back to article Firm claims it can put NFC tap-cash tech in a SIM card

SK Telecom has announced that it will launch an NFC-capable SIM card next month, achieving something hitherto considered impossible while skipping over the need for technical explanation. The company reckons that come October it will be able to offer SIMs with Near Field Communications capabilities built in, and is keen to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. J P

While we're waiting for them to get back to you, can I interest you in this flying car I've developed? It comes with a lifetime supply of snake-oil...

2. Lau
    Happy

mmmh...

Quite curious to see how this SIM will be able to power a passive tag from behind some metal plate...

3. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    FAIL

Optional - Lets hope that this stuff remains Optional

or even better more 'pie in the sky' like Cold Fusion and affordable Flying Cars.

NFC === "No Frigging Chance" of me ever using it.

4. swiftone
    WTF?

Errr...

I'm no expert on NFC or SIM technology but Orange UK and Barclaycard offer an NFC capable Samsung Handset where the SIM is the NFC chip.

1. Bill Ray (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Errr...

The Orange deployment, along with all the other operator-backed efforts, puts the secure element (containing the applications) in the SIM, but the radio and antenna are both in the phone.

The SIM makes use of the radio over the SWP (Single Wire Protocol), but only Orange gave me free cookies.

Bill.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bladox Waver [sic]

The only way this could work is if the SIM has a foldable antenna which sits between the battery and rear of the case.

A Czech firm has been doing this for about 3 years but hasn't gained much traction in the market, for some reason.

http://www.bladox.cz/products.php?lang=en

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Who the hell wants to buy something with a phone with no functioning display?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like