM locked to my device (or whatever). Upshot is I can't lend it any more, nor can I easily transfer it to somewhere else for my own use. (Not an issue with the likes of Project Gutenberg).

So in this regard the digital copy is less useful than the dead-tree edition. Trying to do what anyone would call "reasonable" with the digital copy winds up with one being in trouble.

Then you have to consider libraries etc.

Are you telling me you never made a mix-tape? That's piracy!

We are social creatures, we share. We always have done, we will always try to. The corporates are trying to legislate against something that is fundamental to our nature and to the cultures we construct. It's friggin' lunacy!

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Interesting

So you don't see any distinction between rioting, looting, violence, arson and possible copyright infringement?

Or between criminals and law abiding people who want to make legitimate use of copyrighted work they have bought and paid for, in a reasonable way?

I worry about society, I really do.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

FU EU

The only persons rights being protected here are BIG music businesses rights to continually rip off the customer. Nice move EU to change the law against the consumer by changing the copyright on audio recordings from 50 years to 70 years.

They still don't get it do they ?

You can store thousands of songs on something the size of your fingernail and copy it in minutes, and this is only going to get worse.

It's the end of controlling the medium, your going to have to think of something else that pays you a lot of money for very little work.

1. blackcat Silver badge
      Facepalm

"It's the end of controlling the medium, your going to have to think of something else that pays you a lot of money for very little work."

Like megaupload?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Nah, try fillyourbootsload.ru

To paraphrase Peter Ustinov:

Copyright is the terror of the rich, copying is the terror of the poor.

Just think of the consequences of patent law being death + 70 years.

2. djnapkin

> Like megaupload?

Good point. Hard to see how Kim Megamoneypants deserves all that cash.

2. The People
      Devil

Yes they do get it, but they also receive money for it, you will note that there biggest contributors are TV and media. Its all about money and sex and drugs. that's all politics has ever been about.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Commissioner wants to stop biz making cash off others' slog"

So they're closing the record labels!? Happy days.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Quite ironic really

"Commissioner wants to stop biz making cash off others' slog"

Seeing as our taxes from our hard slog provide his departmental budget...

4. John G Imrie

I wonder if this wil have any impact ...

on advertising agencies ripping of peoples uploads to YouTube

1. The BigYin

Or things like this?

http://www.regretsy.com/2012/01/24/hm-is-awesome/

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I wonder if this wil have any impact ...

did those uploaders pay for the bandwidth and/or hosting? If not, then youtube can put ads with those videos.

or are you referring to something else? ie. ad companies not paying for the clicks?

1. The BigYin
        FAIL

No

He's referring to the thing you normally bang on about, using someone else's ideas without payment. Ad companies have been caught ripping of the style/ideas first seen in home-grown YouTube vids for their advertising campaign.

Tell me, did you take special classes in totally missing the point?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: No

thanks for clarifying and for the link,

and no, I didn't take special classes in totally missing the point, that is why I was asking.

P.S. No, I didn't know that ad companies did that, this is news to me.

1. Field Marshal Von Krakenfart

@AC 12:01 GMT

It's not uncommon for commercial companies to claim ownership of either other peoples material or public domain material and get take-downs issued for it.

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20091028/0306106704.shtml

I think the most bizarre case though, has to be that of Christopher Knight, Viacom took a video that he had made for non-profit purposes and without trying to acquire Knight’s permission, used it in a for-profit broadcast on a program called “Web Junk 2.0” shown on VH1, when Knight made a YouTube clip of what they did with his material, they charged him with copyright infringement and had YouTube pull the clip.

http://theknightshift.blogspot.com/2007/08/viacom-hits-me-with-copyright.html

It seems that the copyright mafiaa are like rabid dogs, once they’ve pissed on something, they own it. Or to put it another way, “don’t do as we do, do as we say”

5. Kevin Johnston

Defended targets

Will these torpedoes also work when the media make use of 'orphan' photos and such where any identifying marks seem to get rubbed of in the download?

Didn't think so.....

6. This post has been deleted by its author

7. Paul Shirley

collective management of rights

Translation: too many creatives have escaped their middlemen and gone direct to customers, how can we yank them back into slavery? How about an offer they literally can't refuse?

Cynical? Been ripped off by too many publishers.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cross border licencing?

Does this suggest that maybe I'll be able to subscribe to Crunchyroll for my anime fix? At the moment, anything worth watching results in an apology for me living in the wrong place... Getting downloads is becoming increasingly difficult, and I don't plan on going the torrent route. I have no objection to subscribing to a legal service, it's just that when looking for English subbed anime in another European country, the service doesn't want me, not the other way around.

[if anybody knows of a service with current series that *is* happy to take my card details and provide the goods, please reply]

9. Keep Refrigerated
    Devil

Re-arranging deckchairs on the Titanic

Just keep the music playing boys, whilst we try to prevent lifeboats from being deployed.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

another anti-piracy law

Bring it on

11. djnapkin
    Pint

Fence sitting

If I were a musician I'd be really cheesed off about having my creation handed around without any benefit back to me.

On the other hand, record labels have done themselves no favours, paying, what percentage of the sale price is it to the musician? 7% from memory?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like