back to article Inspiration Works intros Android tablet for tykes

Here at the Toy Fair 2012, the fact technology dominates kids' entertainment is clear as day. Inspiration Works aims to capitalise on this trend with a tablet specifically targeted towards nippers. The Kurio is an Android 4.0 based slate, spruced up with a kid-friendly UI and behind-the-scenes parental controls. While adults …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. stucs201
    Joke

I had a tablet as a kid too...

...it was called an etch-a-sketch.

1. frank ly
      Coat

How long did the battery last?

On my way....

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I had an Etch-a-Sketch too

Come to think of it, it had rounded corners...

Uh oh

2. technohead95
    Thumb Down

Company promises??

"the company promises an Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sarnie update soon" promises have been broken time and time again with regards to Android OS updates. Anyone buying this shouldn't hold their breath for ICS update. It'll either never happen or will be extremely delayed.

1. thesykes
      Facepalm

You obviously have vast experience of using Android tablets from this manufacturer? No? Or maybe you're referring to other manufacturers?

You may be right of course, and I bet all those 5 year old users would be gutted at not having the lastest Android OS sitting under that heavily customised UI, wouldn't they?

2. Caleb Cox (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Company promises??

Actually, I've just been informed the first tablets will ship with Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich, so no worries.

3. JDX Gold badge

Necessary?

My friend's kid is very good on a regular iPad at age 3... knows how to find videos and play them, etc.

1. lurker

Necessary

Guessing that iPad cost a fair bit more than £150 to £200 though, right?

Strictly, I guess that if your chauffeur drives you to work in a gold-plated Bentley it's probably not "necessary", no. Bot those for those with more constrained resources a toddler-centric and reasonably affordable "real" tablet is actually quite a good option compared to the 'vtech' type things which are very limited and can only run their own, expensive, software.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Lurker

If they had these out before Christmas I would have bitten. Agreed - this is much better than the overpriced Mobi-Go we wound up getting our almost 3 year old. No way in he'll I'd let him loose with a $500 iPad.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

More importantly...

...is the fact that it has child safety in mind, all well and good that a 3yr old can use an iPad. Bet everyone will stop thinking cute when the child has come across some disturbing images on the internet or something similar and is having nightmares for a week.

I know it sounds a bit Daily Fail, "oh, won't someone please think if the children", but when it comes to surfing the web, kids need restrictions and safety, full stop.

As a concept these tablets sound good, but you can bet a lot of parents will think of it as a baby-sitter and forgo interacting with their child just that little more.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Why has a 3 year old been given a iPad to play with?

If your "friend" can't see the dangers, then may be social services should be called?

1. Ragarath
        FAIL

Obviously! not...

A brain cell around today. Why can a 3 year old not use an iPad? (all right, I don't like Apple and my little ones would never get one but that is beside the point)

A 3 year old is quite capable of using it. And if they are being monitored what is the problem? My 2 year old likes to mash his hands on my phone because when he touches it things happen. It does not mean I leave him alone with it. I am there watching him.

Kids have to grow up using interfaces like these everywhere now. The sooner they learn them the better off they are.

I also read to my children every night. I bet you don't have a problem with that do you? Another essential skill, interfacing with a book but looked at differently why? I know I waste more hours in a book than on a touch screen device.

1. Rob

@Ragarath

Unfortunately I know of far too many instances where parents don't monitor/supervise kids usage on the internet from a young age, my comments weren't directed out of any Apple bile. So the "obviously not" is fine for people with common sense but that is in a recession as well nowadays.

P.S. Good on ya for reading books with the little'un, I don't think enough parents do that anymore either, although reading the same book again and again everynight, does drive me up the wall, especially when you have to do 'voices' for the characters as well.

4. robert_raw

I like!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Get while they're young

You can't learn about removing malware too soon

1. Frank Bough

Or...

...you could just give them your cast-off iPhone/iPod Touch. My 4 year old LOVES her 3GS...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Really?!? Skype, Facebook and Shazam on a tablet aimed at kids?

Not really very safe is it? My children are not allowed anywhere near face book. In fact NOBODY's kids would be anywhere near face book.

Dangerous parents deserve to have their kids taken away from them!

1. Darryl

I think the idea (as mentioned at least once in the article) is that YOU CAN BLOCK ACCESS TO WHATEVER YOU DON'T WANT THEM TO ACCESS.

So if you don't want your kid on Facebook, block it.

7. richard 7

Can I have one in black?

Looks like it stands a fighting chance of surviving a day round here used as an expensive e-reader for PDF files and ocasionally used deliberately/acidentally as a projectile.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Does it run Flash? 2Mpix front camera in a toddler tablet seems ideal for sexual predators.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just looks like a normal fondleslab, but with disgusting green plastic instead of the more normal black. I give it 10 minutes.

10. Gene Cash Silver badge
    Unhappy

I feel really old

Seeing the kiddies getting cool toys like this. I would have killed for something like this when I was a wee one.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like