back to article Nintendo 3DS gets more stick

Nintendo is touting an attachment to the 3DS, which plonks an additional slide pad to the right of the button set and readies the handheld machine for dual-stick gaming action. This extra functionality puts it on a par with more conventional console controllers. Whispers of such a device have been around a while now, but the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. 1Rafayal
    Alert

I am not convinced with this

I saw this on Kotaku a while back and have to admit I am not really convinced that this is any good.

There are rumours about a new type of 3DS that has a second stick built in, if Nintendo does go down this route then how are early adopters going to feel? Not only has this group of people had to see the price of the console slashed, there could be a cheaper enhanced version on the way?

If games like MGS3 need the second stick, then Nintendo are going to have to make a device with the second stick built in, there is no way premium games like MGS3 are going to be released for a console with optional hardware... And yes, I do see a game that was released six years ago as a premium title for the 3DS.

if early adopters are going to (eventually) get free games as part of the ambassador program apology, then how is Nintendo going to address this oversight?

1. P Zero

I forget, did uDraw for the Wii require optional hardware? Likewise, there are Kinect exclusives on the 360. I get what you're saying, but with the latest batch of consoles "must have" accessories are becoming a standard theme. And if they're selling the consoles at a loss, I can hardly blame them.

2. Thomas 4

Inclined to agree

It does look extremely ugly but it might improve the ergonomics of the d-pad. I find it uncomfortable to use it for too long on my 3DS but fortunately the left stick is still accurate enough for platforming shennanigans like Castlevania.

3. Steve Ives
    Paris Hilton

I can see a new DS on it's way and free add-ons to early adopters...

Paris - 'cos I'm sure I've seen her in some twin-stick action...

4. Aaron Em

"those who like pink gaming kit"

Nicely dodged!

5. sabroni Silver badge
    WTF?

it's the sega 32x all over again

Nintendo, much as I love them, have totally lost the plot here. The reason the 3ds hasn't sold well isn't the lack of an extra analogue, or that it's not ugly enough, it's because there's bugger all to play on it! (especially if you already played ocarina to death). It needs a system seller and it needs it before xmas if this device is to avoid the fate of the virtual boy....

6. YARR

Widescreen?

Hmmm, if they introduced a new model with a 2nd stick, there would be space for a widescreen display. Then that would break backward compatibility, unless games supported either size screen.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

so..

Can we all agree now that the 3DS is a disaster so far (still hardly any decent software) , the people who bought V1.0 will be shafted when (not if) the new dual stick version is launched, and the software base has just been fractured between single and dual stick users.

The only thing keeping this alive is the inability of Sony to ship the NGP (sorry, Vita) any sooner.

8. MJI Silver badge

Aghhhh - bodge

What a stupid idea in the first place.

Now Nintendo should have looked around and thought. Fit two to begin with.

Unfortunately this will hurt the 3DS as people will wait for a built in version on the next 3DS variant.

Not a nice idea but it adds the twin analogue stick. Now how much work would it have been to have designed it in originally!.

I know the DS has none and PSP 1.

9. Tommy Pock

If I don't have a 3DS, will there be the same peripheral for my DS, my DS Lite, my DS XL, my DSi or my... Ah fuck it. I think I've played Mario enough.

10. Vitani

As an avid Nintendo fan, and life-time supporter in the "fan-wars" I'd just like to say, "aaah ha ha ha haa, this looks so dumb".

That is all.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like