back to article Teen embeds car in Edinburgh basement

We're obliged this morning to reader Paul Moran for sending us a snap of what happens when you try and park a Ford Focus at an inadvisably high speed: Ford Focus embedded into Edinburgh basement According to the Beeb, the car was stolen in Wallyford in East Lothian on Monday, and eventually ended its journey on the corner of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. ALAN CLARK

Sat Nav not to blame

If only the kid had followed the Sat Nav, this wouldn't have happened...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not bad but...

in a talk by our claims dept (we shall remain nameless) we have a lovely shot of a 5 Series BMW on its side fully fitted into a basement void like this. It looked like it was carefully placed in the hole.

This lad gets 5 out of 10 for trying but really needs to aim a bit better next time to get the whole car in.

Remember "Don't say we'll pay...."

3. Tony

Satnav

I'm guessing his satnav was struggling to keep up with him at the time and perhaps gave directions at the wrong moment.....they aren't too clever at high speed with lots of turns in a built up area so I've heard....

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Multi Story?

The things you have to do to find a parking space these days.

5. Colin Jackson

Title

Not so much Sat Nav as Chav Nav.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Shame he didnt get impailed on one of those spikes

I suppose they'll send him on a driving course to make him safer next time he steals a car, then send him on a safari to help build his self esteem and integrate him into mainstream society, poor kid.

7. Des

Property Value Increased

The practical demonstration that you can park a Ford Focus in the basement void instantly added £10,000 GBP to the value of this property!

8. Vernon Lloyd

Aahhhhhh.....

Bless his cotton socks...............!

Lets hope he does not sue the owner of the car for his cuts an brusies. No doubt some 'No win No Fee' laywer is speaking to him now to find a reason why the car should not have been on the road and that the car not the THIEF was to blame.

Oh course he could sue the owner of the house for the outside wall of the property jumping out in front of him odviously causing the crash ;-)

9. Grimpy

Wallyford....

aptly named

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: Title

It's Scotland, they don't talk about Chavs. This would be Sat-Ned.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Are we forgetting the Rise Of The Machines?

You are all a bit hasty in accusing the poor lad of crashing the car... maybe the cars security kicked in and decided to 'pull over' the car... maybe the car was trying to kill him through the usual means... we have seen a few examples already, some quite terrifying!

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Was he the stupid bint's brother?

/quote

"I put my complete trust in the satnav and it led me right into the path of a speeding house. The house wasn't shown on the satnav, there were no signs at all, and it wasn't lit up to warn of an oncoming house."

/unquote

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not like in my day

How difficult can it be to drive into a basement? We used to aim much higher. Youth of today, mumble grumble...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/04/29/flying_bmw_crash/

14. call me scruffy

Kids today...

Clearly this is one of those kids who can't handle the chinease vector problem.

If he could then he'd have known that you can't ramraid a window below street level.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Resell the car

A bargain basement Ford Focus

16. Louis

Hint for thieves...

Focus on the road.

I'll get my coat.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hoax.

This is obviously a hoax!

You can clearly see shadows in the picture.

Shadows implies sunshine ... and yet this is supposed to have occurred in Scotland?

18. George

Female driver

It couldn't have been a 16 year old boy - he must be covering for the woman who was obviously driving!

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Blame it on the cruise control . . .

. . . I plan on using the cruise control answer, next time I'm pulled over at 90+ mph*.

"Office, the cruise control LET me set it at 90, blame the manufacturer."

* here in america, you can set the cruise control that high.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sheila's Wheels.................

http://www.union.ic.ac.uk/medic/fitness/tracks/Sheila's%20Wheels.mp3

21. Register Reader

huh?

Here in the UK, I can set my cruise control that high too. And they do use 'chav' in Edinburgh, though ned is preferred around the rest of Scotland AFAIK. I'd never heard of chavs until about 5 years ago.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Basement...easy. First Floor...harder.

Remember this incident (the BBC story has a picture)

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/04/29/flying_bmw_crash/

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hampshire/4493713.stm

23. John Williams

Chav nav?

Colin,

Chav nav is more accurately described as the small black, wrist-watch like device chavs (or neds) wear aorund their ankles which ensures they are home for 8pm each evening.

Regards,

JPW.

This topic is closed for new posts.