back to article Sneak peek: Revamped Opera gets turboboost

Oslo: Opera has lifted the lid on a range of new technology today – and is making fresh versions of the Mobile and Mini browsers available to world+Android-using dog this afternoon. The first alpha version of version 12 for the desktop follows on Thursday. We had a sneak peek at them all in Oslo this morning. Two versions are …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Z 1
    Thumb Up

Nice. You can keep your Firefoxes and Chromes and Safaris - I'll take Opera please. Keep up the good work

- posted from Opera

2. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Opera as always the king of browsers.

The problem is, they don't have the marketing budget of Apple, Microsoft or Google, so lazy web users are unaware of it.

However anyone with even an ounce of common sense or technical knowhow should be able to spot the real king (Opera) from the PR-friendly wannabes.

Interested that Opera without hardware acceleration kills Chrome WITH hardware acceleration, and Opera with hardware acceleration totally decimates it...

"A demonstration of Microsoft’s “psychedelic browsing” HTML5 test on the Mac saw the Opera 11.5 with no hardware acceleration notch up 864 rpm; the latest Chrome with hardware acceleration score 498 rpm; and the Opera 12 reach 1,950 rpm."

3. Patrick O'Reilly

Paged Browsing

Does anyone have an example of sites that use JS for paged browsing?

The spec Håkon Wium Lie submitted to the W3C is at:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2011Oct/0342.html

4. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge
    Thumb Up

I'm an Opera fanbois, but their javascript interpreter is missing Object.create, Object.getPrototypeOf, and one or two other bits of essential ES 5 functionality. If Opera 12 fixes those omissions, then it cannot come fast enough.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Opera 12 supports ECMAScript (JavaScript) 5.1

And both those are part of it, so I would say it does....

You can pickup a Opera 12 snapshot with their latest ECMAScript 5.1 stuff in here:

http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/

5. JB
    Happy

Yawn, yawn! Another Opera browser, who cares.....actually, it looks pretty god! Hmm, ight have to give this a go! That's always been my experience with people and opera. I love it, but thenI have all the major browsers installed.

6. PaulR79
    Meh

Honeycomb browser needs a few changes

Normally I shun news about Opera but after buying an Advent Vega and being stuck with FroYo at the time I found the mobile version was very good. After the Vega got the unofficial Honeycomb and hardware acceleration I stopped using it but the performance was always great even without hardware acc. Unfortunately, the tab management is still the same as the mobile app and I hate that. I browse and use quite a few tabs even on my tablet but in Opera you always have to tap at least twice to switch tabs (as far as I know!) and closing can take up to three.

Before I'm flamed for taking a massive *three* taps to close a tab and switch tabs I just find it inpractical. The stock browser uses tabs like Chrome* and I can close them with one tap and switch with one tap. The whole point of using it for me is the immediacy and with performance of the stock browser now being up to speed I don't have to tolerate the tab management.

*I'm aware Opera used it before others, I'm not suggesting otherwise.

1. Rafael L
      Meh

I heard the stock Android browser can only open abour 4 or 8 tabs at once...

7. ScissorHands
    FAIL

AngryBrids are dead

"This Google App Engine application is temporarily over its serving quota. Please try again later."

Maybe Rovio's fault, it seems they weren't expecting Opera to have so many fans...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like