back to article Google TV receives (much needed) upgrade

Google has announced a major upgrade to a product that has fallen flat on its Googly face: Google TV. "The initial version of Google TV wasn't perfect, but launching it gave us the opportunity to learn," Google's VP of product management Mario Queiroz and director of engineering Vincent Dureau co-wrote in a blog post on Friday …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. James O'Brien
    Thumb Down

Damn Rik

Could you have been anymore of a hater on Google with that post?

Granted Apples offering to the TV market was nice it was hardly the savior of us all. As with Apple, Google is developing new markets.

While it is to be expected that a product will not be as good as some other option that is available, this does not mean that it is going to be a terrible product.

I may not have a Google enabled TV but I have seen them and quite frankly, they are rather nice.

Enjoy with trying to entice us fanbois but damn Rik. That last statements about the only 2 was alittle low.

1. Jess--

I guess he should have said all three then.

joking aside I think google are not going to succeed with this project since more and more content providers are actively blocking them. there has to come a point where there just isn't enough viable content available to the platform (unless you really count youtube as viable content), combine this with content providers own restrictions on where you can watch their content from, for the UK market (or almost anywhere apart from north america) google tv is currently useless.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Now that we know who one of the fans is, can the second one please step up?

2. Timo
    FAIL

Maybe they got the first half of succeed right

Suck. Not sure how they can be a media player when they don't have any of the content that you'd normally be looking to get "over the top." Youtube seems like a distant third or fourth choice, and you could do that much easier with any of your other existing devices.

3. Mage Silver badge

There are only two

Logitech and Sony.

I expect both to abandon ship.

4. Sampler

Why not release it as an app

For folk with PC connected TV's - something akin to Boxee, this way the installed user base will be larger so more lure for app developers and content providers.

Love my Boxee though - if it would interface with my DVBS2 card for live TV too it'd be the perfect TV interface.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The TV that watches YOU!

6. Peddler
    Childcatcher

Google or Apple TV may not be the technology that takes off but I think internet TV is the future. The clock is ticking on the broadcasting industry and blocking of content from internet delivery is the beginning of its death throes.

They will last longer in some places, like here in Canada, where they will be government-protected as a "cultural industry". Never mind that the culture is in the content and not the delivery mechanism.

7. Mikel
    Thumb Up

Looks cool

Think I'll be getting it. Wish it would link over wifi and let me use the touchscreen on my phone or tablet though, and USB or wireless game controllers. And Market should have a toggle for "Coddle me" and "Leave me choose."

Would be cooler still with Tegra 3 for awesome bigscreen gaming.

8. Robert E A Harvey

Neither the blog you link to, or the web page it links to, mention anything outside the USA.

Nor, come to think of it, does the article mention that this is a Leftpondian project.

How about World TV, anyone? I'd love to watch Australian cop series, and watch google translate subtitling Polish ones.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like