back to article Gulf of California terrorized by ONE-EYED MUTANT SHARK!

Scientists have decided that the “Cyclops shark” caught in the Gulf of California back in June is the real deal: a mutant rather than a hoax. First coming to light on the Pisces Fleet Sportfishing Blog, the images of the one-eyed dusky shark – actually a fetus found inside someone’s catch – were originally dismissed as a hoax …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. ElReg!comments!Pierre

depth perception, view angle

A predator with a very narrow angle of vision and no depth perception is not going to eat well, even with the help of its other sensory organs.

1. M7S

Re depth perception....

with this one you can mount twin lasers, one either side, set to converge at say 5 m and then it can use this for targetting, knowing that when the spots overlap to lunge forward. Or fire the full strength weapon.

IIRC the Dam Busters did something similar involving searchlights to ensure they were the right height over the reservoirs.

2. Charles Manning

No problem

Many sharks survive just fine at huge depths where there is insufficient light for any vision, let alone depth of view.

The best sensors in the sharks' box of magic tricks is the electrical sensors that can even detect prey buried under the sand. They don't need eyes at all for that sort of hunting.

The primary sensors depend largely on what and where the shark eats. Those eating seals on the surface use different sensors to those hunting fish buried under the sand.

I hazard a guess that this beastie would not really need its eyes.

1. ElReg!comments!Pierre

@ Charles

>Many sharks survive just fine at huge depths where there is insufficient light for any vision, let alone depth of view.

Very few sharks feed in these very deep waters. Besides, those which do are very rarely captured by fishers as this one was. I'd bet three pant buttons and a limp mars bar that this beastie would indeed have needed its eyes.

But I do agree about their other senses being very developped (you mentioned the Lorenzini ampullae, but their pressure and chemical sensors are usually very impressive too). Vision is still usually considered their main "hunting sense" in the 100m - 1m range (obviously not true for the filtrating sharks).

(http://www.shark.ch/Information/Senses/index.html has a very generic, watered-down overview of sharks' sensory organs)

2. jake Silver badge

Terrorized? Hardly.

This Californian is intrigued.

For a start, is it tasty?

3. Goat Jam
    WTF?

Uh

Leaving aside the positioning of the "Eye", I have to say that this eye looks more like the sort of thing you would see in a human, and not the cold, bottomless looking black-as-night eyes I normally associate with sharks.

That one looks more like it came out of an over sized Tickle Me Elmo or something.

1. The Indomitable Gall
      FAIL

Simple explanation

Because it's not where it's supposed to be, it's not properly socketed, hence the exposed white. If shark eyes didn't have whites, I don't think anyone would have bothered x-raying it....

1. Goat Jam
        Pint

Fair Enough

I also noticed that he bloke holding the shark has his hand covering the spot where the eye would normally be but that could of course just be a big fat coincidence.

I must have missed the bit about xraying the shark, but I did just look at the picture and jump straight to the comments so I'm not surprised if I missed that bit of info.

Have a beer on me!

2. Marvin the Martian

what simplistic explanation?

Google some shark eye pics: it's not about the white --- that's in every eye below the "not in use" part. It's that you have a black centre with a circular iris around it like in many mammals; shark eyes don't seem to look like that.

As for its location, it made me think they have a baby goblin shark, and they've plugged the fake eye between the nose and the extendible mandible. [e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goblin_shark .]

2. Marvin the Martian
      FAIL

There's that, yes.

Plus the hands carefully covering the placement of the "regular" eye.

Weak.

4. alwarming
    Paris Hilton

May I be the first one to say it ?

In another documentary, Paris eats the ONE EYED MONSTER between dinner and breakfast. Not available on NatGeo.

1. Thomas 4

Heh.

Eye see what you did there.

5. Steve Evans

That's evolution for you...

Mixing of the genes and random corruption throws up all kinds of weird and wonderful twists. The good twists survive. The daft ones such as a single eye providing no depth perception and reduced peripheral vision will get munch for dinner by something they didn't see coming.

It does look like a human glass eye stuck on the front of a small shark though!

1. Steve Evans

Well there's the down-vote from the tea party representative.

6. patglo

Monsters Inc

Mike Wazowski had a love child with Celia!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

They probably have trouble judging the distance to the nearest meal… in human society, monocular vision isn't necessarily a problem, but in the wild, it can be life or death.

8. Daniel B.

How did that shark manage to look like Mike Wozawski?

9. MontaraMike
    FAIL

California?

The Gulf of California is not in California.

1. Heironymous Coward
      FAIL

Um, yes.

Ever hear of Baja California? It's in Mexico, the long peninsula next to the Gulf of California. South of the US state of California.

10. VeganVegan
    Headmaster

Gulf of California, or the Sea of Cortez

Is entirely surrounded by Mexico.

The state of California, USA, is some miles north of the mouth of the Colorado River, at the northernmost tip of the Gulf.

(And, the state of Colorado is even farther north, and some distance east as well).

11. Big Al
    Facepalm

Someone has to say it...

Better keep an eye out for those then!

12. FozzyBear
    Happy

That's not it's eye

it's a friggin' laser

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'll feel safer it I find out they only hunt purple people.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Eye, for one, welcome...

..our one eyed*, foetal, shark overlords....

(I can't believe I am the first with this? What is wrong with the el reg missive? Still trying to download/install IOS5?)

*Laser firing!

15. Herby

How times change

One eyed monster in my earlier days was another name for the television. After observing a computer monitor for a multitude of years, I can only assume that the definition was updated for the times. And now this, when things keep up with the times, we just need to watch Monsters, Inc. to find out what is going on.

On the other hand, one eye, two eyes, or 4 eyes, what's the big deal.

If you really want weird things, look at the fish that moves an eye from one side of the body to the other. They exist and are plentiful. The local aquarium has at least one on display.

1. /dev/me
      Paris Hilton

Re: Times change

A one eyed monster is something /quite/ different in my book. It's something (see above) Paris would eat. But lets not get into this any further *that's what she said* for the mere thought causes harm and distress to children and vulnerable people.

16. Owen Sweeney

It reminds me of Casper.

17. Hnk0
    Boffin

Mutations in the hox genes will do that (and other horrible, non-viable things) to you.

18. Eddie Edwards

Cracked

This was on cracked.com a while ago; there are other photos there which don't have the same "he's holding it funny" appearance. I guess I could dig it up ... http://www.cracked.com/article_19466_the-6-most-mind-blowing-things-ever-caught-by-fishermen.html

19. TeeCee Gold badge
    Coat

Is this an Apple product?

iShark.......

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

No, not an Apple product

Wrong class of sea creature. An Apple product would be an eye(cephalo)Pod

20. Alex Rose

Holoprosencephaly

This is most likely a case of holoprosencephaly. Only do a google image search of holoprosencephaly if you feel like losing your lunch.

More info about this picture is available at Cracked, it's number 4 in this list-based article http://www.cracked.com/article_19466_the-6-most-mind-blowing-things-ever-caught-by-fishermen.html

And seriously, DO NOT do a Google Image Search for holoprosencephaly!

1. Kane
      Go

Challenge...

...Accepted!

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Where do I upload a picture of my one-eyed trouser trout?

22. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

In the California sea?

Then I blame Obama because of this. Its obvious Mother Nature had no more money left to pay for the other eye, how sad...

23. Christoph

I name this shark ...

Harold

24. BinaryFu
    Joke

He's sooo cute!

I want one for my exotic species collection. He can go right next to my three-assed baboon!

25. dervheid
    Alien

Not a shark...

it's an emmisary from the vindaloovian empire. :P

26. thesykes

it's obviously...

a Vindaloovian shark...

27. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just see it thinking, "Stay still you damn fish, I don't have very good depth perception!".

28. Andy80

Arms!

Never mined the one eyed shark. What about the 5 armed man?

29. Alan Brown Silver badge

fatal...

These show up from time to time as embyos - they're usually coupled with an undeveloped brain and death at birth or shortly afterwards (It's more common in cats for some reason).

This is probably the source of cyclops legends, similarly to how another hox mutation which gives an undeveloped brain and pointy ears probably led to legends of pixies and goblins (and in particular "the fairies stole my baby" ones)

30. BlueGreen

LOLclops

<http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/cyclopes.asp>

Cute or not? You decide.

I understand that cyclopism is actually a major problem with failure of brain development of which monoculism is just a symptom, hence they don't live long if at all. Then again, who needs a brain, just look up Boris Johnson the headless chicken.

Sorry, I meant mike the headless chicken, what was I thinking? Boris can feed himself *and* do up his laces.

31. Graham Lockley

Turanga Leela was the first thing that entered my head when I saw that pic. You know or you don't :)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like