back to article Profiteers cash in on Steve Jobs' signature glasses

In the latest example of the tsunami of adulation that has followed Steve Jobs' untimely death – and the latest reminder that there's a dollar to be made from every tragedy – the eyeglasses worn by the Apple cofounder on the cover of Walter Isaacson's biography are flying off store shelves. As reported by The Wall Street …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Haku
    Trollface

Do they come with a free black turtleneck sweater and a smug attitude?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yes, but they seem to give you cancer.

Also there's other manufacturers around than Lunor. The NHS, for example.

1. leocomerford
      Boffin

Accept no substitutes

Actually, I'd guess it's at least even money that SJ was following the lead of canonical different-thinker John Lennon http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEPhLqwKo6g#t=0m17s in his choice of specs, and apparently Lennon's were a gen-u-ine NHS-issue model http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S30dv5OsK0Y , so arguably the NHS ones are the real thing.

3. nexgenmax

how bout the late Mahatma Gandhi's glasses?

4. EyeCU

We have lost an ultimate genius

Pass me the sick bag.

He was not a genius, he was a very good marketeer and that is all. Even his own biography states 'He was never much of an engineer. He didn't know how to code or programme a computer. That was Wozniak's job.'

He wasn't a designer either, that was Jonathon Ives role so can someone please explain why the word genius is being used so often to describe him?

1. A.B.Leal

> He was not a genius, he was a very good marketeer and that is all.

Perhaps a bit more. I'm no admirer, but I can't help remembering an old SF novel by Poul Anderson, titled The Man Who Counts.

In that book, travelers are stranded in a far place, with not quite helpful natives. Their leader is a merchant who does none of the actual work, but it's his scheming and chivying that actually saves them. And the soldiers and engineers he led do realize it.

2. RichyS

So, a genius can only be an engineer or a designer?

I guess that's Stephen Hawkin fucked then.

1. EyeCU

talk about miss the point

Of course someone like Hawking is a genius but he has done something to add to the sum of human knowledge. Jobs on the other hand has only ever been a salesman making his name on the work of others and not producing anything worthwhile of his own.

3. goats in pajamas
      Devil

Duh?

why the word genius is being used so often to describe him?

Because this world favours the maximum income from the minimum outlay and Mr Jobs excelled at that.

He was the ultimate blag artist.

He sold mass produced goods at handbuilt prices.

He also understood that gadgets that look like gadgets (covered in buttons and slots) only really appeal to geeks and Trekkies, everyone else likes gadgets that don't look like gadgets (as few buttons as possible makes the sheep feel safe).

4. DZ-Jay

@EyeCU

You know who also was not an engineer? Albert Einstein. I also believe that neither Copernicus, Galileo, nor Newton could code or program a computer.

Is that the only measure of genius?

5. Cameron Colley

Not the only ones I want.

I want a pair of the late Bill Gates's also, then I'll be a little happier.

Why must these egomaniacal pricks pull on every cent they can by making technology backward?

6. Stumpy
    FAIL

Crass.

that is all.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Who much more of these "Steve Jobs" stories must we endure?

Steve Jobs did NOTHING! there, I said it. He did NOT invent the Ipod. He did NOT invent the IPhone, He did no invent the IPad. He did NOT even come up with the ideas for these pleasure items. Anyone that thinks he did this is an idiot. Period. Anything you say he did, do your research and you will find the truth. He simply saw the obvious, and pushed hard to make it happen. And even then, he wasn't alone.

1. Haku

Agreed.

He was at heart an opportunitist, seeing potential in previouly existing products and copying the design but crucially engineering it to be an Apple 'idiot proof' product, where previosly you had to know some of the ins and outs of using a traditional computer (such as the early days when a computer meant ZX Spectrum, BBC Mircro, Commodore 64, Amiga, XT PC etc.), he gave the average consumer the ability to use high end hardware/software without the need to know how to use a computer, just how to move a mouse, or as is the case nowadays, touch a screen.

2. Mike H.

Yep, a glorified Sales Rep.

8. Dropper
    Coat

IP?

Pretty sure Harry Potter will be suing for IP infringement, demanding iGlasses be banned whilst championing Android glasses that offer more functionality without charging higher prices for stronger lenses.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

yes he was

I could not possible love that man, I look at those products, and they have "i DON'T TOUCH" written all over them. He deliberately went for maximum lockin. That was not an accident. He did a "demolition by neglect" on a historic house, which exposed his attitude to others as being like "If I can't have it, you won't either".

However he was a genius, without doubt. When he did the second coming bit, Apple stock was $13. Last year Apple stock cap equalled Microsoft's, This year .... It was ...

That is genius at work. Genius makes the difficult look easy.

I know why he played the years after his cancer diagnosis the way he did, believe me, you will too. You have to complete as much of your life's work as you possibly can within that horizon that is getting closer and closer.

adiue.

10. Winkypop Silver badge
    Stop

Genius : Hero

Two words that are oft overused.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yes

and neither of them are pertient to S.J.

11. zanto
    Boffin

very practical design

Round rimless glasses are very practical. They provide an optimum viewing angle without extra weight.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pig #4

I do believe these are John Lennon glasses, whose style was stolen, after his record label and his trust to not get into the music business was broken.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like