back to article Anonymous runs amock in Israel, Finland, Portugal

Anonymous activists marked the 5 November anniversary of the Gunpowder Treason Plot to get up to all sorts of mischief over the weekend. The websites of Israel’s Mossad and Shin Bet intelligence services as well as the Israel Defence Force were reportedly offline for a brief period over the weekend following a 4 November …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Amazing

Some amateurs, with little funding, can take down the web site of one of the most formidable intelligence agencies in the world (Mossad) ? Astounding. However, they should now fear for their lives as Mossad have a track record of revenge.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Honeypot?

> Mossad have a track record of revenge.

and a successful one at that...

2. Arnold Lieberman
      Pirate

Not as scary as Mexican Drug Cartels

Apparently.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

But are they particularly bothered by their public web sites? I suspect that is designed with a lot less resilience that commercial sites as will have much less expected traffic and less impact if it doesn't work.

It's not like the field agents would access everything through their public web sites - or at least I wound;t have thought they would....

Israel is one country I don't think they should try and piss off.

4. veti Silver badge

Oblig: http://xkcd.com/932/

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Anonymous runs amock in Israel, Finland, Portugal

Is that meant to be funny, or do you not know how to spell amok?

amok (also spelled amuk, from the Malay meaning "mad with uncontrollable rage")

3. Ralph B
    Trollface

Facebook still there?

I thought Anonymous were supposed to be taking Facebook down ...

- http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-20090328-71/anonymous-facebooks-going-down-november-5/

I guess they didn't say which November 5th.

("Troll" seems to be the closest we have to a Guy Fawlkes mask.)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Actually, I think the Guy Fawkes mask is meant to represent a Guy Fawkes mask.

I feel like I missed all the fun, getting tanked up and dodging flaming tar barrels in Ottery last Saturday. I lost my phone there somewhere.

1. Ralph B
        WTF?

Odd

I don't get offered the Guy Fawkes mask. (In any browser.) Is this a UK-only thing?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Odd

A browser thing? Not geo-specific.

1. Ralph B
            WTF?

Re: Re: Odd

No, it can't be a browser thing, coz I've tried it in Opera, IE, Chrome and Firefox. I get the same set in each browser: none, thumb_up, thumb_down, stop, go, wtf, fail, happy, meh, unhappy, angel, devil, flame, mushroom, megaphone, trollface, facepalm, holmes, headmaster, paris_hilton, coat, joke, pint, coffee_keyboard, alert, black_helicopters, boffin, pirate, alien, terminator, big_brother, childcatcher, linux, gimp, windows, it_angle.

(Extracted that lot from the page source!)

No Guy Fawkes.

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: Odd

Oh, I get it. You get the Guy Fawkes mask when you post anonymously, eh?

You guys are sooo funny.

Ralph B.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

You can't choose it.

It chooses *you*.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I finally tracked it down

The anonymous mask comes from the V for Vendetta magazine and the 2006 film of the same name.

I trust you are paying your dues to Warner Bros the owners of the rights.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Well done </Slow clap>

5. nithron
    WTF?

Hang on, aren't these the same guys that were scared of reprisals from Mexican drug cartel dudes?

But they're not afraid to tangle with Mossad?

Although, I doubt they really gave a toss about their website being down. Why do they even have a website?

1. Tasogare

I would imagine that no, they're not the same guys.

Anonymous doesn't seem to be anything approaching a monolithic organization. It's a loose collective of chaotic-neutral personalities. You can't expect the actions of the left and right hand to be consistent.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

They have websites for good PR

Same reason that the NSA and GCHQ have websites (and the BSI ...).

6. Mike VandeVelde
    WTF?

"The group temporarily published..."

"temporarily published" - wtf is that?

"Senior figures in the hacktivist collective..." - senior as in members follow their orders?

:P

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The title of this article is still spelled wrong

lettuce

This topic is closed for new posts.