back to article Hunt blasts progress on BT infrastructure-share plans

Jeremy Hunt is fed up with BT's slow response to pressure from communications watchdog Ofcom and ISP rivals over the telco giant's pole and duct pricing plans that are expected to be revealed later this month. In a speech at the Royal Television Society in Cambridge last night, the culture secretary said he was concerned about …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

why?

Why does BT still control the infrastructure? I guess its because their whopping pension deficit is covered by the UK Govt......

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Err...

BT Still controls the infrastructure because the previous tory government separated them from the post office and sold them off (to the people who already owned them.) They then put in place regulation which basically prevented BT from competing, until the other telcos had time to catch up with putting in their own infrastructure. The other telcos, with the exception of the local cablecos, did sod all for anything except backbone/trunk links, because that was where the money was. When ADSL came along, they all stated bitching that it wasn't fair that they didn't have the last mile and that BT should let them use their last mile.

Now personally, I think that physical national infrastructure such as trains, electricity, water, gas, telecomms from the exchange , etc, etc, etc should belong to the state, but what do I know...

2. Blofeld's Cat
    Holmes

Ah...

"Mobile phone operators must put aside competitive differences and work together in their common – and our national - interest to make this happen."

Well, good luck with that.

3. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Hunt the C....

So if thing like 4G is sooooo amazingly important to the future of Britain, why charge so much for it? Slash the cost of buying it and then I'm sure the operators will leap at it and it means they can lower their costs (well in theory).

1. Jim Morrow
      Paris Hilton

why would mobile telcos want 4g to be cheap when they have a captive market for 3G who pay stupid amount of money for very little bandwidth?

paris icon because she's just not worth it either.

4. Steven Jones

"PIA has to be sorted out – and quickly - in a way that allows fair competition with different providers able to invest in our broadband infrastructure. It’s also important that we have a properly competitive market in retail fibre."

"Mobile phone operators must put aside competitive differences and work together in their common – and our national - interest to make this happen."

Spot the difference?

5. Elmer Phud
    FAIL

Watcha gonna do Mr Unt - privatise it?

Hold your breath until you turn blue?

Your mob sold the company off now live with it. The market never responded like it was supposed to, the loads archetypal 'small companies' got swallowed up for the subscribers and the profits - not the infrastucture, 'shareholders' grabbing what they could and buggering off. You know, standard business practice that you value so highly but now are moaning about.

6. TheManCalledStan
    Stop

I don't think politicians are in any position to criticise any organisation about planning abilities and timelines...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Hunt's

about two days behind schedule himself; they're starting to call him "See You Next Thursday".

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like