back to article Intel shows linear scaling with MIC coprocessor

The chip world is moving from multicore to many-core, says Intel chief technology office Justin Rattner. In certain circles, such talk makes sense – a many-core chip includes many more cores than a multicore chip – and according to Rattner, the transition to a many-core world won't be as difficult as expected. At the Intel …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Goat Jam
    WTF?

Marketing

Marketing Droid 1: Hey, this multicore stuff is da bomb, we need to push it harder

Marketing Droid 2: Yeah, but all our competitors are doing it too

Marketing Droid 1: Then let's put more of those "core" doo-hickeys in our stuff

Marketing Droid 2: OK, but our competitors are likely to be planning that too

Marketing Droid 1: Hmmm, then what we need to do is give ours a another name.

Marketing Droid 2: Like?

Marketing Droid 1: Oh, I dunno, what about "many-core". "many" is more than "multi", right?

Marketing Droid 2: Uh, maybe, I suppose . . .

Marketing Droid 1: Great, many-core it is, get one of our eggheads out to one of our geek-fests to tell everyone about our great new product.

Marketing Droid 2: OK, hey, is that that beret wearing weirdo down the hall? I think he has something to do with making the shit we sell.

2. Pperson

Same old same old

"Basically, CERN is seeing essentially linear scalability on the Knights coprocessor."

What a shock - take a pre-existing embarrassingly-parallel distributed algorithm, run it on many-core CPUs (thereby removing the network) and .. it remains embarrassingly-parallel! Boy, that's magical.

"...it is an easy transition from multicore to many core" As opposed to what? Programming the GPU? Rattner himself says that many-core is just scaled-up multi-core (ie: a name change) so this statement is meaningless. In fact, the whole presentation was meaningless since it's just more-of-the-same as it has been since Core-2 (or even the HT Pentium-IV), just 10 years and more cores on.

"Now, we are just at the beginning of the age of many-core processors."

I'm inspired.

1. Francis Boyle Silver badge

And

it:'s not like we didn't already know physics simulations.work well on massively parallel co-processors.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

What's happened to the art of bylining?

A simple "March of the Pentiums" would've been much better.

4. Eddy Ito
    Coat

"but it's going to be 64 cores..."

Awww, come on Intel! It's a coprocessor so the number of cores should be... 87. Dont' forget to build it so a system can have multiple coprocessors. I can't wait for the day when I can show off my new computer that has 4 87 coprocessors.

It's the one with the 5 1/4 floppy in the pocket. Thanks

Oh sorry, that's a type of floppy disk.

A flat square thing with what looks like a thin flexible record inside.

A record is piece of vinyl with a groove.... never mind, I'll get a new one.

5. Jonathan Walsh
    Thumb Down

Nice hat

Nice hat.

6. Stutter

OpenCL isn't AMD's stream processing language, it's called FireStream. OpenCL is an open standard that has no connection to either; an NVIDIA suit is on the board, even though it has CUDA.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like