back to article Raving Iranian TV accuses Ofcom of Sky ban

Iranian-backed Press TV is again claiming it's been kicked it off Sky, despite the fact that Ofcom hasn't done any such thing, though the regulator has asked for an editorial office in the UK. Perhaps concluding that attack is the best form of defence, Press TV has launched into Ofcom with cries of censorship and conspiracy …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hahaha

Iranians. Censorship. Priceless.

Don't mention Allah. I mentioned him once but I think I got away with it...

Coward. Natch.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Iranian Idol?

Playmobil erection or it didn't happen!

2. The Nameless Mist

Simplez Solution

As part of their penalty, post-money-fine is to make them put on an English and Arabic statement on screen and verbally every few hours that states exactly what is going on and have someone watch the channel to make sure they don't say "at 3 o'clock we were forced to tell you something by Ofcom".

1. BrownishMonstr

Don't press TV speak Persian, not Arabic...since y'know, Iranians are Arabs.

1. BrownishMonstr
        Facepalm

I meant, aren't Arabs.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

We still have Russia Today

Which reminds me; I must check up on tractor production figures......

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Censorship

Talking of censorship, they are censoring the comments that appear on their website too. Priceless.

5. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Unhappy

Don't laugh too loud. There is still SOPA to think about.

6. All names Taken

In the interests of freedom (Iranians please to note: we ain't daft) can't they do FreeSat? Or even (titter) FreeSat +?

7. JohnG

Bigger fish to fry?

There's been the talk of more severe sanctions, then the attack on the British embassy compounds and the subsequent withdrawals of so many European diplomatic staff. Iran has now suggested that, if there are more sanctions, they might close the Straits of Hormuz, thereby cutting off an international shipping route and, perhaps more importantly, the supply of oil to the USA. If I was living in Iran right now, I wouldn't be that bothered about Press TV's status in the UK.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@The Nameless Mist

Why would they want to display an announcement in Arabic, since their national language is Persian? only a small minority in the south speak Arabic fluently.

Despite that, Press TV complaining of censorship is like Stalin saying that he had a free and independent judicial system.

9. Ted Treen
    Happy

@JohnG

At least they provide a little comic relief.

However, if Ahmadinnerjacket & co. attempt to close the Straits of Hormuz, then apart from a very peeved Uncle Sam, they will find that the rest of the Gulf States will be somewhat miffed as well - to such an extent that they won't hinder the US of A in "re-opening" said straits, and possibly administering a spanking, too.

1. BrownishMonstr

y'know, I don't think Ahmad... even has that many powers, I think the supreme leader does.

10. DrXym

Serves them right

Reading through the Ofcom report, Press TV did an "interview" with some poor bugger from an Iranian jail who was compelled to give scripted answers to scripted questions. And the Press TV went on to use this interview without mentioning the rather pertinent fact he was under extreme duress.

I'm glad to see Ofcom slap them down. Alternate viewpoints doesn't mean broadcast standards are optional. Fox got whacked for it a few years back to. I'm glad to see Press TV get whacked now.

11. Khoos
    Holmes

Has anyone checked with Sky

My guess (as a foreigner with an interest in broadcast systems) would be 'unavailable on sky (sat? cable?) at all' or 'removed from the sky electronic program guide'. Has anyone checked that?

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Isn't £100k a bit steep?

I don't want to defend the lamentable lack of freedom in Iran or even Press TV for that matter -- but am I the only one who thinks that a £100k fine for a 10-second interview on a satellite channel hardly anyone watches is a bit steep?

1. David Dawson

i for one

Think that a fine should cause some material damages to the fined party, otherwise what's the point?

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ahh, Iran...

...the Basil Fawlty of countries.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like