back to article Knickerless: the secure data centre connection

For the record, the panties in question were spotted by a reader in a well-known London data centre. Our man says that the premises are protected by swipe cards, voice recognition, palm scanners, ex-special forces operatives armed with Tasers, Japanese-built killbots, three electified razor-wire fences, and a miniature …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Daniel Bennett
    Coat

Their system

Their system must be pants...

2. Rob Crawford
    Coat

Another question is

how did your operative get in carrying a camera.

Any sites I have worked in has been, no mp3 players, mobile phones, cameras, CDs or USB devices

3. frank denton
    Paris Hilton

Exaggeration?

I know IT's important but I'm sure you bulked it up after the palm scanners.

I'm not even sure about the palm scanners. Too much Christmas spirit too early Lester?

4. Patrick
    Stop

Looks like ...

... a lot of cloth for a pair of knickers the celebutards are wearing (presumably, since I've never met them, neither the celebutards, nor the knickers...)

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Impressive Security

Obviously not in Kings Cross, then again, perhaps she was a stripper dressed as a copper.

6. The Other Steve
    Flame

@frank denton

You should ask Santa for a betters sense of humour.

7. Dam

@Steve

Microsoft's Santa ?

He had too much of it for his own good, my, what with him offering oral...

8. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

Why?

Why is the close-up rotated from the main picture?

We should know - is there some conspiracy here?

Where does the photo come from?

Freedom of Information now! Set the information free!

Free the Knickers!

Don't let them go back to Ms Hilton - she'll just get gold paint on them!

9. Chris Collins

Duster?

My mum used to retain worn out undergarments as dusters. Perhaps some environmentally conscious techie has done the same. Or perhaps it's the aroma that reminds him of good times on those lonely late shifts.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@frank

palm scanners are no joke, biometric security is in appearance at lots of data centres around London.

11. Tom

big knickers

Those are some large knickers, maybe a Data Centre Engineer grabbed some of his wife's grandma pants (or even his grandmas) to give the servers a good dusting.

The logic is sound though, soft cotton is a good cleaning fabric.

12. GT
    Paris Hilton

What size knickers

I'd like to know before you reveal how to apply for a job at said data centre. I thought most data centres suffered from cooling problems ... is this a suitable environment for this kind of behaviour?

13. Neil Hoskins
    Coat

Rational Explanation

Sorry to be a party pooper, but as a wannabe geek who actually managed to pull off the feat of having some knowledge of persons of the female gender... nay... actually *married* one... this is easily explained. During "the wash", ladies' undergarments frequently end up getting inside trouser legs, and are not always immediately apparent until later in the day, when they either fall loose, or are surreptitiously shaken loose, whilst looking straight ahead hoping nobody notices.

14. sub1ime_uk
    Paris Hilton

Re: What size knickers

Hmmm... well if that there's a 19" rack then the floor tiles are probably the 60cm square ones. The knickers look to be a 'bout a quarter or so across one of them and so are roughly 30cm in circumference which is about 12" but then you have to allow for elastic expansion so add on about the same again and you'd get a size 6 I'd say. Pretty small I think.

15. Dave Aitken
    Alien

irrational rational explanation

Oh yeah, right! Surreptitiously shake the granny pants out of trouser leg WHILST STOOD IN SERVER ROOM.

As for the cleaning cloth theory: the newer the pants the better; old pants generate too much lint.

The real explanation is clearly extra-terrestrial

16. Ron Eve

I don't think so...

@Neil Hoskins - I've never yet met a women who allows her underwear to be washed with 'trousers' or any other outer wear. They usually wash them separate, or with other frillies, so they don't go grey (errr.. or so I'm told...).

Unless, of course, you were wearing them...

More to the point, I think we need to find out who the 'intruder' was and how they got in. Was it a 'rear entry'? Maybe a packet sniffer would help.

Coat

Secure exit

17. JeffyPooh

"...what level of threat did the penetration pose to national security..."

"...penetration..."?

Coat/Door and quickly...

18. Risky
    Coat

ah-ha!

"......miniature helicopter gunship packing intruder-frying microwave weaponry."

So the intruder was all tin-foil hat and no knickers?

/+coat -smalls

19. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Wait a second...

... we're talking about nerds and geeks here! Just because they're pink, you assume they're a woman's knickers (and even if they are a woman's, where does a nerd get a woman from to have worn them)? More likely they're the nerd/geek's own, or stolen from somewhere when 'she' wasn't looking. Tut tut.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

"...what level of threat did the penetration pose to national security..."

a virus infection called 'Chlamydia'

21. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

@Rob C

Most of the commercial London DCs I've been in have SIGNS saying no cameras, mobile phones etc. I have yet to be in one where they even mention the rule, let alone attempt to enforce it. Particularly the one about mobile phones! Although in a lot of them the cages themselves create enough of a Faraday effect to render mobiles mostly useless in most of the building anyway.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Go

big knickers

Reminds me of the Larry The Cable Guy sequence where he was talking about edible underwear, and how the pair he was eating was large enough to fill him up. He's a big guy...

23. Geoff
    Joke

Brings new meaning to the words...

..."Rack Mount".

24. Mike
    Coat

Obviously...

One of Sheriff Arpaio's ex inmates.

Taxi...

25. Dalen
    Thumb Up

*Applauds*

A perfect combination of IT and Paris Hilton angles.

26. Stratman
    Thumb Down

Palm scanners?

Just what were they expecting to find?

Yeuch!

27. Anonymous from Mars

If only...

"a virus infection called 'Chlamydia'"

If only chlamydia was, you know, a virus.

28. Anonymous Coward
    Go

wrong culprits named ?

Unlikely to have been LiLo, Paris, et al - from all reports, they leave em at home anyway, so wouldnt have had a pair to lose.......?

29. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

Security my arse

I once became lost in a large data center near a train station in London. I spent about 1 hour wandering around looking in rooms trying to find my collegues. In my bag there 2 phones, a camera, an ipaq, (no ipods then)a ibm 240x, and a flip disk (great device) plus lots of leads and screwdriversn stuff. When I entererd the building one rent a cop was out side smoking, one was reading )?) the daily sport and buzzed me in with out looking up i never signed in, and never met anyone other then a cleaner. I eventually found my rack space and my unix loving chums playing age of empires on the floor.

arent there often webcams in the room?

perhaps they came from a female................................ Has anyone seen one in a data centre? My point is im sure its possible to loose your self for so long in those crazy places that you made need to discard underware.................

30. tony trolle
    Stop

vibrations

anyone remember the vibrations of a eds80, I know of one lucky girl who got a little wet 'testing' for them........

31. TeeCee Gold badge
    Happy

Obvious.

They're now building computers so sexy that they can snap knicker elastic at range.

Upgrade time!

32. Daniel
    Coat

not boasting but ....

... shouldln't it be "19 inch rack mount"?

don't call a taxi for me. there are plenty driving past this time of day.

33. amlendu
    Paris Hilton

Cleaners maybe

It may be from the cleaners. May have been the cause of too much static so decided to get rid of the silky stuff.

34. Nordrick Framelhammer

It can't be...

any of the celebutards you mentioned. There is more cloth in that one pair than would be found in the entire knicker collection of all three combined.

Not only that, but the area ofg cloth, measured in square meters is grater than the sum of three of their IQ's.

35. alyn
    Linux

server names

Someone probably named one of the servers knickers (I once named one pants).

then said "knickers down" meaning the servers crashed. The poor girl misunderstood.

36. Terrence Bayrock
    Paris Hilton

Query about environmental conditions

How many "Hiltons" was the server room at when the offending (sic) items were found?

Clearly the size of the "item" in nanoWales could provide a clue....

--------------

[much too much nog for breakfast today.....................I need to clear my mind]

This topic is closed for new posts.