back to article Samsung rakes in record profits as HTC sales dive

Surging smartphone sales have brought in record quarterly profits for Samsung, the world's biggest technology company by sales. The South Korean firm made 5.2 trillion won ($4.5bn) in quarterly operating profits in the last quarter of 2011, according to its preliminary results posted today. It's a 73 per cent rise on the same …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Perhaps if HTC did something to distinguish themselves from the rest again, then perhaps they would regain some of that lost popularity? How about trying to stop companies like Orange loading up their phones with the sort of crapware that only a marketing bod could possibly think anybody would ever want?

2. Janko Hrasko
    Mushroom

The answer its simple

Having had the experience of owning two HTC phones I can tell you that the downfall of this brand its in using far too little RAM and system storage, causing the handset to misbehave less than there months of heavy app usage.

I have also seen a lot of other users with these issues. None of them will buy HTC again. They now use either Samsung or iPhone.

3. pullenuk

agreed...

I agree with the orange and little ram comments both exactly why my HTC desire and my partner HD desire both suffered problems. Mine however been rooted and it runs perfect, sometimes better than my duel core xoom! Its not hard for HTC to force orange not to put their rubbish on it, clearly apple manage it.

The ram is a very silly mistake, HTC can increase this very cheaply and make their phones a huge better than their rivals. Getting round this requires rooting and using the SD card as internal storage, not for the faint hearted.

Maybe HTC should make rooting easy for their customers so customers can upgrade their phones?

4. tom 78

low end

Cheap low end crap devices have ruined the images of the phones, so many people have the attitude now of HTC = crap never buy again.

5. twilkins

HTC really need someone to sort their handset styling out. More than once I've been put off buying an HTC because of the slightly generic styling. Motorola (and obviously Apple) have twigged that by making a handset look stylish out of high quality materials, you help to make it stand out.

6. slaterm61

My HTC Desire is without doubt the best phone i have ever owned. although it's a bit dated now by gadget standards. I'd probably buy a Galaxy S II if in the market for a new phone.

7. mhenriday
    Pint

Kudos to Samsung !

Hope they continue to produce good phones and tablets - and drop the killer robots (on which, no doubt, Apple has already taken out several patents and design registrations)....

Henri

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like