back to article Facebook suggests sharing everything all the time

Mark Zuckerberg says new features on Facebook will allow the sharing of everything automatically and give people access to your entire life history. Speaking at the keynote of the F8 developers conference in San Francisco Zuckerberg said that applications will become more social – a polite way of saying they’re posting …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Dazed and Confused
    FAIL

Gross

> Everything you do can be shared all the time

Yuck

I do hope that doesn't mean he's getting into the webcam business and putting on in the bathroom

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

FAIL yourself

You have to subscribe to the application!

1. Craigness

For what?

If you browse the web whilst logged in to facebook then you get told you could "be the first of your friends to like this" on blogs, news sites etc. Your information has been captured without your permission.

IIRC, Microsoft Office integration was opt-out, so you can't be sure what facebook does with your privacy.

2. Rich 2 Silver badge

@ "You have to subscribe to the application!"

...for now, and until FB decide that it's MUCH more convenient to subscribe you to it automatically.

God, I wish my wife wouldn't ignore me when I tell her how evil FB is!!

2. Jeff Held
    Facepalm

Dear God in heaven are you kidding?

Or has hell come to breakfast! Closing my FB acct. in 3... 2... 1...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Erm

Just don't subscribe to the application!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

no no and thrice no

What are these people smoking? nothing good that's fer sure.

Another reason (as if I needed one) never to sign up for any of these now unsocial networking sites.

Anon naturally.

4. hugo tyson
    Devil

Stalkers' paradise

'nuff said.

1. LaeMing
      Stop

ID theif's paradise, too.

Soon ID-theft will be completely automated, I am sure.

2. Gav
      FAIL

DIY BB

It would seem to me that 90% of what I do is not really that interesting to everyone. And those who may find it interesting I either already live with, and can have actual conversations with, or are precisely the kind of weirdo I wouldn't want to tell.

I don't think I want to be a member that club.

5. Aaron Em
    Trollface

Awesome!

...for me that I've avoided the Faceplague, that is. Why, what did you think I meant?

6. Youngone Silver badge
    Devil

Valuation

Facebook is "valued" at $900 Bazillion or something, and they need desperately to justify that, so this is an opportunity to gather more of your data to sell. Just ask yourself who the customer is here? (and what is the product).

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"frictionless experience"

yep, that's how I prefer to be fucked

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Optional

I've always found it more pleasurable with some friction.... Not too much obviously.

1. The Alpha Klutz

luckily for me

I've always found it more pleasurable with Zuckerberg watching through a hole in my wardrobe door.

1. sabba
          Childcatcher

Hole in the wardrobe door?

You've gotta be kidding. Zuckerberg's in the room, holding the webcam and ably assisting where he can!!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

"if the algorithms... find patterns of behavior,,, your news feed gets an update."

*computer* "Let's see... Recently purchased a Corvette... stays late every Tuesday and Thursday.. buys wine on Tuesday... had mini fridge installed in office..."

*news feed* "I'm currently having a torrid affair with my secretary, Matilda, who buys bras at Target and is TanToDeath Salon's best customer."

1. zen1
      Pint

But does she

service the brakes on your vette?

1. Montreal Sean

She doesn't service the brakes, but she does keep the stick shift well lubed.

9. A. Coatsworth Silver badge
    Stop

F8?

So,the conference is called F8. What does it mean, anyway?

I'm not luent in "1337" speak, but I read it as either "Fate" or "Fake"... none of these names are very reassuring, in my opinion

1. CyberCod
      Trollface

It means "Boot into safe mode and remove this shite"

2. The Flying Dutchman
      Happy

In Italian...

... that would spell "F-otto", thus "fotto", which is 1st person singular present of the verb "fottere".

Look that up... ;-)

10. IGnatius T Foobar
    FAIL

tired of this nonsense

After two years in the Fecesbook cesspool I closed my account last weekend. It's just so much noise and drivel and unnecessary drama. And not a moment too soon now that we're hearing that Lord Zuckerbeast intends to make Fecesbook even *more* intrusive than it was before.

11. Stephane Mabille
    WTF?

News international

No surprise that News Corp signed up, lobbying telecom network to do the same with voice mail?

(obviously not with their internal email....)

12. Paul RND*1000

“We wanted to make timeline a place you’re proud to call your home.”

That's a terrible analogy, unless your house has glass walls, no doors and a crowd of your friends (90% of whom you've never actually met in real life) always hanging around watching your every move.

I'll take a pass on this "feature" thanks.

13. Richard Bijster
    FAIL

We are all just revenue generating units

Time to think about closing my Facef##k account methinks.

1. CyberCod

You can't close it, you don't have that power. You can only stop using it. Everything you put on there will be kept on their servers. If you come back in five years and log in, it'll be like you never left at all.

14. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Applications designed by the braindead for the braindead.

At least with all these self-absorbed arseholes building their pretend lives on The Facebook they're not out in the real world bothering people with actual social skills.

15. Tom Chiverton 1

No

See $subject - who wants this ? srsly ?

16. Derk
    Mushroom

Mark Zuckerberg

Why is it that his face has punch me senseless written all over it?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Meh

Why?

My guess is that is starts with his having made an ever-loving shit ton of money by making something detestable, not really making money with it, and selling it for real money in exchange for pretend value.

I mean, I don't know about you, but that always pisses -me- off.

17. LaeMing
    Unhappy

"give people access to your entire life history"

sounds ghastly!

Will appeal to all those who missed selection for reality TV shows, I guess.

18. Len Goddard
    FAIL

Absolutely bloody terrifying

Maybe I'm missing the point, but most of what I do is of no interest to anybody else and the information that is of interest to others is probably only of interest to people I don't want to know it. Also, most of what other people do is of less than no interest to me.

Unfortunately, too many companies now assume all their customers have facebook and put valuable information there which is not easily accessible elsewhere. I've got around this by creating a completely anti-social profile - every privacy setting maxxed out and every piece of information ont he profile itself is a lie.

19. Craigness
    Big Brother

Simple...

Open a private browser session.

Close private browser session.

Don't let facebook anywhere near your regular browsing experience and don't tell it anything.

1. David Hicks

You can also use tools like adblock plus to block any/all facebook related assets from loading in third party websites, which should stop fb's ability to treack a lot of this crap.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

one step too far.. as usual

Facebook was once good for keeping in touch with old friends etc... However, recently, its been pushing more emphasis to advertising what people do with the aid of external advertisers.

For example, i never used top stories becuase it was rubbish but thats the only choice now, recent stories are an afterthought, bolted on to the bottom and only a small selection. I'd rather choose what i want to see, not facebook.

Maybe time to see Google+

1. Putonghua73
      FAIL

Re: one step too far.. as usual

It's sad in many ways, as I used Facebook in exactly the way that you described: keeping in contact with friends, ex-work colleagues, acquaintances and old friends (university) whom I like to know what's going on in their lives over the years.

The new direction is all about selling one's content rather than sharing, The former 'Recent Events' feed worked perfectly for keeping in contact with people, sharing lives with each other (and having full control over what we share). Facebook has become far, far too intrusive, too busy and is a poor user-experience.

Google+ is user-friendly, intuitive and even ascetic compared to Facebook.

When I log on to Facebook, I'm bombarded with content - none of which I can contextualise due to lacking chronology - and tickers and feeds. In log on to Google+, and I feel calm, relaxed, serene.

I'm still deciding on how best to migrate my picture albums out of Facebook and into either Flickr or Google+. Then deactivate and delete my account, bitch!

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bit scary that.

Also, i looked up the facebook app on android marketplace, the other day, it scared me a bit:

This application has access to the following:

Your accounts

act as an account authenticator

Allows an application to use the account authenticator capabilities of the AccountManager, including creating accounts and getting and setting their passwords.

manage the accounts list

Allows an application to perform operations like adding, and removing accounts and deleting their password.

Services that cost you money

send SMS messages

Allows application to send SMS messages. Malicious applications may cost you money by sending messages without your confirmation.

Your location

fine (GPS) location

Access fine location sources such as the Global Positioning System on the device, where available. Malicious applications can use this to determine where you are, and may consume additional battery power.

Your messages

edit SMS or MMS

Allows application to write to SMS messages stored on your device or SIM card. Malicious applications may delete your messages.

receive SMS

Allows application to receive and process SMS messages. Malicious applications may monitor your messages or delete them without showing them to you.

read SMS or MMS

Allows application to read SMS messages stored on your device or SIM card. Malicious applications may read your confidential messages.

Network communication

full Internet access

Allows an application to create network sockets.

Your personal information

read contact data

Allows an application to read all of the contact (address) data stored on your device. Malicious applications can use this to send your data to other people.

write contact data

Allows an application to modify the contact (address) data stored on your device. Malicious applications can use this to erase or modify your contact data.

Phone calls

read phone state and identity

Allows the application to access the phone features of the device. An application with this permission can determine the phone number and serial number of this phone, whether a call is active, the number that call is connected to and the like.

Storage

modify/delete USB storage contents modify/delete SD card contents

Allows an application to write to the USB storage. Allows an application to write to the SD card.

System tools

write sync settings

Allows an application to modify the sync settings, such as whether sync is enabled for Contacts.

prevent device from sleeping

Allows an application to prevent the device from going to sleep.

Fuck that noise.

1. Anonymous Coward
    2. Matt Thompson
      Alert

Matt

I started reading your comment, got bored with how much it has access to and pictured the scene from iRobot where the robots go into auto-update mode and take over the world!

3. Robert Helpmann??
      Childcatcher

... And Gets Worse

It would also seem that this would erode the last places we would have a reasonable expectation of privacy. Why do so many people think that it is such a wonderful idea to share with the online world things that are much better kept to themselves? Socially, this is removing barriers that define the idea of privacy. Legally, Facebook may some day constitute de facto consent for government entities to search where today it would be illegal for them to do so. After all, if you want to have a private life separate from your public life, why would you go through the effort of making everything public?

22. wsm
    Thumb Down

What?

This resembles the nightmares of people who fear the Internet is taking over their lives. When and how does anyone remove their information? Once your identity is on the Internet, it's not yours anymore.

23. sisk

That's nice.

It's so kind of Zuckerberg to give Google+ a helping hand by driving away his customers just as it's getting started. That's gotta be the goal here, right? Because otherwise the deafening screams of "WE HATE THE NEW FACEBOOK" yesterday would have been a sign to stop and reconsider the changes, not a sign to go ahead with the rest of the plan.

1. VinceH
      Big Brother

Letters, digits.

Zuck & co know perfectly well that they can ignore the deafening screams of "WE HATE THE NEW FACEBOOK" because there are deafening screams of "WE HATE THE NEW FACEBOOK" every time the layout changes, and after a little while the users just forget everything's changed and carry on with it as usual - at least, until the next time things are moved around and there's a new round of deafening screams of "WE HATE THE NEW FACEBOOK".

The screams are about nothing more than resistance to change.

This, though, is different - and the chances are most of the plebs won't understand the implications and will just accept it as usual.

24. x-oterix

God that felt good!

Just closed my account (fakebook) for good.... What a bunch of numpties

25. Nanners
    Big Brother

Easy way out

There is an easy way to deal with this Facebook nonsense. DON'T use your real name when signing up. Use an avatar from the start, and NEVER post a picture of you smoking your bong. That's the way I handled it. Take your security back from suckitberg.

26. Wile E. Veteran
    Mushroom

Goodbye FB and thanks for all the fish

B**tards won't even let you delete your account permanently yourself. You have to submit a "request" for account deletion to their helpless desk. Your account is only "deactivated" but they retain all your data for 14 days so you can change your mind.

1. RISC OS

I diactivated my account

do I have to ask them to delete it?

Or do i just have to wait 14 days?

1. Wile E. Veteran
        Thumb Down

Delete vs deactivate on FB

You have to explicitly ask for deletion using a well-hidden form you can only find through the FAQ. Otherwise, they keep all your stuff forever even though you cannot use it.

I deleted all personal data, photos etc.. before submitting my delete request so they have little beyond my posts and comments to delete.

27. CyberCod
    FAIL

Zuck you Fuckerburg.

28. Winkypop Silver badge
    FAIL

"The potential hurdle is getting people to share that much data."

Nah, with me it's more like:

"The hurdle is getting people to share data."

Period.

29. ZweiBlumen
    Boffin

Reinventing the blog???

Isn't the timline, like, just a blog of your life events. No need to do that on facebook. Use Wordpress or whatever for the same effect. Sure, it might not look so professional (unless you're a graphic designer), but it's definitely more you than a facebook timline.

30. wheany

So that's why I was seeing Mafia wars

Some of my relatives play Mafia wars all the time but thoughtfully they have decided to not share their MW activities on their public feed. Except now with the ticker, I'm seeing the damn things anyway...

31. deadlockvictim

Bringing live frogs slowly to the boil

I read once about a psychiatric condition, in which the affected person believes that they can keep nothing secret and they are afraid that everybody knows everything about them, especially that which they would rather keep secret.

The more I read about Facebook the more I think about this condition.

32. Mostor Astrakan

I keep repeating myself.

But in the interest of stating the blindingly obvious, again and again: Stuff you care about belongs on your own computer.

33. dephormation.org.uk
    Thumb Down

In brief

So much unlike anything I would ever want, I can barely find words.

34. tiggertaebo
    Devil

Something funny, and or clever.

I continues to amaze me how without fail every time there is a change or "improvement" to facebook it actually makes me want it less. So glad I never signed up and never have any intention of doing so.

35. wibble001

Unfortunately you need to bear in mind that the majority of Facebooks users are not "tech savvy" and will have no idea what information it is sharing/collecting, and i suspect most of them won't even care.

36. This post has been deleted by its author

37. The Alpha Klutz
    Megaphone

you don't get it

Facebook don't want to sell your data anymore, nobody wants your data anyway, except maybe the odd opportunist criminal. No, their plan is now much bigger.

Their plan is actually to control you at the emotional level, to do what Facebook's clients want, for profit.

Let me explain. Human behaviour is a product of human social interactions. Human social interactions are now mediated by Facebook. If they want you to buy more, they turn down the relevance of your non-spendthrift friends. Where relevance is a literal integer, the value of which genuinely and in real life controls how many of your friend's messages get through to you and at what time after they were posted. Turn the relevance down, and the non-relevant person becomes a non-person.

Facebook's algorithms therefore impose on real life a new model of behaviour.

It gets worse.

Now applications (application is code for 'Facebook client company') are given actual permission to fabricate your firends communications with you. Fabricate means make up. Make up to say "I have just spent a lot of money on a product that I think you should buy". This can be done either explicitly or just as effectively using subtle psychological tricks such as picturing your friends next to expensive products (try and stop your brain from assuming they own them, ooops, you can't).

Why do you need user data, when you can cut that part out and just control the users directly? You think it's hard? LOL get 750 million people together in a group and they will do anything. Especially if you tell them their friends are doing it.

But it still gets worse.

Now thanks to Facebook people have a new set of parameters by which to define friendship. An artifical set of paramets invented by marketing companies and Facebook, designed to fit computational models of the economy. Economic models of people, not psychological ones. The upshot is we will all suffer from horrible life changing mental illnesses, but at least Mark is rich.

This social control phenomenon also constitutes a full and complete explanation of the August riots. Anyway don't worry about it, just remember to drink Dr Pepper brand cola. What's the worst that could happen?

1. Scott Broukell
      Thumb Up

Thumbs Up

Spot on.

May I add that, imho, that it's all very symptomatic of the market-driven, 21st century capitalist model currently driving us into greater and greater misery and depravity. We need, desperately, to re-shape our model of consumption - globally. The continued exponential growth that traders and investors clamor for is akin to weeds ravishing a beautiful, and sustainable, wild-flower meadow.

Whilst I accept that money is the blood that flows through the veins of an economy to keep the machinery turning - continually pumping up the speed and pressure on that blood flow will inevitably lead to ill health and a short term life expectancy.

Whilst traders desperately sell each other pieces of our/their debts on made-up magical bits of e-paper, many are turning to such (anti) social networking systems to bleed / leech more out of the beautiful flowers, already turning their fine petaled heads downwards away from the blue sky and sunshine, until they wither, transfixed upon the bare, scorched earth and collapse in a heap.

The only glimmer of hope is that composting is a splendid and sustainable way by which this matter can be recycled so that flower meadows can spring up anew.

(maybe I'm suffering Seasonally Affected Disorder early this year - cheers petals ;-))

38. MonkeyScrabble
    Holmes

The sad fact is...

That the sheeple who religiously log into Facebook, day in and day out, keeping the world updated on how many times their bowels have moved in the last 24 hours, will accept any changes that Zuckerberg wants to make.

They will bleet a bit and follow the herd into blindly clicking "Ok"/"I accept" then continue to dole out every last bit of private/inane/earth shattering news that happens in their life and not stop to consider the consequences.

In my opinion, good luck to them. When it comes back to bite them they will have no one to blame but themselves, and I don't mean identity theft or targeted marketing.

When you go for that new job and get turned down becasue the company says you seem a bit undesirable or just not their type of person, you should know it's probably due to the photo of yourself drunkenly running round with your trousers down wearing a traffic cone on your head, which you posted "for a laugh".

1. arrbee
      Black Helicopters

Its getting more subtle than that:

- prospective employer (or maybe potential parent-in-law, policeman, etc) acquires a summary of your likes & dislikes as recorded on FB;

- optionally adds similar info for those of your FB friends with who you're most often in contact;

- runs this info through an app which generates a summary of your apparent personality (probably labelled "psych profile" or something similarly authoritative).

Think hand-writing analysis for the 21st century.

Also think how many organisations would pay money to have such a system in place to, say, automate the screening of job applications.

39. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I wholeheartedly use Farcebook..

.. as it is a complete delight to feed them crap.

40. AndGregor
    Pint

pointless tat

So there is incredible value in knowing that your neighbours dog has just had it's fifth birthday, yet no-one can find a way to make any monies from knowing all this useless tat..?

Good luck in convincing me I should buy something because a needy fb buddy has an advert next to their name, bloated marketing dept. soon to be looking for work.

In a side note, is impossible to un-install fb from my wildfire-s, come on Google give me a delete button please..

beer because... Just because.

41. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Mark Zuckerberg must be Evil

It seems like he thinks that most of people are completely vapid morons and suckers, and he may be right, but that does not forgive what he's doing!

I want nothing to do with this enemy of privacy and supporter of social drivel, or any of his projects.

42. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Insurance company get-out

I am waiting for insurance companies to put in the fine print that if you gift all your data on Facebook. You are not covered!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like