back to article Apple to stage New York education event next week

Apple has sent out media invitations to a launch event in New York on January 19 that will announce a new initiative aimed at the education sector. Cupertino is being typically mum about the content, saying only that it is an “education event” and will kick off at 10am Eastern time at the city’s Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Hugh McIntyre

Certification ...

If the teacher of the class still gets to say "this is the official textbook we will be following for this class, which you must buy", then it's not clear how that fact that there are also cheaper textbooks on an iPad will help the the situation.

And if a teacher in Texas names an official textbook then the education boardmay still require this be an approved "Certified" book with political interference on content.

Certainly if the cost of textbooks can be reduced that would be good. Although I suspect a plan to restrict second hand sales, directly or via the book becoming an interactive app. I would hope this also does not end up with "your textbook is only available on iPad and not on other tablets or (gasp) paper, so you have to buy an iPad...".

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Textbooks last a lifetime

My 1st edition of http://www.amazon.co.uk/Engineering-Mathematics-K-Stroud/dp/1403942463/ref=pd_sim_b_1

gets used regularly. As does, this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Laplace-Transforms-Programmes-Problems-Stroud/dp/0859500020/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1326356682&sr=1-4

Both of these date from the mid 70's. I can't see any electronic equivalent lasting that long.

Ok, I'm biased as I was taught maths by the author as part of my Engineering Degree from 72-75.

4. Blarkon

Free Textbooks = Poorly Written & Edited Textbooks

There is more than author pay involved in textbooks. Fact checkers need to be as knowledgable as the authors are about the subject. The more complicated the subject, the more that expertise costs both at the authoring and the editing level.

If knowledge wants to be free - why are the educated paid a lot more than minimum wage?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I hate this sort of thing, corporate brainwashing for kids. Kids have enough trouble coping with life as it is let alone this sort of thing going on. What what is I read recently that kids are now starting to recognise supermarket and food brands earlier than cartoon stars? The flip-side of course is that without the corps throwing money about some of these schools would never be able to afford the materials they need.

"So Johnny only has enough to buy to cans of Coke and packet of Doritos for his friends, both using Apple laptops to do their homework with notes scribbled on Pepsi headed notepaper). The cans costing £1 each ( A 50% reduction on standard price while stocks last! ) and the Doritos costing £1.50 a packet ( The grab-bag(tm) with 33% extra! ). How much change will Johnny ( wearing the new GAP hoodie and Nike trainers ) have from a £5 note?"

6. Ascylto
    Big Brother

Dentistry

“We are adding balance,” said Dr. Don McLeroy, the leader of the majority conservative faction on the Texas Board of Education and a dentist by trade ..."

A dentist, huh? So was Bashir (Basher} Assad, President of Syria and Regional Secretary of the Ba'ath Party.

Like McLeroy, he should have stuck to dentistry instead of assassination.

7. GatesFanbois
    Trollface

Sounds like...

Apple are taking lessons from the tobacco industry “Get them while they're young”.

8. mhenriday
    Big Brother

Well, I must agree with the rebalancing act performed by Dr McLeroy et consortes

over at MiniTrue (my apologies - the Texas Board of Education) - calling capitalism «capitalism» isn't at all in line with Newspeak standards ! But somehow I doubt that Apple is quite the firm to take on these troglodytes, given its own dedication to its (patented and product-registered form of) Newspeak....

Big Brother, because somehow he seemed most appropriate here....

Henri

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like