back to article Linux squeezes into connected devices

OpenMoko, the open source Linux platform designed for mobile phones, has found its way into a connected GPS device as well as a consumer-friendly mobile phone, showing what Google's Android could do if OpenMoko wasn't already doing it. Realising that not everyone wants to compile their own kernel before making a call, OpenMoko …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

lol

"Realising that not everyone wants to compile their own kernel before making a call"

so true!

2. Brad

Unless it has Nokia or Motorola stamped on the side...

It won't do any better than linux on the desktop

3. Will Godfrey Silver badge

Maybe, just maybe

Could this at last be a chance to get a phone that is a... phone?

4. David Boosalis

Linux already shipping on millions of phones

Linux powering cell phones is nothing new. In Asia Linux has shipped ten's of millions of phones phones. Here in the US Motorolla has now shipped its first Linux phone, and lets not forget the IPhone is a *nix phone

5. carlos
    Black Helicopters

Motorola E680i

Bought that mobile in Singapore in summer '05, *nix phone too and hacked to death already (see www.motorolafans.com). Touchscreen and a very iPhoney style, in fact Apple and Motorola were together back in the day in order to release a MP3 Phone thing.

Still stands the test of time so I guess it was some €300 well spent.

6. Rich
    Coat

Dual core?

I'm guessing these things are dual core (the GSM low-level smarts are in another chip which isn't open source).

Because although we aren't in Steve Jobs land where a rogue app could crash the entire network, there would be problems if a bugged or malicious device was transmitting when it shouldn't. Which could certainly happen if anyone could recompile the low level GSM code and flash the phone.

7. Andrew Heenan
    Thumb Down

And Your Point Is ... ?

OpenMoko may - or may not - be a Great Step forward. But it says nothing at all about Google's Android initiative - which was never going to produce results this side of summer.

So this weird and slanted article tells us much more about your petty fears and prejudices than it does about technology.

If you want to vent your spleen at Google, be my guest. But try to more honest about it, huh?

This topic is closed for new posts.