back to article RIM share price nosedives following stinky numbers

Research In Motion's share price crashed quite spectacularly in the first hour and a half that the market was open in New York, dropping 20 per cent off its price. The BlackBerry and PlayBook maker's shares are now trading at $23.46, down from $29.40 at the previous day's close, after it announced that its profits had nearly …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

FFS

Oh stop calling it "the Jobsian cult", for christ sake.

The masses aren't buying iPads and iPhones because they are brainwashed, they're buying it because its the best gear on the market.

Well deserved, some might say.

Anon, because of the anti-apple Microsoft numpties who'll be hammering that downvote button right about now.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Self fulfilling prophecy

"Anon, because of the anti-apple Microsoft numpties who'll be hammering that downvote button right about now."

Maybe people are downvoting you because of this.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"anti-apple Microsoft numpties"

What about all the anti-apple Linux numpties - be fair !

1. adrianrf
        Trollface

don't worry - they both upvoted your comment...

...so that's all right, innit.

3. Mike Judge
      FAIL

The masses are buying iPads because thats all they know. They havn't bothered to get off their fat lazy arses and look at anythung else.

If Steve Jobs says its the best, then it must be the best. That's how they think, why would he lie...

They are the idiots, as there are plenty of better and cheaper devices out there...

1. Chris 3
        Facepalm

Thanks for calling me a lazy idiot, I actually did a fair bit of research and looked at a couple of Andriod tablets before opting for an iPod2.

They were cheaper yes, but what are your criteria to measure "better"?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Yeah you're right. It's not as if the likes of Tesco have alternatives on prominent display in their stores. No, wait a min....

3. Giles Jones Gold badge

I think it's more the case that they know what they're getting and they know the the iPad will do what they want. It also won't be abandoned the week after they buy one.

If they bought a HP Touchpad then they would be buying into a dead platform. If they buy a Playbook then there's a risk it's abandonware too.

As for Android tablets, there's too many to choose from and it's confusing to most people as to which one to get. Most people aren't adept at scanning specifications and understanding what it all means. The price of many alternatives doesn't help either.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Childcatcher

actualy your right

Though may I suggest iCrack a better term for them like we had crackberry before that. The crack pipe has officialy been passed too Apple. I rest my case.

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yep it's a cult. Here are the tenets:

Thou shalt not waste time configuring settings irrelevant to 95% of users

Thy interface will take commands such that a gesture of intent is all that is required to succeed

Thou shalt not buy crap

Help the delusional who believe in the $100 suit - recognize them when they utter the word "Android"

You may leave the cult at any time without pressure but be wary, once you enter and drink the coolaid you will not wish to leave

The secret of the coolaid is that it is cool, it does not deceive

2. DJ 2

I've had a blackberry for a few years now, but the next phone will be an Iphone, either a 4, 4s or 5 depending on the specs of whatever is produced.

Currently the AppWorld doesn't work at all, I've got applications on the blackberry that I use every day that I cannot use because an update is required.

1. RegGuy
      FAIL

No apps...

I too have a Blackberry. When I got it I thought it would be cool to read PDFs, and so I wouldn't need to lug my laptop around. However, I couldn't find an app to read PDFs. Or rather, there were a few out there, but none were free.

If I have to pay for an app to do something so basic they can fuck off.

So my Blackberry is a (rather crap) phone.

3. Richard Jones 1

One Nil to the lawyers?

Well I thought that the sales of the apple stuff was because they had lawyers better able to bully courts and ban anyone who produced a working model that was not an apple item.

Apple - another good reason not to buy a 'pad' device, what would you do with it anyway? I am too old for table tennis so could not use an ipad as a bat.

1. cloudgazer

So, it was the lawsuits against Samsung that killed the Touchpad and are killing the Playbook? Is this based on the principle of sympathetic magic? That by suing the maker of one tablet they somehow affected all the others?

Clearly you're not just too old for table tennis.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What chance have RIM got?

The tech for the technically illiterate are muching the ipad in the vain belief that it's supposed "prestige" will rub off on them. (even tho apple uses are viewed as the grandparents who can't program the VCR)

1. alex 39
      WTF?

Keep telling yourself that while you type on your Dell notebook, with the keyboard moving underneath your fingers like a sponge.

Then kick back and relax with a game or some video from the wide range available on the app/media stores on your playbook .... oh wait.

1. dogged

Meanwhile

You can join me in a co-op FPS on your Mac... oh wait, no scratch that.

5. 1Rafayal
    Pint

dear oh dear

I rather think it is up to the person buying the kit to decide what constitutes as "the best".

The Jobsian Cult tends to imply that their stuff is the best, regardless if this is true for the individual consumer.

No doubt I will be blacklisted by the Apple Fanbois now for this, but sometimes I dont like Apple kit. There, I have said it now.

Pint, because it is Friday and too late in the day to argue whether or not Apple is the best..

6. Mage Silver badge

Won't be hard for MS to come third I'm thinking. All they need to do is stay on the Market.

7. Camilla Smythe
    Holmes

Yay!!!! Wankers.

I cleared $300,000 by shorting at the right time.

Still fondling your phones/slabs?

Bwah-ha-ha-ha!!!!!

Wankers!

That is all.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

and this ^^^^ is why bankers and their ilk are held in such high regard just now.

8. Pirate Peter

playbook failed for same reason as hp fondle slab

poor spec and over priced

i looked at both and decided i could buy a decent laptop for what they wanted me to pay for a oversized media player / web browser with little capability for expansion or connecting to anything useful

9. Joe Montana
    FAIL

Premium product

Apple have always been a premium vendor, they are the current market leader and have a much wider selection of apps available than any of the competitors.

Anyone looking to compete with them will either have to do so on price (see hp) or offer a significantly better product for the same price.

Motorola seem to have the right idea, and are heavily discounting the Xoom, the 32gb model can now be had for under £300 compared to the 16gb iPad 2 at £400, and their tablet is android based so it has far less app availability problems than HP or RIM faced.

These vendors need to take a punt, and offer their tablets at break even price in the short term to gain market share.

If given the choice between the market leading, premium ipad2 or a lesser known non premium brand with less apps available for the same price, what would you choose?

10. Anonymous Coward 101

So...

...when can I lay my hands on a cheap Playbook? I missed the cheap Touchpads.

11. GoGlen
    Pint

Wow, how its fallen - high of $148

At what point does it become a tailspin and virtually impossible to turn around? The stock high was $148 in June 2008... now about 1/7 that.

Pretty soon, their patents are going to be all they have left. I wonder if Googlerola will try to buy them (and become Research in Moogle)?

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Anecdotally one large company I know where everyone has Blackberries is no giving Ipads to all managers. So, Apple has won that round. Pity because I think the Playbook is a nice concept. Then again the story of RIM's own rise and fall is indicative of a very fickle market. Given that the competition has pretty much caught up with IOS with better hardware - I wonder if Apple's desire to go after Samsung is related to not getting hold of AMOLED screens? - we'll probably see more legal stuff from a company running out of innovation juice.

1. a_been

Nice concept, crap product.

The post is required, and must contain letters.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I have to use a BlackBerry at work...

...and it's horrible. The sooner RIM go bust the better for all of us.

And I did choose my icon.

14. Neil Anderson
    Facepalm

Shipped doesn't equal sold

RIM said they shipped 200,000 PlayBooks. They didn't reveal numbers of actual sell through.

15. AlexS
    Megaphone

Are people forgetting?

... That RIM do great phones..... Many now available via ebay (owner in prison). Hopefully Apple users will riot next.

16. TeeCee Gold badge
    FAIL

How to fuck up - by RIM.

1) Introduce a tablet that isn't an iPad - Industry standard FAIL these days.

2) Call it a Playbook - 2FAIL.

3) Neglect to include any of the functions that makes your quaintly archaic shit sell to suits - EPIC FAIL.

3) Market it as a massively overpriced Flash appliance - EPIC FAIL WITH GILT KNOBS ON.

17. Hugo CHAV

Best BB ever

Its not like they have not got good product, my current BB, a Bold i think , recently obsoleted by latest version , Is a better phone and messaging device than pretty much anything i have used since the legendary Nokia 3210, stripped back to what we use smartphones for its better than an iPhone or Android clone, what its rubbish at is internet and Apps, which after you have had your initial fun with stay in the box anyway, they use to much battery and away from home where they would be most use, cost too much because of high cost of roaming, leaving you with an inferior product.

But like many superior products in the past fashion and good enough functionality will do for it, poor old RIM. http://www.theregister.co.uk/Design/graphics/icons/comment/fail_32.png

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like