back to article COMET WILL DEFINITELY NOT HIT EARTH – NASA

Rather worryingly, US space agency NASA has out of the blue issued a strident denial that an approaching comet poses any threat to planet Earth. "COMET ELENIN POSES NO THREAT TO EARTH," begins the NASA statement emailed to the Register. "Often, comets are portrayed as harbingers of gloom and doom in movies and on television, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Cameron Colley

Where do I sign up for a place in one of those nuclear bunkers?

Nothing to do with the comet, it's not going to hit the earth, there's really nothing to worry about. Your call IS important to us...

1. Ru
      Terminator

The robot staff in our exclusive nuclear bunkers

represent NO THREAT AT ALL to the delicate meatbags who will be residing there in the event of cometary apocalypse. Any rumours that our potential customers may have heard regarding unreliable aggression inhibitors and downgrading of the Asimov laws to mere voluntary guidelines are TOTALLY FALSE.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Black Helicopters

What about the arks the government is building in China?

Me... I'm heading to Yellowstone to hang out with Woody Harrelson.

3. Marvin the Martian
      Mushroom

Bunkers? Stocks!

I'll be investing quickly in life insurance companies' shares... Think of it, all policies will mature suddenly, and the holders will not be able to cash in --- hence MEGAPROFIT for the companies and hence the shareholders.

I'll be LOADED, when we all go together.

2. PartTimeLegend
    Alien

public void Title {

Post = "We are all going to die!";

}

1. Alister
      Coat

object reference not set to an instance of an object

object Post not recognised

3. BadmashJavawallah
    Alien

Will it look pretty?

As someone cheated by Halley's comet back in the 80s it would be nice to have a big, visible comet. Just the once.

1. Mike Flugennock
      Coat

Cheated by Halley?

Yeah, that did kinda' suck after all the hype -- kinda' like Kohoutek.

Still, back in '94, Hale-Bopp was pretty sweet right about twilight in the eastern US for a while -- notwithstanding a bunch of idiot cultists who misunderstood the message "wait for the comment 'Hail Bob'!" and committed suicide..

1. MacroRodent

re: Cheated by Halley?

I too was seriously disappointed by Kohoutek, and after Halley was so far I feared I will never see a big comet with my own eyes, so it was very nice that Hale-Bobb and Hyakutake (in 1996) came along. The latter was IMHO the more impressive of the 1990's comets, at least where I live.

2. Winkypop Silver badge
      Alien

Cheated by Halley's?

Not here in the southern hemisphere!

On top of Falls Creek (ski resort) at 3am, HC was amazing...

3. ridley
      Facepalm

Hale Bopp?

So in early 1997 did you not go outside in the evening and look up?

Seemed pretty damn visible to me, very very big too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comet_Hale%E2%80%93Bopp

Been several other naked eye visible ones since too, though non as impresive IMHO.

Ridley

1. Mike Flugennock
        Facepalm

waitaminnit... Hale-Bopp was in...

...1997? Damn, that's right; thanks for refreshing my memory. I also recall the press brouhaha over a cult that thought the appearance of Hale-Bopp was a signal that their alien overlord was coming to pick them up in his mothership, so they all committed suicide with Jello shooters.

It was Shoemaker-Levy that crashed into Jupiter after being broken into fragments by Jupiter's gravity in '94; I remember some very spectacular HST images of that.

Thanks.

4. Peter Labrow

It's OK, I've already called Bruce Willis

He's on it.

1. TeeCee Gold badge
      Joke

He's on it?

Christ, the roaming charges on that call must have been horrendous.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Bruce Willis? Pah!

Chuck Norris could deal with it without any wimpy space suit stuff.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

No no no non no...

You got it all wrong...

Bruce Willis does comets and shit....

Chuck Norris does everything else.

Vin Diesel?

Vin Diesel could pwn all the lot of them, the comet included with his left little finger nail.

Vin FTW, I tell you... I mean...

Just look at the man...

Just look at the man....

When I grow up I wanna be a VIn Diesel

1. TheRead
          Coat

Proof of his superiority!

VIM Diesel, the superior editor.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I got a Berlingo

Does that count as a Van Diesel?

1. Francis Boyle Silver badge

I heard that Vin Diesel

joined Greenpeace. He's now called Vin Photo-Voltaic.

5. Monkey Bob
    Alert

Head for the hiiiiiiills!

It won't help, but the view will be nicer.

1. Mike Flugennock

Actually...

...the view will be best from the ISS, if this view of a Perseid coming in is any indication...

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/image/1108/iss028e024847perseid900.jpg

...as long as they aren't hit by a stray chunk.

6. Tom 38
    Stop

Hasn't anyone seen Deep Impact?!

This is precisely what they will say when one really is going to hit Earth!

@Cameron, I can't decide - the problem with bunkers is they tend to be underground, which could be a problem with a mega-super-tsunami. Anyone up for a week's camping up Ben Nevis?

1. Synonymous Howard

comet E.L.E.N.I.N. ? Hmm

Extinction Level Event - eNd Is Nigh !

Did Frodo, I mean Leo, spot it first? I'm digging in to the mountain right now.

7. Paul Hovnanian Silver badge
    Facepalm

Careful observations

NASA has made some careful observations to arrive at the conclusion that this comet poses no risk to the earth.

Now, was that meters or feet?

Furlongs???

1. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

It is actually in Angstroms

Sorry about the lack of accent mark on the 'A'.

I was berated enough as a child for mispronouncing his name by a parent who attended some of his lectures.

Anonymous to prevent further abuse.

8. Jim Carter
    Alien

Aside from all that

Will I be able to take nice, pretty photos of it?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

Sure!

And you'll be able to enjoy said pictures for a whopping 5 minutes before impact!

Oh wait, I meant bypass...

Can we scratch this comment please?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

i for one...

...welcome our planet-smashing, world-ending comet overlords...

(but it has been a long day so i'd welcome anything that means i don't have to go through all this again tomorrow)

10. Anonymous Coward
    Megaphone

re:

Please remain calm...

11. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

ELENIN - Extinction Level Event Now Imminent Naa-na-na-na-nah

So, yes, who named it and why? And, if so insignificant, why do they not give press releases for astronauts turds on intercept (or non-intercept) trajectory?

It wouldn't be so bad but there is little left to loot...so will just have to settle for mass orgy.

1. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

Comets are usually named...

...after their discoverer. Presumably a Dr* Elenin in this case.

*Please select correct title from drop-down list.

12. Chris Miller

Comet?

No-one in our local branch has been anywhere near planet Earth for decades.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Facepalm

If it is anything like around here

It will just leave the $3000 worth of packages just inside the glass front doors at 7am without a signature and we won't even see it.

*never had a delivery from actual Commet, but multiple other couriers have done this to us. To quote our major supplier "they are in a world of their own".

13. Anonymous Coward
    Angel

I, for one, welcome our new comet overlord

..etc..

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The old "poses no threat" gambit

I'm not falling for that.

I never heard of it before, now they mention it, clearly we are going to die.

15. Boris the Cockroach Silver badge
    Coat

Stop

joining the cover up... the comet will kill us all

By adding to the cover up , your esteemed publication shows it has joined the new world order in suppressing the truth

Must go now, seems the medication I take to control my paranoid delusions is wearing off

Mines the one with the tin foil hat in the pocket

1. Anonymous Coward
      Facepalm

In your coat pocket?

You NEVER take your tin foil hat off man!

16. NomNomNom

read between the lines

"Comet Elenin will make its closest approach to Earth on 16 October, at which point it will be 22 million miles away – more than 90 times as far off as the Moon."

that means the moon is only 244444 miles away. What's the moon doing that close? Didn't NASA have to fly millions of miles in the 60s to land on the moon? This tallies with my personal observations that recently the moon is appearing a lot bigger in the sky than I remember as a kid. Of course it has to fall down eventually but surely not this year. Does the moon go up and down in a cycle? It's funny how NASA even mentioned the moon there when the story was about a comet noone even knows about. I recommend watching the astronomological news closely from here on in.

1. Stoneshop
      Headmaster

@NomNomNom

A quick shufti with your favourite search engine would have told you that the moon is 356400 km to 406700 km from the earth (it wobbles a bit due to the cheese gases escaping in random directions) (that's 2577283 to 2941024 brontosauruses, 13137 to 14992 PARISes, or 221451 to 252706 miles).

And for those moon landing images it was just a bit of driving to the Nevada desert, not hundreds of thousands of miles in some tin can on top of a huge rocket.

1. Black Betty

Oh come now. The lady isn't that loose.

Oh, you meant the city. 17 miles of gusset coverage did seem a tad excessive.

2. Jimbo 6

@Stoneshop

Nobody uses silly units like miles any more - what's that in Linguine ?

1. Stoneshop

@Jimbo 6

Linguine? C'mon, just convert from brontosauruses.

2. Annihilator
      Boffin

Sarcasm?

"that means the moon is only 244444 miles away"

Erm, yes. That's about right. It's ~250,000 miles away at the furthest point. Apologies if there's some weird sarcasm going on in your post that I'm missing...

3. CD001

Isn't

Isn't the moon actually moving away from the earth at a rate of something like 2cms a year? It's not going to fall down but slowly drift away...

17. Martin
    Happy

Reminds me of the old Marty Feldman sketch...

...which starts with two bored airline pilots flying a plane; suddenly one of the reaches for the intercom and says "Ladies and Gentlemen - this is your captain speaking. There is absolutely nothing to worry about."

1. conel
      Thumb Up

The wings are not on fire!

The Marty amok airline pilots sketch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uq-cw2DHQeo

2. Mike Flugennock
      Coffee/keyboard

Reminds me of the old Marty Feldman sketch...

"...which starts with two bored airline pilots flying a plane; suddenly one of the reaches for the intercom and says "Ladies and Gentlemen - this is your captain speaking. There is absolutely nothing to worry about."

Which, in turn, reminds me of an old Monty Python bit: "Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome aboard East Scottish Airways. There is no need to panic."

18. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Easy solution to the idiots panicing

You can buy my special anti-comet elixir for only US$9999 - based upon homeopathic techniques, it has some cometary gasses (CN) to make you resistant to the effects of the comet.

You can also buy a space in my special comet-proof bunker for only US$999999.

Don't worry, the bunker is hermetically sealed so that no nasty comet gasses can get in.

(fail for the idiots worrying about this....)

1. LaeMing
      Go

Best thing is

after the commet goes past and they are not harmed, they can't claim it didn't work!

19. Synja

So... when should we start looting?

I need a new ThinkPad.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Black Helicopters

Careful

a post like that could get you arrested.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This is related to that big arrow on the face of Titan

because obviously that's entirely innocuous as well

21. Craig 28

Bloody idiots

I have to wonder if anyone is stupid enough to ask essentially "If it isn't a risk and it isn't important why aren't you talking about it more?"

Because it isn't important enough to warrant the effort and there really isn't anything interesting to say you complete pillock.

Some people are too stupid to deserve the internet.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Pint

Averages

To misquote the head of the CBI "Half of the population are below average intelligence". This is the reason NASA also had to produce a disclaimer for the Mayan prediction of the end of the world in 2012 http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/features/2012.html

"Nothing bad will happen to the Earth in 2012. Our planet has been getting along just fine for more than 4 billion years, and credible scientists worldwide know of no threat associated with 2012."

Shame about the incredible population.

22. Olafthemighty
    Alert

I need to know!

Do we run _for_ the hills or away from them?

23. Entropiated
    Megaphone

Don't eat it!

*ignores NASA information totally* Looks like we're going to be covered in snow here soon. I'm from Canada, so it's no biggie for me. But I'd just like to remind those of us who aren't as familiar with this form of precipitation to avoid eating the yellow snow.

24. The Fuzzy Wotnot
    Happy

Altogether now....

"Always look on the bright side of life!"

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I don't care if it hits or not

I just want to see a really bright comet some point in my lifetime (possibly right at the end just before the impact). We're well overdue one to rival the beautiful comets of the 18th and 19th Centuries.

1. Uncle Slacky Silver badge
      Stop

How old are you?

Hale-Bopp was pretty damned impressive: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comet_hale_bopp

2. LaeMing
      Boffin

They generally look better

side-on than end-on.

Though because of the way the tail orients relative to the solar wind rather than behind the direction of travel, getting hit on its return loop might be rather interesting.

3. Chris Miller
      Thumb Up

Me too

Though I well remember Bennett in 1970 as a spectacular naked eye object (West in 1976 was brighter, but not as well placed for viewing). Since then, they've mostly been fuzzy blobs - even through binoculars. We're overdue for a good one.

But we should also remember that night skies were much darker before 20th century street lighting, and that we rely on "artists' impressions" for older comets.

26. Havin_it
    Headmaster

WHY ARE WE SHOUTING?

Tell me, was the email subject line in caps? Bet it wasn't.

Not loving the recent caps-friendly headline tendency, FWIW. What's wrong with an exclamation mark? Or are you finding this idiom necessary, lest the shouty headlines be confused with Ones! About! Yahoo!?

Only a fraction less annoying than your love of <strike> tags that renders your headlines gibberish in most RSS readers.

And just for the sake of adding something of value(?) while detracting, the redacted wordy answers are here:

http://www.space.com/12657-comet-elenin-nasa-questions-answers-facts.html

27. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

REGISTER IN GRAVITATIONAL GENERATOR AUTOMOBILE COVER UP

You INTENTIONALLY omitted this, from NASA's FAQ

"So you've got a modest-sized icy dirtball that is getting no closer than 35 million kilometers (about 22 million miles)" said Yeomans. "It will have an immeasurably minuscule influence on our planet. By comparison, my subcompact automobile exerts a greater influence on the ocean's tides than comet Elenin ever will."

That's HIS subcompact car, which he does not deny may be some DARPA developed doomsday tidal force and conspiracy theory generating subcompact. Now we understand the bailout of General Motors and Obama's directions to emphasize smaller cars. We're talking about a subcompact car that generates more tidal forces than one of the most worrying comets in decades!

Maybe it is a Comet itself! Or a GALAXY!?!?! Or a Fit.

28. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Stop

Comet e-Lenin?

Well, there's a Red Alert!

29. newtonslife
    Alert

Tickets to the bunker only £20k

Im pleased to say i am inviting selected applicants to my personal bunker and a rock bottom price of only £20,000 per seat. We have to see photographs of the applicants beforehand and interviews will take place for these places. Preference with go to 19 year old blonde girls, applications on a clean £50 note to....

30. Annihilator
    Paris Hilton

Spleling* mistake in the headline

"COMET WILL DEFINITELY NOT HIT EARTH"

Shirley if you're aiming to ape the panicked message, it should be spelt "DEFINATELY" or "DEFINIATELY"

* Yes, that's deliberate

31. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

Maybe...

...Steve Ballmer, Bill Gates, Larry Ellison, Steve Jobs and Nickleback will drink some "special" Koolaid in preparation to go up to the mothership that is behind the comet?

1. Gareth Gouldstone
      Alien

This one, you mean?

http://9to5mac.com/2011/06/07/steve-jobs-presents-ideas-for-new-apple-super-campus-to-cupertino-city-council/

32. Thomas 4
    Mushroom

You're all morons.

NASA says there's absolutely nothing to worry about, so why the needlessly scaremongering article? THERE'S POSITIVELY DEFINITELY ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT! *wink wink*

<----carefully modelled computer simulation of WHAT IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

33. John Dougald McCallum
    Joke

Comet

strange I read almost the same response to this visitation in Starynight news letter some days back they even stated that it wasent even Naburu that plannet destroying behemoth that has our number on it.Hmmm strange.

34. Number6

John Cleese

Anyone else remember the pilot sketch:

"This is your captain speaking. There is absolutely no cause for alarm" and then steadily downhill from there...

35. me n u
    Stop

dying is highly underrated...

...everyone should try it at least once.

36. Alan Firminger

What NASA are really saying ...

... is give us more money.

37. Gareth Gouldstone
    Mushroom

E.L.E.N.I.N.

Extinction Level Event, Nasty Impact Near

38. Steven Jones

Aaiee! We're all going to die!

True, but not all at the same time.

39. Dropper
    Alert

I believe them

You forgot to ask "If it hits the moon, will it act like a fancy pool shot and pocket the moon into the Pacific?"

Then of course a nod to the others that have already stated this is precisely what they would say if the comet was definitely going to chew off a sizeable chunk of our planet. At least they didn't say "What comet? There's no comet on a direct collision course with the earth.."

40. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

Another "Deep Impact" parallel?

The first three letters of comet Elenin are "ELE". As anyone who has seen the fine piece of apparent future history that is Deep Impact can tell you, ELE stands for "extinction level event" occuring when a heavenly body (like, say, a comet) collides with Earth! Plus we have an African-American (who is unfortunately not Morgan Freeman) in the White House!!

So, with this information in hand, I will bid you all adieu and retire to my mountain survival bunker, or maybe just the bar on the corner. In closing, let me say.....

RUN!!!! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!! Anarchy!!! Anarchy!!!!!!!

41. Colin Miller
    Alien

URL

for the release is http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.cfm?release=2011-255

42. Anonymous Coward
    Mushroom

P.S.--If anyone sees Bruce Willis, tell him that NASA was asking for him

But NASA told me to tell you to tell Bruce that its definitely not about the approaching comet, which is absolutely not going to hit Earth causing a 2000 foot high tsunami and enveloping the earth in a nuclear winter-inducing shroud of dust for the next 6 years--no sir-eee!!!

In fact, NASA said that they don't even know why they mentioned the comet at all, and could they please have all my canned and dried foods for some kind of office party involving putting the world's leading scientists in a former salt mine, which I thought was kind of a strange request--but of course I gave them the food.

Anyway, if anyone sees Bruce Willis....

1. Mike Flugennock
      Thumb Up

Anyway, if anyone sees Bruce Willis...

...oh, wow, yeah, that's a helluvan idea; Bruce Willis actually played a retired astronaut in a movie once. He's just the guy they need.

1. Nordrick Framelhammer
        Thumb Down

No thanks.

I would rather take Team Dædalus to a bunch of drillheads.

43. LaeMing
    Happy

Time to board the B ark

Mind those dirty telephones.

44. AndrueC Silver badge
    Joke

I've read Lucifer's Hammer

..and apparently the key to survival is to cosy up to a senator with a stunning red haired daughter, support your local nuclear power station and avoid cannibalism.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Stop

Unfortunately

That story was before Fukushima.

We now know that US-designed 1st-generation nukes pop a gasket and croak at the slightest tremor.

45. JamieL
    Flame

so Harold Camping is a few days out then...

Here is Harold Camping's response from a press conference on Monday 23 May, 2011 at Family Radio headquarters, Oakland, California:

"On May 21, this last weekend, this is where the spiritual aspect of it really comes through. God again brought judgment on the world. We didn't see any difference but God brought Judgment Day to bear upon the whole world. The whole world is under Judgment Day and it will continue right up until Oct. 21, 2011 and by that time the whole world will be destroyed,"

46. Mike Flugennock
    Alien

Hey, laugh if you want...

...and I know _I_ am, but you wouldn't believe how the Drudge Report reacts to this stuff. It's flat-out comical -- sad, but comical. If a NEO is predicted to pass so much as a million miles from Earth, Drudge runs a 72 point bold ALL CAPS headline across the top of the page reading OH, MY GOD! IT'S COMING RIGHT FOR US! with a production still from "Deep Impact" and that stupid-assed animated spinning police light over it.

47. John Savard

Golden Opportunity

Apparently, the minor, tiny, and obscure Comet Elenin was an opportunity for some people to spread panic, and fleece a crowd of worshipful followers. Hence the statement from NASA.

48. Steven Roper

I also remember seeing Halley's comet

And realising there's not a lot left of it after all that ablation by the Sun. Hale-Bopp wasn't that much of a spectacle either - at least from Australia

Two comets that have stood out here were Hyakutake (1996) and McNaught (2006). In fact McNaught was the most spectacular astronomical sight I've ever seen; like the famous Donati's Comet (1858), it had a huge, curved tail that spanned half the sky.

49. Nordrick Framelhammer
    WTF?

Comet?

I though airlines has stopped flying those things long ago.

1. sT0rNG b4R3 duRiD

Hmm...

Yep...didn't they have a nasty habit of hitting the earth?

50. John Savard
    Black Helicopters

Where is Dr. Hans Zarkov now that we need him?

Clearly we have to send "Flash" Gordon, college polo player, to Comet Elenin, where he can overthrow its evil tyrant, and use the comet's radium-powered rockets to divert it from its collision course with Earth!

I mean, that's what this is all about, isn't it?

But since the comet is passing by in November 2011, it's clearly thirteen months too early for the end of the world... as any idiot can plainly see.

1. CD001

Dr. Flexi Jerkoff

Good, there's oxygen on this planet.

2. Arthur Jackson
      Coat

Gordons Alive !!!!

Aha

51. 404
    Black Helicopters

Thank God!

I haven't even STARTED on my hobbit hole w/built-in geothermal power generation yet!

<shakes fist at imaginary assembled reporters>

;)

52. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Damned if you do and ........

damned if you dont.

Poor NASA, if they hadnt said anything about this comet, sooner or later people would start saying the LACK of news meant a cover-up and that it was going to hit us.

If anyone wants me I will be sitting in a supertanker full of food and teenage girls over the deepest part of the Pacific ocean on that day... purely coincidental I assure you!!

53. bugalugs
    Angel

I was worried about where elenin spelt backwards was taking us

but I see they've left out an e and the nev needed to really crank the conspiracy chaps up

54. Winkypop Silver badge
    Alien

Take away pizza

Relax, it's just an intergalactic pizza delivery.

I hope it's still hot.

55. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

We DID have $15k to spend on comet avoidance...

... but we spent it on Legos instead.

56. Is it me?

out of the frying pan then

Depending on where it hits, there's a good chance the tectonic shock would trigger the Yellowstone super volcano.

Try the Canadian shield much more stable.

57. stu 19

22 million miles

So, like, the same distance to the nearest open petrol station on a wet Tuesday at half eleven, when the tank is on red line.

That seems pretty close to me !! But hey, I've only ever actually run out of petrol once... oh

58. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Aaiee! We're all going to die!"

Obviously. But what has that got to do with comets?

59. This post has been deleted by its author

60. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

What if...

Suppose the comet does hit the earth and we're all going to die. Who can I sue in the afterlife?

OH NO, I start to sound like a American now....

61. Gusty O'Windflap

well I am a frood

who really knows where his towel is, so I will be okay

62. Wize

Comet Elenin?

Why do I have a song by Dexys Midnight Runners stuck in my head now.

1. sT0rNG b4R3 duRiD

Err...

Cos your lysdexic? :P

63. Ray 8
    Mushroom

No need to panic..

until NASA report that it is decelerating..

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Alien

FOOTFALL!

That was why Krugman was going on about whipping up a Space Aliens Menace to kickstart the economy through war spending.

He knew it!

I KNEW it!

And the US doesn't have a Project Orion, a Space Shuttle fleet or a warehouse full of Gamma Ray Lasers to show them. We are gonna lose to four-legged Space Pizarro.

64. Neil McDowell

Hale-Bopp

was the follow up to Mmm-Bopp????

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like