back to article Cryptome releases list of social sites monitored by DHS

Venerable internet repository Cryptome has released a list of social media web sites that the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) monitors to gauge the mood of the online populace. The document lists 96 sites, including social media, blogs and news aggregators, which have been monitored since January 2011. Almost all require …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Pete 8
    Headmaster

sp Cryptome Cryptome Cryptome Cryptome Cryptome Cryptome

Hello, care for a coffee?

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Devil

What, no monitoring of /b/?

Sun Tzu you say? This shall be updated for the American Age:

"If you don't not know your enemies nor your friends nor yourself, if you don't know whether you are spending too much or too little, if you don't know left from right or right from wrong, if your only hope for survival is to invent military problems, if you have no brake to your ambitions, no sanity in your economic reasoning and you are ridden by arrogance and hubris like a sick horse, then you will be forever known as the gigantic faggot."

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Dope

Of course there is monitoring of 4chan. Logs are available, - quite possibly with direct access without the need for prior approval. You must be new there.

3. K. Adams
    Holmes

"[Having staff/stringers] ...was expensive, occasionally dangerous and often highly inaccurate."

It still is. Well, maybe the "expensive" and "highly inaccurate" parts...

Never pay market prices for a good service when you can spend three times as much to do it yourself and get substandard results in the bargain.

4. Pete 8
    Terminator

A closer read of the list

...reveals this article to be poor quality DISINFO.

5. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

No reg?

Our opinions aren't worth anything to the DHS?

Surely the top-secret undercover rocket spy plane should be worth watching?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yay for more...

... of that USEFUL INTELLIGENCE. This stuff should sure look nice next to all that USEINT produced by those 1270 other "homeland security"-related USG TLAgencies (and some 1931 private companies, too)* that, er, also go mostly unread. The S, it's for Shirley.

* http://projects.washingtonpost.com/top-secret-america/articles/a-hidden-world-growing-beyond-control/print/

7. Crazy Operations Guy

Watching Youtube Videos for a living?

I don't think I'd be able to last a month with all the crap on there. If I had to read the comments too, I wouldn't even last to lunch.

You have to remember that for every decent movie, there are thousands of 'Friday's, video game walk-throughs and 'video bloggers' posting vitriol-filled arguments about useless sci-fi trivia.

1. frank ly

Somebody has to do it......

.... because there is an observed correlation between the posting of amusing cat videos and incidences of civil disturbance.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Skewed Demographics

most obvious flaw is that the twater mob, et al represent a niche demographic.

Unless they go out on the ground and talk to people, they will only hear what is being said by those that can aford the tech and time, and feel agiated enough to comment.

That means that they will only hear the (guestimate) 20% that feel strongly for/against something of the (in some UK areas) 40% of the e-enabled population, resulting in 92% ignorance. (please adjust figures as needed for monitored terrorities)

Wonder which beltway bandit scammed up this idea

1. Is it me?

Mind you....

The tweeter generation are generally young, and it's that generation that provides most of the impetus for revolution, as their stake in society isn't as great as older generations who have children, jobs and mortgages.

We oldies like to sit back and push the young forwards whilst taking little risk, be it the youngsters revolting or those putting them down.

"Sire the young are revolting"

"Yes, I know they always have been"

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cryptome a source of intelligence?

Since when has Cryptome been a source of intelligence ???

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Remember

"They" are more afraid of us, than we are of them.....

11. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Big Brother

This is the political obsession with controlling sources of influence.

Truth is, the pols are scared out of their pants by the Internet. Conventional media they are used to, they can bargain with the newspaper barons and TV stations or simply diss them (like the Obamanites do with Fox) if they don't fall into line, and they're are usually only half-a-dozen to deal with at a time. But the Internet is simply too big for them to control - how do you bargain with a billion individuals? Even the kings of astroturf like Axelrod can't make it fall in line, so the best they can do is monitor the noisiest spots and try and track the trends. There is no real national value to monitoring such dross as Facebook, but there is plenty of political value in it, so much so that you could almost argue it's a missappropriation of funds.

1. Aaron Em

If a billion people got together on anything

whether via the Internet or otherwise, it'd be a first.

I love this EFF-style "virtual sovereignty" stuff, though, I do have to say. "How many divisions has the Internet?"

12. Grumpy Fellow
    Pint

Yet another Sun Tzu quote?

Did he really say/write all those stupid things? He must have been a remarkably annoying fellow to have around. If Hollywood ever films a Sun Tzu biography I'm seeing Rowen Atkinson, Adam Sandler, or maybe Larry the Cable Guy in the role.

1. John H Woods Silver badge

Try reading ...

... The Art of War (decent annotated copy in Guthenberg) then you'll know whether he really wrote them or not. More importantly, you'll be better qualified to judge how 'stupid' they are :-)

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

DHS raid in philippines

"..social sites monitored by DHS"

DHS raiding fake skull candy shops in PH must be the product of this monitoring,

after facebook fan page for the headset gets popular to members using fake items.

still couldn't see the connection between DHS and skullcandy..

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/nation/metro-manila/10/13/11/fake-skullcandy-headsets-seized-manila

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like